City or rural route?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The best is when you get home and you feel like you can put your uniform back in the closet. We have a giant outlet center in the town I deliver in and between them and the giant shopping center where the interstate and highway meet we have 4 12 cubes in the city. Those guys get hammered everyday. I swear between their pickups and deliveries one of their days is almost the equivalent to my week. But I do deliver a lot more stops and drive a heck of a lot more miles. You just need to pick your poison I guess.

Ms.PacMan

I just blew it in a huge way.
Darn - always sign the bid!

The winter weather on rural routes, even for only 10 days, completely overshadows the 300 nice days for me. Plus, I always hated the gravel dust. I would prefer a downtown route. Less driving and I always enjoyed walking around. Pulling a loaded 4 wheeler is not for everyone so hopefully I will get one of those routes soon.

We had a retirement and the route was put up for bid. 4 more senior than me, signed, so I thought, "Why bother even getting my hopes up." and did not sign.

Turns out, 2 of them crossed their names off, by phone at 14:30 on the last day it was up, the most senior guy is saying, "I don't know that I really like it." and has told others that if he does not pick it up soon, he is going back to his old route. The guy right above me, decided he would rather stay with his city route than to an all rural route.

I am trying to talk when of the senior guys into keeping it, otherwise it will go to the person right under me that did sign.

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

The route delivers to the area where my wife grew up and blah, blah, blah. I am bummed.

To answer the OP, I am not a fan of all in-town, but have done them and the advantage is eating at a different place every day. My fave is a mix of small town and rural routes. I am the most senior swing guy and I generally choose rural routes that drive 20-30 miles before starting.

Always sign the bid you must or regret you will.
images

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

We had a retirement and the route was put up for bid. 4 more senior than me, signed, so I thought, "Why bother even getting my hopes up." and did not sign.

Turns out, 2 of them crossed their names off, by phone at 14:30 on the last day it was up, the most senior guy is saying, "I don't know that I really like it." and has told others that if he does not pick it up soon, he is going back to his old route. The guy right above me, decided he would rather stay with his city route than to an all rural route.

I am trying to talk when of the senior guys into keeping it, otherwise it will go to the person right under me that did sign.

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

The route delivers to the area where my wife grew up and blah, blah, blah. I am bummed.

To answer the OP, I am not a fan of all in-town, but have done them and the advantage is eating at a different place every day. My fave is a mix of small town and rural routes. I am the most senior swing guy and I generally choose rural routes that drive 20-30 miles before starting.

Ok I'm curious as to how this works. Could you file for a rebid? How does someone bid on a route and then just decide they don't want it? Why does this go to the next person since it can easily be assumed someone right under that guy didn't sign because thy saw they wouldn't get it.

S

serenity now

Ok I'm curious as to how this works. Could you file for a rebid? How does someone bid on a route and then just decide they don't want it? Why does this go to the next person since it can easily be assumed someone right under that guy didn't sign because thy saw they wouldn't get it.

we used to have such a problem with 20 people signing a bid and then 15 passing on it later, that they changed the rules to eliminate all the uncertainty : the most senior name on the bid when the bid sheet comes down wins the bid, and must accept the position *

barnyard

KTM rider

I am going to look into filing for a rebid.

I talked to a driver supe, before the bid was hung and he said, "Several very senior drivers have looked at the route, I doubt it will even get to you."

I do not have a problem with people trying a route and saying, "no." The thing that is irritating me is the 2 that crossed their names off as the bid was coming down. I think the bid should have stayed up another 24 hours.

It would be a moot point if I had signed the thing.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I am having a scarlet S made for my browns so that I am more easily identified.

CaptainObvious

When I was a cover (swing) driver the rural routes were always my favorite. I passed up a lot of bid opportunities that were in town because I knew I could cover the R/R drivers vacations, sick days, optionals, r/o, exct....for most of the year and then have my own during peak. Did that for almost ten years before bidding onto my first run.

My bid now is a mix of both. Travel 20 miles to get out on area. Most of my business stops are in a rural area then I come back into town and deliver some resi suburbs and a Golf course community......around 80 miles a day....120-130 stops.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I asked my center manager if I could bid two routes---a rural one from April-October and a city run from November-March. I loved my country run---the people were very friendly and the workload was much lighter (except when the summer camps were open)---but it was no picnic during the winter.

I am bidding off of my route next month. Our 9:30 start makes it very difficult to get my air off on a daily basis plus Walmart is being a pain in the ass so I am going back to my first bid route. It is not as hectic as a city run but busier than a rural one.

Jones, I hope you don't regret going to feeders.

There is a few exceptions, but you won't find many who regret feeders.

