Churches Judging Joel Osteen "On Topic Only"

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I am speaking of Jesus friend. He preaches the words of Jesus. He tries to spread the good word. That is hard to do in today’s environment

No, he preaches a false gospel and defies the teachings of Jesus.

"The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, 'What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?' And he said, 'I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?' So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God."(Luke 12:16–21)

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. . . . No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." (Matt. 6:19–24)

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
short version: Test his faith, tell him and his wife that it's only 40k/ each year till death, no "gifts" from the church/parishioners/book deals. Require that only basic needs of the church are recognized (and a multilevel stadium is NOT needed), fly commercially, and everything else goes back into community projects. Oh, and his savings and bonds and other MM$s he may have squirreled away, unavailable as the church clawed it back.

You'll see him giving up the Religion sctick and going into sales quite quickly. and he'll have the nerve to call it "A calling from God to change my ways".

I'm all for positive messages and encouragement.. and if that's your thing, good for you... but I have a massive problem with the whole prosperity gospel thing as I view it goes directly against the word...

So, once again, live like Christ and help the poor and disadvantaged and won't worry about your private jets, MM$ houses, and huge book deals.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post!

upschuck

I have listened to him a couple times, and couldn't make it through the whole sermon, didn't like his style. Neither time did he say anything that I would call Prosperity Christianity(PC).

That being said, PC is inherently wrong, but so is a lot of things that we do everyday, and is where Grace comes in.

rickyb

I attend an Evangelical Christian church and I am troubled by some of the comments that I hear about Joel Osteen.

I hear really bad un-Christian like statements about him that just has not been my experience. I really like him and view his ministry as a solid Christian ministry.

Some of the negative comments even come from the Pastor of the church.

Any experiences, thoughts or opinions you'd like to share for discussion?
heretic.

watch star wars or the matrix, or that recent mel gibson war movie about what faith and religion is really about.

dan berrigan, chris hedges, and cornel west, and MLK are trained in it and teach it good too

upschuck

heretic.

watch star wars or the matrix, or that recent mel gibson war movie about what faith and religion is really about.

dan berrigan, chris hedges, and cornel west, and MLK are trained in it and teach it good too
I guess I missed the whole meaning of those movies.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I have listened to him a couple times, and couldn't make it through the whole sermon, didn't like his style. Neither time did he say anything that I would call Prosperity Christianity(PC).

That being said, PC is inherently wrong, but so is a lot of things that we do everyday, and is where Grace comes in.

Being prosperous is not wrong, preaching that God's plan is for us to be wealthy and healthy is wrong. Prosperity gospel also teaches that God bestows more wealth upon those with more faith, suggesting that those without wealth are not as faithful and that wealth is a sign of God's favor and the wealthy deserve leadership positions within the church. All of this is in direct opposition to the teachings of Jesus.

Last edited:

upschuck

Being prosperous is not wrong, preaching that God's plan is for us to be wealthy and healthy is wrong. It also teaches that God bestows more wealth upon those with more faith, suggesting that those without wealth are not as faithful and that wealth is a sign of God's favor and the wealthy deserve leadership positions within the church. All of this is in direct opposition to the teachings of Jesus.
Which is why I said it was wrong. Seems like a place rich folk go to make them feel better about the "shady" things they do to make that money. (Not that every rich person got that way through shady dealings with people)

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Being prosperous is not wrong, preaching that God's plan is for us to be wealthy and healthy is wrong. It also teaches that God bestows more wealth upon those with more faith, suggesting that those without wealth are not as faithful and that wealth is a sign of God's favor and the wealthy deserve leadership positions within the church. All of this is in direct opposition to the teachings of Jesus.

You gotta admit, Joel found his niche market.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
F6A3042F-C32F-4B56-A264-8784F44FE36D.gif

F

Frankie's Friend

No, he preaches a false gospel and defies the teachings of Jesus.

"The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, 'What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?' And he said, 'I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?' So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God."(Luke 12:16–21)

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. . . . No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." (Matt. 6:19–24)
Why was Solomon so blessed (rich)?
How about Job? He was extremely wealthy .

You can have riches as long as riches dont have you.

"To whom much has been given much will be expected".
Think about that one.