Christmas 2015

moreluck

golden ticket member
Reasons why Santa can't possibly be a man:

* Men can't pack a bag.
* Men would rather be dead than caught wearing red velvet.
* Men would feel their masculinity is threatened ... having to be seen with all those elves.
* Men don't answer their mail.
* Men would refuse to allow their physique to be described even in jest as anything remotely resembling a "bowlful of jelly."
* Men aren't interested in stockings unless somebody's wearing them.
* Having to do the "Ho Ho Ho" thing would seriously inhibit their ability to pick up women.
* Finally, being responsible for Christmas would require a commitment.

I can buy the fact that other mythical characters are men ...

* Father Time shows up once a year unshaven and looking ominous.
Definite guy.

* Cupid flies around carrying weapons.
Guy

* Uncle Sam is a politician who likes to point fingers.
Ditto

moreluck

golden ticket member
Scottish Shortbread
From the kitchen of Leslie Landi

This recipe has been on northpole.com from the beginning… since 1996! We hope you enjoy this classic North Pole recipe. Let us know your opinion by submitting a review!

Recipe Details
Bake Time:
30 minutes
Tags: Good for parties/potlucks, Kid friendly, Quick & easy
Ingredients
2 cups (1 pound) butter
1 cup brown sugar
4 cups flour

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Grease and flour baking pan.

3. Cream butter and sugar. Gradually add flour. Mix well.

4. May be rolled and cut or baked in a pan.

5. Bake for 30 minutes, until slightly golden brown.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Amish Sugar Cookies
From the kitchen of Joseph & Michelle Salerno

This recipe has been on northpole.com from the beginning… since 1996! We hope you enjoy this classic North Pole recipe. Let us know your opinion by submitting a review!

Recipe Details
Bake Time:
10-12 minutes
Tags: Fun to make with kids, Good for parties/potlucks, Kid friendly, Travels well
Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 cup cooking oil
2 eggs
4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
  1. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Combine sugars, butter and oil, beat well.

3. Add eggs and mix well.

4. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar and vanilla.

5. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator overnight.

6. Make into small balls and flatten slightly with a fork.

7. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Do not over bake.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ugly Christmas Sweater

9749de5eee204f63d32e6cd24c36e91b.jpg

oldandcrabby

moreluck

golden ticket member
Still sick of too much turkey at Thanksgiving.....mulling over what to make for Christmas dinner. Something different and maybe not traditional. Any thoughts?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Prime rib's a good suggestion....there will be 4 of us for dinner. True, it can be pricey.
Is "Sunday gravy" out of the question?

oldandcrabby

Still sick of too much turkey at Thanksgiving.....mulling over what to make for Christmas dinner. Something different and maybe not traditional. Any thoughts?

For Christmas when we host friends as family lives so far away. I usually get the biggest ham I can find husband likes to that on the grill he got some oak chips soaked in cranberry and cherry. This friend makes homemade wine usually he just burns his wine soaked oak chips so husband said I'll take them. He takes wine soaked chips puts them with a bunch of water into a little smoker box sets that a the grill and does that ham up for about an hour or two. In the meantime I am in the house making my Aunt's recipe for Southern style hashbrown casserole, sweet potato casserole, southern style corn bread, and fresh fruit cut and sliced. If you want any of my recipes for this more than happy to share. We have termed this Christmas dinner heart attack on a plate with the fruit served fresh to chase the heart attack away. Always been complimented on them good Southern vittles.

moreluck

golden ticket member
".......fruit served fresh to chase the heart attack away" (oldandcrabby)

That's why we order Diet Coke with a burger and fries. The Diet Coke takes away the calories in the burger & fries. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

oldandcrabby

".......fruit served fresh to chase the heart attack away" (oldandcrabby)

That's why we order Diet Coke with a burger and fries. The Diet Coke takes away the calories in the burger & fries. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

yep,yep, yep yeah diabetic here my sugars are very much under control. Inherited that from Dad's side of family, I am labeled type 2 diet controlled. For my B-day I always splurge and go to DQ for banana split. Thanksgiving and Christmas it is apple pie and cookies. All the good protein in the meat balances that other stuff out right?

moreluck

golden ticket member
yep,yep, yep yeah diabetic here my sugars are very much under control. Inherited that from Dad's side of family, I am labeled type 2 diet controlled. For my B-day I always splurge and go to DQ for banana split. Thanksgiving and Christmas it is apple pie and cookies. All the good protein in the meat balances that other stuff out right?
I'm type 2 too. I take medication, but I look at it as permission to eat sugar. I need to alter that thinking. On my birthday, I sent my adult daughter on a mission....to find a chocolate ganache covered fudge cake. She came through!