Dracula

You should never make this mistake. Many, many drivers get routes by "why not" bidding. I've gotten a few nice routes this way. Older drivers frequently put their names on routes they most likely won't take, scratching their names on the last day. Never let this you from putting your name on a bid.

rod

Retired 22 years
For the most part I ran the same route for 25 of my 30 years. My day started out with 35 mile drive to my delivery area. Two thirds of the route involved delivering in one small town where I knew everyone, where everyone worked, their kids names and their pets names. The other third was rural route around a bunch of lakes. In all I averaged about 100 stops/ 15 pickups and a 100 to 125 miles. I've been told that lots of crap has been added to the route since I retired.

CaptainObvious

I've been told that lots of crap has been added to the route since I retired.

That's what has happened to most of the routes here as well. The good "rural" routes have either expanded do to urbanization and is done by the same number of drivers as before. Or as in your case, once the driver retires they add more on to it.

packageguy

Which one do you prefer and why? I much prefer the rural routes. Give me windshield time and less stress on body. Not only that just get me out of town away from all the people. Let me enjoy nature. I know plenty of drivers in my center though that want nothing to do with roads that will neve be plowed or half mile driveways.

I prefer city, keeps me moving.

Dracula

It just depends what you like. I had every kind of route possible while I was in PC. Combo suburban bus/resi routes. Country routes, and my last route was right in the center of a busy metropolitan area.

Combo--Pros: A little bit of everything, making the day varied and not too boring, See quite a few people. Cons: these are, by far, the worst routes during peak. Everything explodes, making load quality the first thing to hit the crapper.

Rural--Pros: driving routes, which makes for an easier day. Almost w/o exception, people are much, much nicer than in the city and suburbs. They just don't seem to get as worked up about things like city folk do. Still some creepos, but very rare. Cons: Call it mini-feeders. Lots of drivers get fat on rural routes if they're not careful. All you tend to do is drive. I drove over 220 miles on my rural route a day. You can get complacent on these driving routes if you're not careful. You can start to take things for granted since you don't see a lot of traffic. Finally, if your RR is got a lot of gravel or dirt, it is MISERY. I most likely would have retired on my RR, were it not for the gravel. I wore a face mask and goggle sunglasses to try and stop the dust from my insides, but it didn't help much. I would drive for a while on a gravel road, then stop, open my bulk head door, and the inside of my truck was CLOUDY. Closing the doors while you drive does nothing. You will go home everyday with dirt and dust in every crack of you and your belongings.

Metro--Pros: Ideal route for a single person. Especially for a man. There is more pretty women per square inch in a high rise route than anything else combined. Great, great scenery. The days fly by on metr0 routes. These routes used to be the routes you could get off the earliest on, but with the dumbasses doing the dispatches now, there is no telling what kind of add/cuts you might get day-to-day. While these routes always look the worst in the AM, they normally empty out the fastest too. Mine looked like a mental breakdown at 9:00AM, but turned into easy street by 1PM. Of course, many days I would fill it right back up. Metro routes don't typically change a whole lot during peak. I mean, offices get a lot more snackies and such, but not nearly like a resi route would. Cons: If you don't like a packed truck in the AM, a lot of air packages and city traffic, you may want to leave it be. These tend to be more physical routes. If you want to lose some weight, this is your route. The day FLIES by on metro routes. Many days, it seems like you're always behind. There are a lot of wackos in the city, and you have to have some thick skin. You will ALWAYS have to go get your misloads off other drivers, since they usually just a few streets away.

Anyway, this is just my experience in package car. All of these routes have there pluses and minuses. It just kind of depends what your priorities are.

But, ask any feeder driver, and he/she will tell you that the worst run in feeders is better than the best route in PC. Something to remember when that list comes up in the spring and fall.

iowa boy

Any route that gets me out of town. I have always loved driving and animals and working in town you dont get to drive very far and all the animals are these little ankle biter dogs that think they are ten feet tall and bulletproof. But out in the country, you get seat time and meet the coolest animals, including dogs.

I have spent the last two weeks covering a satellite route and a rural/small town route and have only met 3 dogs that didn't like me that well. That and one person who didn't appreciate my efforts to make her smile.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You should never make this mistake. Many, many drivers get routes by "why not" bidding. I've gotten a few nice routes this way. Older drivers frequently put their names on routes they most likely won't take, scratching their names on the last day. Never let this you from putting your name on a bid.

This is how I got my route. I was second and the top guy ran it two days and said no thanks. Sucks I got bumped off it a year later.

AKCoverMan

But, ask any feeder driver, and he/she will tell you that the worst run in feeders is better than the best route in PC. Something to remember when that list comes up in the spring and fall.

We have a grand total of three feeder runs five days a week, here. One gets into our building about 90 mins before our PCM. One day the run came in late and I saw the driver in the locker room. He has had the run for about a year now was a PC driver in our center. Started to ask him "So do you miss your old route yet?" sarcastically, knowing the answer. I didn't even make it pass the word "miss" before he smiled and said "No!". :happy-very:

U

uber

City. Give me a hand-truck and bulk stops any day. Screw the long driveways and searching for obscure addresses. Time goes by quicker as well.