Caught on camera: UPS delivery driver throws packages out of truck in Wheat Ridge

Integrity

Binge Poster
I find it incredibly hard to call that “throwing”. Sure, it’s not “textbook” package handling but really, it’s nothing.
You are entitled to your opinion but customers do deserve to get what they are paying for.

IMO Customers are paying for “textbook package care”, they deserve it and they have every right to expect it.

IMO Management personnel who observe non “textbook” package care and allow it to go uncorrected should be fired.

bbsam

Staff member
You are entitled to your opinion but customers do deserve to get what they are paying for.

IMO Customers are paying for “textbook package care”, they deserve it and they have every right to expect it.

IMO Management personnel who observe non “textbook” package care and allow it to go uncorrected should be fired.
Textbook care does not exist in this industry. If I remember correctly, shippers are urged to package items to be able to “withstand a three foot fall.”
Maybe it’s simply a matter of people reading the textbook differently.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Textbook care does not exist in this industry. If I remember correctly, shippers are urged to package items to be able to “withstand a three foot fall.”
Maybe it’s simply a matter of people reading the textbook differently.
I disagree.

While handling packages I have always used “hand to surface” package handling methods.

I do agree that generally speaking customers do not get what they pay for within the industry.

IMO Big corporations do have most of the power but that doesn’t make them any less a sham when they cheat customers out of their money in this way.

bbsam

Staff member
I disagree.

While handling packages I have always used “hand to surface” package handling methods.

I do agree that generally speaking customers do not get what they pay for within the industry.

IMO Big corporations do have most of the power but that doesn’t make them any less a sham when they cheat customers out of their money in this way.
Then when exactly does the exception to the rule become simply an anomaly and the rule itself quite meaningless?

If you concur that generally speaking “hand to surface” is little more than a catchphrase but people still pay for what they are getting, what difference does it even make? Videos like the one posted by the OP pop up every year, nobody really cares, business goes on as usual...rinse and repeat. Looking at quarterly reports, the company certainly isn’t going broke paying damage claims.

Seems to me that there’s little cause or concern for anyone to change anything.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
shippers are urged to package items to be able to “withstand a three foot fall.”
I thought it was more than that... but yeah, cargo falls off shelves all the time in package cars

Even I don't use hand to surface all the time when I know if it's a box of paper or dog food or a bag of clothing, just being honest

Integrity

Binge Poster
Then when exactly does the exception to the rule become simply an anomaly and the rule itself quite meaningless?

If you concur that generally speaking “hand to surface” is little more than a catchphrase but people still pay for what they are getting, what difference does it even make? Videos like the one posted by the OP pop up every year, nobody really cares, business goes on as usual...rinse and repeat. Looking at quarterly reports, the company certainly isn’t going broke paying damage claims.

Seems to me that there’s little cause or concern for anyone to change anything.
Not sure of your point.

Justifying improper businesses practices because a Corporation is powerful and rich will not ever change the truth about the improper business practices. Not giving customers what they pay for is not right and will never be right.

Arguably It is in a way stealing from the customer.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I thought it was more than that... but yeah, cargo falls off shelves all the time in package cars

Even I don't use hand to surface all the time when I know if it's a box of paper or dog food or a bag of clothing, just being honest
I have see many damaged boxes of paper, bags of dog food, and clothing bags in my time here.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Ditto, but not from the final stage of delivery... It's usually damaged in the sorting process like a small being caught on rollers or something or a box falling off a conveyor belt. Or other boxes ramming into each other

bbsam

Staff member
Not sure of your point.

Justifying improper businesses practices because a Corporation is powerful and rich will not ever change the truth about the improper business practices. Not giving customers what they pay for is not right and will never be right.

The point is that 80 mph in a 70 mph zone is speeding but you’ll see it every day.
Occasionally you’ll see someone pulled over for it, but in general speeding has become an acceptable practice. Nobody really condones it but many if not most are guilty of it. If you get a ticket, you probably just pay it and continue on.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Not sure of your point.

And how many, IYO, pay for white glove service?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I disagree.

What do you think customers are paying for? They are paying for transport of their merchandise to their customers. We will refund their money if we miss a commit, and there is an automatic insurance against damage up to $100, which they can increase at extra cost. That's it.

Our work methods are not a guarantee to our customers. That's like saying customers aren't getting what they pay for when drivers don't use the handrail in and out of the package car. If the receivers get their packages on time, and we file damage reports as they occur, we are fulfilling our duty to our customers.

It is up to UPS to correct any employees whose methods are causing excessive damage, thus costing the company money. That is a duty to the shareholders, not to the customer.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
What do you think customers are paying for? They are paying for transport of their merchandise to their customers. We will refund their money if we miss a commit, and there is an automatic insurance against damage up to $100, which they can increase at extra cost. That's it.

Our work methods are not a guarantee to our customers. That's like saying customers aren't getting what they pay for when drivers don't use the handrail in and out of the package car. If the receivers get their packages on time, and we file damage reports as they occur, we are fulfilling our duty to our customers.

It is up to UPS to correct any employees whose methods are causing excessive damage, thus costing the company money. That is a duty to the shareholders, not to the customer.

Well said.

But I disagree.