City or rural route?

Our rural drivers say the same thing but it's more than that and you are not giving yourself enough credit. You all have nerves of steel in the winter - feeders, too!
Yeah I agree but after a while its second nature so it's not nerves its balls and balls aren't smart there stupid and this is COUNTRY. On to the next day it's a lottery.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They actually had to take stuff off when I took over. The old skipped lunch everyday. I didn't which meant I pulled 30-45 minutes for pick ups everyday. You would think all it would take is a few weeks. It was 6-8 months before they figured it out.

6 to 8 months for them to figure something obvious out? That's pretty quick by UPS standards.

I love country. If you are an idiot you like city. If you are a genious you deliver country. Your joints thank you and you stress level appreciates it. VERY MUCH

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have had four different routes in my 28 years as a full time driver. The best thing about my first route was that it was an industrial park that I delivered out of a straight truck and I got employee discounts at a lot of my shipping accounts. The bad part was I got two hernias delivering and picking up a thousand boxes a day. I bid off of that one and went mostly residential. My favorite route was the third one, it was rural. It had 60-65 stops in a P-500 with 200 miles on it. One of the shelves was completely empty, that blew my mind. The driver before me bid off of it because he hated the supervisor, I lost it when he rolled me after one year when that supervisor retired. My current route I got in '96, its about 95% subdivisions. Three pickups, average about 150-150 mostly DR stops, and drive about 100 miles.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
At the end of the day, I'd pick country.

In my limited time driving, my route was almost a perfect mix of everything. I drove about 165 miles, about 100 stops, and about 15 pickups. PC went out full, and I brought it back to the building full. I literally had just about every delivery type besides high-rises. I had a high-traffic town portion....3 residential neighborhoods, an entire industrial park to both deliver bulk and pick-up, plenty of other commercial, trailer parks, 2 apartment complexes and then about 35 stops in the country.

It all comes down to preference I guess. I can see how country would be miserable during winter months....and I HATED the dirt roads with about 15 mailboxes at the entrance....and not a single number on any house when you drove down it. But, I loved being able to drive around the country...the scenery, being able to cool down when it was 100 degrees, and getting a break after all of my bulk I delivered in the industrial park. Customers were awesome. No traffic at all. I hate traffic. Loathe traffic.

The city/town portions of my route were fine in regards to staying busy and getting time to go by faster. I can also appreciate why it's better on main roads during the crappy weather events.

I'd take a full country route any day of the week, though.....no questions.

Alleycar

I have been on the same in-town route for my entire career. We have all kinds of different runs in my center, but the thought of driving in the country here in the winter terrifies me. I do 120-140stops, 300pcs delivery and 25stops, 100pcs pick-ups. I average about 28 miles per day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

After re-reading my post I can't seem to find where I said I cared. I just stated what I heard.

Heard from who? Why are you even interacting with current drivers? You are retired----the only time you should be thinking about this company is on the 1st of the month when your pension check is direct deposited.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Kinda meant on BC. Which is why I said no reply needed. (Hidden message is that you can't help but impart your wisdom on most threads and I am sure that will continue after you retire).

The key word here is "relevance". Most of us are current employees who deal with these issues on a daily basis. Retirees for the most part do not keep up on these daily isses and therefore what they offer is based on their experiences which may or may not be relevant to the issues current employees are dealing with. Let's take Telematics for example----our members who have been retired for 5 years or more did not have to deal with Telematics and therefore have no relevance when discussing this topic.

There is no denying that we can all learn from those who preceeded us but there does come a time when we all need to move on to the next phase of our lives.

S

serenity now

I have been on the same in-town route for my entire career. We have all kinds of different runs in my center, but the thought of driving in the country here in the winter terrifies me. I do 120-140stops, 300pcs delivery and 25stops, 100pcs pick-ups. I average about 28 miles per day.

28 miles just amazes me:surprised:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Heard from who? Why are you even interacting with current drivers? You are retired----the only time you should be thinking about this company is on the 1st of the month when your pension check is direct deposited.
I like reading what Rod has to say and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Out of all the posters on this board you seem to be the only one who has a problem with him, maybe that should tell you what the problem really is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I like reading what Rod has to say and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Out of all the posters on this board you seem to be the only one who has a problem with him, maybe you should tell us what the problem really is.

Fair enough---he adds absolutely nothing to the conversation, other than stories of a UPS that no longer exists or irrelevant youtube videos.

barnyard

KTM rider
Fair enough---he adds absolutely nothing to the conversation, other than stories of a UPS that no longer exists or irrelevant youtube videos.

Actually, I find that he is still very relevant. I live in the same area as he does and the centers are still run about the same as when he was active. You still have not figured out that different parts of the country do things different

I also see Rod as smart enough to know and understand how new technologies are affecting the job.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I like reading Rod's posts! At least he's not up to 13.61 posts per day like somone else we know !!

f63b4740-b8fd-44d1-b51b-539d14e0176d.jpg
f63b4740-b8fd-44d1-b51b-539d14e0176d.jpg

beentheredonethat

I did city when I drove. Mostly office buildings. As a young driver, I enjoyed it for the view (ie secretary's). I still fondly remember the secretary from Sequent Computer. However, I think that at my current age, I would also rather have a country route.