Choosing UPS over College? (On Topic)

Ken Adams

Brown makes my eyes pop.
* Sorry for the lengthy Post *
First post on here so be gentle!
Simply put, is gunning for a career in UPS worth putting off college?
So for some background info,
I am 19 and have a girlfriend and 8 month old son. Currently working part time and going to community college part time. I'm in my second year of college. I have been at UPS for 1 year and 4 months.
Point blank, I have no idea what I want to major in. Just completing my basics. I do well in my classes. Average “B” student. Even so, school has never intrigued me.
Next year I’m supposed to be at a university. Last year in community college. I can’t imagine myself going through the struggle of applying to schools, paying for it, working with my girlfriend to create a schedule that works for both of us and our son, the commute to school and then to work. And working and being a dad all at the same time. Nothing has ever really caught my attention. I've never felt called to do anything. Nothing really drives me to finish school. The only thing that drives me is my family. They drive me to want to be successful and happy. I want to be able to provide for my family.
In my eyes, UPS seems like the place to do that, and not need school. I’m around feeder drivers all the time. I see some drivers going home in their big trucks and lifted Jeeps. They seem like they're doing okay. I wouldn’t mind being a feeder driver. Or package car. Or work in the hub full time. Just want to stay in the union.
Any advice for me? Anyone go through something similar? Ask any questions you’d like. Thanks guys.

PT Car Washer

I am 19 and have a girlfriend and 8 month old son. Currently working part time and going to community college part time. I'm in my second year of college. I have been at UPS for 1 year and 4 months.
Point blank, I have no idea what I want to major in. Just completing my basics. I do well in my classes. Average “B” student. Even so, school has never intrigued me.
Next year I’m supposed to be at a university. Last year in community college. I can’t imagine myself going through the struggle of applying to schools, paying for it, working with my girlfriend to create a schedule that works for both of us and our son, the commute to school and then to work. And working and being a dad all at the same time. Nothing has ever really caught my attention. I've never felt called to do anything. Nothing really drives me to finish school. The only thing that drives me is my family. They drive me to want to be successful and happy. I want to be able to provide for my family.
In my eyes, UPS seems like the place to do that, and not need school. I’m around feeder drivers all the time. I see some drivers going home in their big trucks and lifted Jeeps. They seem like they're doing okay. I wouldn’t mind being a feeder driver. Or package car. Or work in the hub full time. Just want to stay in the union.
Any advice for me? Anyone go through something similar? Ask any questions you’d like. Thanks guys.
Stay in school. FT UPS Feeder and package car drivers do make a lot of money after the four year progression but there is a heavy price to pay. 10 hour days most of the year in all types of weather with a toxic management work environment.

Ken Adams

Brown makes my eyes pop.
Stay in school. FT UPS Feeder and package car drivers do make a lot of money after the four year progression but there is a heavy price to pay. 10 hour days most of the year in all types of weather with a toxic management work environment.
Thanks for the reply. Are you a package car driver. Or feeder? Speaking from experience?

First of all you need to be at least 21

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Other than suggesting you change your username, Ken, I'm not going to touch this one with a ten foot pole.

Ken Adams

Brown makes my eyes pop.
We have guys waiting for over 20 years to get into feeders 5-10 years to get onto package.
Relatively new hub here. Got offered package at 9 months. Obviously had to to decline. I know it’s hard to believe, but it happened. Also got offered PT yard shifter at 6 months but had to be 21 at the time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
School isn't for everyone but if I were to go back I would of tried trade school. Lineman welding heavy machinery op ect.