center manager go's off on driver in PCM

DSM515

Had a fellow driver make a huge rookie mistake last night. Drove past a stop, instead of having his helper run it two houses back, he backed and opened up a side of a car like a tuna can. Very stupid on his part and took full blame from the git go didn't try too make excuses or smooth it over. he new he fudged up. So this AM in the PCM our center manager makes him get up in front of all the driver throws the marker at him and makes him draw it out on a white board. Ok not so bad. Then he go's into a rant about how HE the center manager has to explain this on a confrence call bla bla bla and precedes to say "I'm not picking on -drivers name- well yes I am and if he wants too file a harassment grievance the steward is sitting over there"
I personally was very embarrassed for the driver and thought this is way out of line and unprofessional. My question is first shouldn't the steward stepped up and said enough is enough we can finish this in private? And second do you think it's out of line?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Had a fellow driver make a huge rookie mistake last night. Drove past a stop, instead of having his helper run it two houses back, he backed and opened up a side of a car like a tuna can. Very stupid on his part and took full blame from the git go didn't try too make excuses or smooth it over. he new he fudged up. So this AM in the PCM our center manager makes him get up in front of all the driver throws the marker at him and makes him draw it out on a white board. Ok not so bad. Then he go's into a rant about how HE the center manager has to explain this on a confrence call bla bla bla and precedes to say "I'm not picking on -drivers name- well yes I am and if he wants too file a harassment grievance the steward is sitting over there"
I personally was very embarrassed for the driver and thought this is way out of line and unprofessional. My question is first shouldn't the steward stepped up and said enough is enough we can finish this in private? And second do you think it's out of line?
You should be embarrassed for the center manager more than the driver.

Out of line?
How about 10 yards over the line?
There is no room for that at UPS.

It is peak but that is not a good enough excuse for that.

Ouch

The driver should have requested the steward. Just because you mess up doesn't mean you have to wear something around their neck that says I did it. Should be a grievance filed for harassment. Doesn't give the center manager the right to publicly humiliate the guy. Very unprofesional on the center manager's part if you ask me.

DSM515

He's lucky he didn't get fired and I understand this but I just think it was uncalled for. I will keep this in mind for the future Overallowed! as I wipe up the coke I just blew out my nose

DSM515

You should be embarrassed for the center manager more than the driver.

Out of line?
How about 10 yards over the line?
There is no room for that at UPS.

It is peak but that is not a good enough excuse for that.
He never made a excuse, didn't I say that? I guess I think treating other human beings with respect at all times means more too me than you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
He never made a excuse, didn't I say that? I guess I think treating other human beings with respect at all times means more too me than you.
What I meant was that the center manager made fool of himself and you should feel embarrassed for him.
Think about it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It was a bad attempt at discipline. Humiliation is not part of discipline when you are an adult. But I would expect no less, I have seen it before.
Accidents happen, especially this time of year.
More Trucks on the road,+more people on the road+more temps+added hours+overwork+ stress=we are going to have more accidents.
But management doesn't get math, Or statistics. just their new math. Which is totally out of whack.
If it isn't measured on a print out, it does not matter.
Common sense and decency cannot be put on a print out, it comes from within.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We had a seasonal driver taken by ambulance for either a panic attack or stroke. Wonder what the pcm yelling match will be tomorrow.

DSM515

I'm sure he wish he was fired knowing he has a clean record and will get his job back at some point, while he was being humiliated in front of at least 30+ drivers, sups, security and who ever else was around plus a steward who didn't say a peep.

542thruNthru

I for one would have never even went up to the board. He would have tossed the marker at me and I would have let it hit me and fall to the ground. Then I would have said " please show me in the job description where it says I'm Bob Ross." I sorry there is no way in hell I explain anything to anyone during a PCM.

I know I might be asking for some bad feed back but I would have been seriously thinking or getting in a small ran over a trash can like accident just to stick it to him.

For those of you that dont know Bob Ross look it up I'm sure you will remember him once you see his face. :)