center manager go's off on driver in PCM

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Had a fellow driver make a huge rookie mistake last night. Drove past a stop, instead of having his helper run it two houses back, he backed and opened up a side of a car like a tuna can. Very stupid on his part and took full blame from the git go didn't try too make excuses or smooth it over. he new he fudged up. So this AM in the PCM our center manager makes him get up in front of all the driver throws the marker at him and makes him draw it out on a white board. Ok not so bad. Then he go's into a rant about how HE the center manager has to explain this on a confrence call bla bla bla and precedes to say "I'm not picking on -drivers name- well yes I am and if he wants too file a harassment grievance the steward is sitting over there"
I personally was very embarrassed for the driver and thought this is way out of line and unprofessional. My question is first shouldn't the steward stepped up and said enough is enough we can finish this in private? And second do you think it's out of line?

The steward should not have said "enough is enough, can we finish this in private?" The steward should have showed his ass and told the center manager to go self-fornicate in his office.

99% of the time, I treat managers and supervisors with the same respect they show me and my members and we can be civil, even if we disagree. A manager trying to embarrass and belittle a member -- especially in front of his coworkers -- needs to be dropped a few pegs ASAP.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You should be embarrassed for the center manager more than the driver.

Out of line?
How about 10 yards over the line?
There is no room for that at UPS.

It is peak but that is not a good enough excuse for that.
There's an excuse for everything in the operations management playbook. I've seen a 9 month pregnant woman harassed for working too slowly, so this public outing isn't outrageous.

island1fox

Review incident with all drivers --for safety reasons --do not mention what driver.

The way the center manager is described in this situation --acted totally unprofessional !!!!

oldngray

nowhere special
41pBTIxhusL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5ELBFY...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00F5ELBFY

Retiredmgr

Very unprofessional behavior on part of the center manager. should not have been done in a PCM. He could have asked the driver if he could review his accident with the safety committee. Then it would be a learning thing...and the committee could come up with some good safety PCMs to address this issue of backing to a missed stop.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Very unprofessional behavior on part of the center manager. should not have been done in a PCM. He could have asked the driver if he could review his accident with the safety committee. Then it would be a learning thing...and the committee could come up with some good safety PCMs to address this issue of backing to a missed stop.
Welcome to Brown Cafe Retiredmgr.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Inexcusable for the center manager to treat the driver what way in front of his peers, and in my old Center most of the drivers would have been shouting right back at him. In the steward's defense, not everyone is good at confrontation especially in front of a crowd. I remember a meeting years ago where I was represented by a non-Driver steward who really did nothing but sit there while the manager and I went at it. Afterward he remarked that he wished he could be that way with Management. I said it's a skill you develop over time and have to know when to turn it off and on. It's best to match the managers attitude, tone, and volume. Removing your fear of termination is the hardest part, but I'd rather go out fighting than like a sheep to slaughter. Perhaps this steward hasn't developed those skills (and it's really up to the individual to do so), or the center manager's outburst caught him off guard. Some stewards I've worked with are never going to be good at such kinds of altercations, but they are very valuable in other ways.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Couple years back, center manager opened up the PCM by telling us to stretch. I stood there with my arms crossed and he started this tirade about how know one listens to him and heads were gonna roll

MADE MY DAY :wink-very:

Ouch

I love it when they tell you to stretch. Fake a hamstring injury and the look on their face is priceless lol lol. Of course you tell them sike after he sweats for a min.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
It was not an accident. An accident is when someone else hits you and you were doing nothing wrong..(my opinion)
Putting it in revers and hitting a car behind you ...well thats just plain stupid, but not an accident

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It wasn't an "accident"....

an accident is when somebody else hits you and you were doing nothing wrong...(my opinion)

putting it in reverse and hitting a car behind you...well that's plain stupid but not an accident.

Granted but please tell me you do not condone the center manager's behavior.