center manager go's off on driver in PCM

Marne Vet

Couple years back, center manager opened up the PCM by telling us to stretch. I stood there with my arms crossed and he started this tirade about how know one listens to him and heads were gonna roll

MADE MY DAY :wink-very:

Had a center manager go off on a rant one day about how our Center was bringing back too many Send Agains. Mind you, we work in the ghetto. He says "I don't care if you have to DR it on the roof! get it done!" One of our drivers says "Will UPS be supplying us with ladders?" He lost it. haha Greatest moment ever. The center manager has been fired a few years now. What a tool.

DSM515

Lots of the fellow drivers here are still shocked it went too this level first and foremost. This is a perfect example how there is two sets of standards at UPS. If a steward went off on a center manager like that he would be walked out. I believe that would be justified, but THEY can get away with it? It's past the point of why this happened, it's the question now what will happen?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Lots of the fellow drivers here are still shocked it went too this level first and foremost. This is a perfect example how there is two sets of standards at UPS. If a steward went off on a center manager like that he would be walked out. I believe that would be justified, but THEY can get away with it? It's past the point of why this happened, it's the question now what will happen?

I would expect the Teamsters to at least send him a Warning Letter!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Well obviously I dont know how to quote yet. Dragon, I deleted your post by "accident" and rewrote it the best I could. I believe the diver thought he could do it just this one time, and it happened. Stupid, yes, accident yes. If it had been deliberate, it would not be an accident.
ac·ci·dent
ˈaksidənt/
noun
noun: accident; plural noun: accidents
  1. 1.
    an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
    "he had an accident at the factory"
    synonyms:mishap, misadventure, unfortunate incident, mischance, misfortune, disaster, tragedy, catastrophe, calamity;More
    technicalcasualty
    "an accident at work"
    • a crash involving road or other vehicles, typically one that causes serious damage or injury.
      "four people were killed in a car accident"
      synonyms:crash, collision, smash, bump, car crash;More
      wreck;
      informalsmash-up, pileup, fender bender
      "she was injured in a highway accident"
    • informal
      used euphemistically to refer to an incidence of incontinence, typically by a child or an animal.
  2. 2.
    an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.
    "the pregnancy was an accident"
    synonyms:(mere) chance, coincidence, twist of fate, freak;Mo

C

chuchu

What I meant was that the center manager made fool of himself and you should feel embarrassed for him.
Think about it.
Unless he's YOUR center manager:)

But, I've never walked in his shoes. I cant judge him but a person wants to.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Unless he's YOUR center manager. :)

But, I've never walked in his shoes. I cant judge him but you want to.

I know what behavior is expected of a professional UPS management person.
The behavior described in this thread is not professional.

Furthermore, I don't believe for one second that you can't judge him.
I've read way too many of your posts.
You could judge an ant walking across the sidewalk. :wink2:

C

chuchu

There's two ways of handling those kind of issues.

If the center manager doesn't normally portray. that kind of degrading attitude the members looks of unbelief and silence (lack of a rebuke) may bring him to reflect on what he did later when the drivers were gone and precipitate a public apology in the next PCM and deepen his respect level with the drivers.

If he is normally an unprofessional person....well, let nature take it's course on paper.

C

chuchu

I know what behavior is expected of a professional UPS management person.
The behavior described in this thread is not professional.

Furthermore, I don't believe for one second that you can't judge him.
I've read way too many of your posts.
You could judge an ant walking across the sidewalk.
Hoax, we're all human and make mistakes.

If it's a chronic problem, well, that should reap a quick response.

If it's because he (the center manager) had his job threatened by the DM in the morning conference call (over the accident) and maybe other issues he cant control are mounting up and he doesn't normally act that way, well maybe he needs a little space at the moment.

You have to look at the whole picture if you want lasting changes.

If the employees want some grace on their mistakes, they have to give some too when it's needed.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The driver should have told the center manager we can take this outside and settle this like real men not like little girls. Winner keeps his job loser quits lol. Punk that son of a bitch down. Thats bs i woulda put a scare in him like he aint never been scared in his life. He woulda seen what a crazy person really looks like lol.

C

chuchu

I know that I come across hard core a lot but that (normally) has to do with dealing with management teams that were extremely dishonest and abusive.

We don't have that kind of element in our center now.

I've seen and heard drivers say things to supervision that they should have been taken out of service for but instead the supervisor overlooked it and tried to get to the root of their frustration and make the coversation end up productive. You have to repect people like that.

We have a new center manager who isn't well versed in the contract and pretty green at his job so he makes many contractural mistakes but his heart is right toward the workers so i dont file on his mistakes at the drop of a hat. I explain the issues in a respectful way and he normally tries to fix the issues. I respect that.

If he was a jerk and prided himself in being one I would fill his office full of paperwork to get his attention.

You reap what you plant.

DSM515

He's not a bad guy for the most part, except he's very vindictive, plays favorites and has our union steward in his back pocket. I told said driver he has 5 working days too file if he isn't man enough too apologize in public. So it's in his court now.

beavis

He's not a bad guy for the most part, except he's very vindictive, plays favorites and has our union steward in his back pocket. I told said driver he has 5 working days too file if he isn't man enough too apologize in public. So it's in his court now.
I wouldn't put it on the driver to file. Since there were 30 witnesses I would have the steward or somebody else from the group write a class action grievance getting signatures and statements from everybody. Show some solidarity.

over9five

Staff member
I wouldn't put it on the driver to file. Since there were 30 witnesses I would have the steward or somebody else from the group write a class action grievance getting signatures and statements from everybody. Show some solidarity.

It happened in Package in front of package car drivers.
Nothing will happen.

C

chuchu

He's not a bad guy for the most part, except he's very vindictive, plays favorites and has our union steward in his back pocket. I told said driver he has 5 working days too file if he isn't man enough too apologize in public. So it's in his court now.[/quot
Vote yourselves in a steward (and alternate steward) that's honest.

There's no place for a puppet union steward in the UPS system.

Never put up with that corruption.

C

chuchu

You have to talk wih the center manager first and sinice he did it in public he should apologize to the driver in the same public setting.

If he won't, file. But you have to give him a chance to fix it first.