Center Managers

Rob05

Why is it that its seems as though Center Managers are always in a bad mood. Is there a lot of presure on them or do most of them just hate there job. Seriously

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why is it that its seems as though Center Managers are always in a bad mood. Is there a lot of presure on them or do most of them just hate there job. Seriously
Probably both ... and on top of that, they have a bunch of whiny drivers they have to deal with and a union steward that thinks the world revolves around him. :wink2:

DS

Fenderbender
I have had the pleasure of working with about 15 center manager's in my 20 years very few of the good ones were able to retain thier humility.
God bless the ones that could.

dei8

Did you guys ever think how much pressure management is under? In my previous life, I was a retail manager and had to get out. I was tired of all the crap. My life mentally has been leaps and bounds better since becoming a driver. Not even close. Yes management sucks sometimes, but give them a little break. Think about all the whiny drivers. Trust me, we are not the easiest to deal with. I always said, I would rather be a manager at a retail store managing teenagers than most of our drivers. To me, most of the stupidity in this company comes from much higher. I know some sups that have apologized to me after they quit, saying they were just doing their job

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They are in a bad mood because they are given all the responsibility of running the operation without any of the authority or resources they need to succeed.

The center manager of today is little more than a puppet, with IE pulling the strings.

The best center manager's I have ever worked for are the ones who have accepted the fact that they will never be promoted beyond their current level. This gives them the freedom to act with integrity and treat their people well.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
The Center Manager we have always has a look like they are inner demons eating away at his brain. He is always shaking his head for no reason at all, a tick he probably acquired when he accepted that post.

hangin455

These guys are definitely under serious pressure. The ones that have no ambitions of going forward are worried that they'll ever get to the next level and the others are just trying to make retirement as managers.

sosocal

As a center manager let me make this suggestion... Point out to your center manager that he/she always appears to be in a bad mood - a downer however you want to phrase it...Do it without being condescending or motive driven...Just point out that it always appears that way and it sets a bad tone in the center. When I was a new center manager a thoughtful driver did this for me. Since that day, I keep my bad mood to myself - have fewer of them - interact with and accomplish more with the center and genuinely enjoy the workday much better. Still years later when I see that driver (now not in my center) I thank him.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ahh Hoaxter were you ever a driver? with that statement I think not!
Yep for 1 1/2 years Sept 77 - Feb 78. Best job I ever had at UPS.
Lots of whiny drivers back then ... some things never change ... I still whine today except I hide it behind a facade of sarcasm and cynicism. :wink2: