cell phones

retired2000

just heard that because of the death of one of our pkg car drivers. sups are no longer to call their drivers on the employees cellphone. this may have been a cause of the accident. is this true anywhere else? if not it should be

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
We actually had to sign a waiver indicating that we promised not to talk on the phone AT ALL, period. No cell phone calls during work hours . . . yet we get paged all the time to call the centre or dispatch or whatever, so I guess it's ok to drive around for ten minutes looking for a pay phone . . .

Nor are we allowed to listen to MP3 players or even have a radio for that matter.

UPS is the death of fun.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Never been a word said in my center about cell phones. They call the drivers all the time on their phones. Personally I refuse to own one. If I did you can be sure that UPS would not have my number.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Several people have my number, and I have caller ID, for certain customers, work , etc. I look when I stop, if I feel it important I call. I never talk on the phone driving a company truck, and barely driving a personal truck.

brownrodster

let me clarify.

Drivers and sups use cell phones all day. I get calls from my sup and other drivers, etc... But, the truck cannot be moving while you are talking on the phone. That is the rule. But I saw a feeder driver go by me a few days ago while he was on the phone. Maybe they're aloud to??? But I think it's now a state law to not talk and drive.

AirDriverAmy

I try not to use my cell phone while driving. I have used it in the past. It looks real unprofessional. I try to keep myself looking like a pro at all times.

Fishbulb

in my center its one of those things where everyone does it but if management is out to get someone they'll use it against you. personally i dont like to use it while driving & hate the things altogether. only 2 people call my cell phone- my girlfriend & work, typically i dont want to hear from either when i'm on the road. i normally cant hear anything over the noise of the truck anyway, a lot of times i dont even hear it ring. a lot of drivers used to use the bluetooth thingy where it stuck in their ear, management said it screwed up info transmitting signal but i think thats BS. in my state its illegal to drive while on a cell phone unless its a hands-free device but everyone does it anyway, cops & all.

VTBrown

I have yet to figure out WHY you guys give the center your cell numbers????

Diad 4 is cellular, then can reach you if need be.

It would be one thing if UPS provides the phone but my cell is for emergencies and my personal use. Not for UPS to call me and see if I can cover some pick ups.

Fishbulb

just because its so much easier VT. rather than send 10 messages back & forth through the diad i'd rather just make 1 quick phone call. or if i'm not getting the answers i like from 1 manager i'll call another & get what i want. also theres been times when i dont get the messages they send at all(most likely the OMS forgot to send it). When they start getting out of hand, last week they called me while i was in the doctors office to see what time i would be in even though i told them at least 4 times the prior day when i would be in, then i tell them dont call me until they start paying my bill.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
One of my cohorts received a disciplinary letter for using his phone while driving. That's enough for me to know they are getting serious about it, as well they should.

raceanoncr

just because its so much easier VT. rather than send 10 messages back & forth through the diad i'd rather just make 1 quick phone call. or if i'm not getting the answers i like from 1 manager i'll call another & get what i want. also theres been times when i dont get the messages they send at all(most likely the OMS forgot to send it). When they start getting out of hand, last week they called me while i was in the doctors office to see what time i would be in even though i told them at least 4 times the prior day when i would be in, then i tell them dont call me until they start paying my bill.

Fish, you kinda contradicted yourself here. On one hand you say it's easier for them to have your number and call you on duty and for you to call them about duty-related issues.

On the other hand, you admit it gets out of hand! Them calling you at DR office! I can't imagine this scenario...calling me on my off time...ON MY CELL PHONE!

OK, it may be easier to make one or two calls, BUT, are you getting paid by the hour? Are THEY the ones initiating the calls? If it's THEIR problem, then THEY gotta take the heat! In other words, they gotta wait til you get thru on that DIAD if that is procedure or they gotta wait til you can get to pay phone!

You say some messages don't even go thru on DIAD? Is that YOUR problem?

As a feeder driver, I use a hands-free, which has been approved, for my PERSONAL use. They have asked many times for my # but I merely tell them there are other ways of getting ahold of me and maybe they should have dispatched correctly in the first place.

Hi-tech, yeah, right!

brownrodster

I have yet to figure out WHY you guys give the center your cell numbers????

Diad 4 is cellular, then can reach you if need be.

I don't see what the problem with management call you is. I may get a few calls per week asking if I need help or if I can help someone else or whatever. Get messages all the time too on the DIAD. Anytime I help or get help I talk to the other driver on the cell phone.

I don't have a home phone so the cell is all I have and I'm pretty sure UPS requires that they have some way to contact you.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
We actually had to sign a waiver indicating that we promised not to talk on the phone AT ALL, period. No cell phone calls during work hours . . . yet we get paged all the time to call the centre or dispatch or whatever, so I guess it's ok to drive around for ten minutes looking for a pay phone . . .[/quote]
Ever get reimbursed for the pay phone?:confused:1Take it out of your COD's?:wink:

I don't have a home phone so the cell is all I have and I'm pretty sure UPS requires that they have some way to contact you.
If it's important, they'll send you a registered letter.:laugh:

VTBrown

They have no need to be calling my personal cell. If it's that big of a deal. They can provide them for us.

Other then that the Diad works great as does leaving messages for you to call at your pick ups.

Fish.....you didn't make much sense there. Do you or don't you like them calling you on it?:)

N

not me

remember back in the day when they did provide us with the text pagers and the air drivers even got the cells...
They had us sign this form saying we will contact our sup by such a time if we were to 9-5 them...I always call collect [=

our center theyll call your cell no problem...And youre only pulled in the office if caught when they dont care for you...

SmithBarney

I told my sups once, unless someone is dead or dying don't call me.
If I need something bad enough, I'll call, otherwise its the DIAD for all my messages..

We had one on-car saying "oh it doesn't cost you anything cause we are both on verizon"
BS I said "it costs me $60 a month for "free" phone calls.. you wanna pay it?"

Caller ID is great, when they call, I just push ignore. (and I don't answer calls I don't recognize)