Choosing UPS over College? (On Topic)

reginald95

If you can get a college degree that is not a useless liberal arts degree then go for it. I don't think the physical toll this job takes on your body is worth it long term. Also you never see your family and your social life takes a huge hit as well.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
You are 19, use that to your extreme advantage!!!
Stay part time and take the $6,000 a year UPS will give you to get another 30 or so credits until you turn 21. See where you are in the lists to go full time once you turn 21. After that just another 30 hours and you'll have your four year degree.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I make more than most of my friends with a college degree and I'm not even top scale...but you're gonna bust your ass long hours...I'd suggest getting into a trade...plumbing electrician or carpenters...union for sure.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So you make a lot of money at UPS. You’d go back and do something different? Was it not worth it?
If and when you get halfway through a career here, your body will start to break down. Depends on when you started I guess, but your back, knees, ankles, feet, and shoulders will be the first. You'll wake up in the morning and feel like you lost a bar fight the night before. Stay in school. And wear a condom!

If and when you get halfway through a career here, your body will start to break down. Depends on when you started I guess, but your back, knees, ankles, feet, and shoulders will be the first. You'll wake up in the morning and feel like you lost a bar fight the night before. Stay in school. And wear a condom!
This job is definitely getting harder to do. We are delivering freight not packages

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I have 29 years in, and I'd hate to start over with how bad things have gotten. If you want to just make alot of money without a degree, go to driving. Dont expect to see that kid grow up.
I quit college with a paid football scholarship to go driving and I wish I had stayed in school and learned a trade like welding. This stuff sucks big time.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
In the short-term, stay in school and stay at UPS for the benefits that gives your child the care that he or she deserves.

If you want to make a nice chunk of change but rarely see your family and retire a cripple, take the full-time package driver position if it comes.

If you want to make a bigger chunk of change, rarely see your family, but not retire a cripple, change your major to finance or accounting.

And get married while you're at it. Kids fare much better growing up when they have a steady home life.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are 19, use that to your extreme advantage!!!
Stay part time and take the $6,000 a year UPS will give you to get another 30 or so credits until you turn 21. See where you are in the lists to go full time once you turn 21. After that just another 30 hours and you'll have your four year degree.

Tuition reimbursement is capped at $1,500/semester.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
non-useless college degree (math, science, engineering, medical) > trade school > ups driver > useless college degree (liberal arts, sociology, gender studies, communism 101)

hope that helps