Choosing UPS over College? (On Topic)

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Point blank, I have no idea what I want to major in. Just completing my basics. I do well in my classes. Average “B” student. Even so, school has never intrigued me.

Nothing has ever really caught my attention. I've never felt called to do anything. Nothing really drives me to finish school. The only thing that drives me is my family. They drive me to want to be successful and happy. I want to be able to provide for my family.
If you can't choose a major and follow through don't bother at all.
Pick a major and stick to it, or don't waste your money.
Choose a well paying field that is in high demand.
You don't have to love it, it's a job.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I should’ve mentioned that we live together in my dads house. Happy household with aunts coming to visit all the time. We’re doing okay now. But I’m thinking long term.

Should have mentioned that earlier

Your stressing way to hard over this dads basement is cool.

* Sorry for the lengthy Post *
First post on here so be gentle!
Simply put, is gunning for a career in UPS worth putting off college?
So for some background info,
I am 19 and have a girlfriend and 8 month old son. Currently working part time and going to community college part time. I'm in my second year of college. I have been at UPS for 1 year and 4 months.
Point blank, I have no idea what I want to major in. Just completing my basics. I do well in my classes. Average “B” student. Even so, school has never intrigued me.
Next year I’m supposed to be at a university. Last year in community college. I can’t imagine myself going through the struggle of applying to schools, paying for it, working with my girlfriend to create a schedule that works for both of us and our son, the commute to school and then to work. And working and being a dad all at the same time. Nothing has ever really caught my attention. I've never felt called to do anything. Nothing really drives me to finish school. The only thing that drives me is my family. They drive me to want to be successful and happy. I want to be able to provide for my family.
In my eyes, UPS seems like the place to do that, and not need school. I’m around feeder drivers all the time. I see some drivers going home in their big trucks and lifted Jeeps. They seem like they're doing okay. I wouldn’t mind being a feeder driver. Or package car. Or work in the hub full time. Just want to stay in the union.
Any advice for me? Anyone go through something similar? Ask any questions you’d like. Thanks guys.
I was in about the same situation 22 yrs ago. Not the kid part but the 2 years if college part. I'm a FT pkg driver now, and I'm pretty sure this job is sweet compared to what most people are doing. I have my own route and can be off by 430 every single day if I want. For me this job has had very little interference in being there for my kids

Ken Adams

Brown makes my eyes pop.
I was in about the same situation 22 yrs ago. Not the kid part but the 2 years if college part. I'm a FT pkg driver now, and I'm pretty sure this job is sweet compared to what most people are doing. I have my own route and can be off by 430 every single day if I want. For me this job has had very little interference in being there for my kids
Thanks a lot man. Really appreciate your input. Do you mind sharing how much you make on average?

W

What The Hawk?

For me personally, UPS is exactly the kind of thing I was going to go to school for. It's a trade. But with this trade you don't need anything higher than a HS Diploma. Which is great for me because even after all the college I did do..I never got a degree. UPS is one of the highest paying (but on the easy side) trade jobs you can possibly get. But it's still hard work don't get me wrong. I've only been here for a year but I'm already planning on retiring from UPS in 30+ years. Lol Honestly do what feels right to you. You could even go to college WHILE working at UPS and UPS will pay for it. Don't burn your opportunities.

Thanks a lot man. Really appreciate your input. Do you mind sharing how much you make on average?[/QUOT
I'm topped out, so should b
Around 70 a year but I take alot of days off

wayfair

swollen member
Join the military, get a withdrawal card from the union, do your time, then come back if you don't like the military life and keep all of your seniority when you come back to UPS.... it will square you away

Cementups

Box Monkey
Do you mind sharing how much you make on average?
Top rate drivers right now with no OT on a straight 40 hour work week earn $75k. But most drivers make anywhere from $90-110k/yr.

If you have an opportunity to get into feeders at a fairly quick time frame then by all means. At our building you could start driving tomorrow in feeders but as others said a lot of buildings have a Waiting list.

After 24 years, 21 of which was in package car, I am one of the few who will admit to liking the job and fully appreciate the life it has given me. I have 2 kids and I’ve rarely misssd any events and even coach softball and baseball. If you know how to play the game, it’s all possible. Do I wish I would have stayed in school and for a degree? Yes but merely for a fallback. But as you said, my heart just wasn’t into school so I would have been wasting my time and the educators.

And side note: there is no such thing as “On-topic” here on BC.