Christmas 40' Drop-Frame Feeder

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Opening gifts today and dad gets me this, partially as a gag. He picked it up from a vendor at a model train show in the original box.

According the the authenticity sticker on the box, it was given out to shareholders as a limited edition "gift" way back when and was produced by Hermann Marketing.

I'm curious how old it is. Any of the old-timers remember these? I'm guessing mid 80s but I wasn't sure.

dxsqYF.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
Hermann used to supply a lot of the awards. I don't have the feeder but I got a model package car (probably from them) around 1990 or so for some random award. Late 1980's to early 1990's anyway.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had to dig through a box I had stored away.
IMG_2964.JPG

I think early to mid 80's is about right. Our district had about 4 of these "S" type trailers. They were 40' with hydraulic landing gear.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My first job at UPS was loading these trailers in 1975. I thought they were called "Z or W Frames" or something like that. They had a set of rollers running down the middle with these wooden flaps that would fold down from the side to form a second floor about five feet from the very bottom. It hurt like hell if one of those flaps fell and hit you in the head if you were loading the very bottom of the trailer.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
Opening gifts today and dad gets me this, partially as a gag. He picked it up from a vendor at a model train show in the original box.

According the the authenticity sticker on the box, it was given out to shareholders as a limited edition "gift" way back when and was produced by Hermann Marketing.

I'm curious how old it is. Any of the old-timers remember these? I'm guessing mid 80s but I wasn't sure.

dxsqYF.jpg

I’ve got one. My dad got it for me. Mid 90’s is when I got mine. (Referring to the model)

oldngray

nowhere special
My first job at UPS was loading these trailers in 1975. I thought they were called "Z Frames" or something like that. They had a set of rollers running down the middle with these wooden flaps that would fold down from the side to form a second floor about four feet from the very bottom. It hurt like hell if one of those flaps fell and hit you in the head if you were loading the very bottom of the trailer.
That was mostly all I saw in the late 70's.

tarbar66

The 40’ drop frame trailers were definitely an S Box. The only other trailers I hauled were 26’ H pups, Martrac reefers, 40’ Z rail trailers with hand crank landing gear, containers on chassis, Fruehauf 40’ flat floors and Z frame trailers that had 2 sets of rollers but I can’t remember the configuration. The old Allegheny District had a few special trailers for the Milford Center that had to fit under a extremely low railroad trestle. This all happened before doubles were permitted in Pennsylvania.

Shift 2

My first job at UPS was loading these trailers in 1975. I thought they were called "Z or W Frames" or something like that. They had a set of rollers running down the middle with these wooden flaps that would fold down from the side to form a second floor about five feet from the very bottom. It hurt like hell if one of those flaps fell and hit you in the head if you were loading the very bottom of the trailer.
H frames

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

dxsqYF.jpg
I bid $18.99.