City or rural route?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Fair enough---he adds absolutely nothing to the conversation, other than stories of a UPS that no longer exists or irrelevant youtube videos.

It's called perspective. So what if he wasn't here for telematics? Many here would say YOU add next to nothing to the conversation, except condemnation. You don't work overtime, you run scratch everyday and you favor a two-tiered wage system. So, how much do you add to the majority of drivers here?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's called perspective. So what if he wasn't here for telematics? Many here would say YOU add next to nothing to the conversation, except condemnation. You don't work overtime, you run scratch everyday and you favor a two-tiered wage system. So, how much do you add to the majority of drivers here?

Perspective based upon relevance, not history.

S

serenity now

Relevance in the BOG does not really compare to relevance anywhere else.

the BOG :rofl:

this is my mental image of the BOG
neighborhood.jpg
neighborhood.jpg

Alleycar

Yeah I get watched more than anyone else in the center I would guess. It takes me about 5-6min from pulling out of the building to delivering my first stop in the morning. I am not very exciting and they seem to get bored quickly when I load up a cart and head into a building for 10min.

brostalss

I've done both as utility and it all depends on the route as a whole. We have one route in our center that is secretly a juice rural route. Used to do 145 by 4:30. I'd have 30 to 35 left at noon.

I think what makes or breaks a route is the people on it. (especially the "Honeys") Good people who appreciate you showing up everyday make any route good or bad. There is always that one customer you dread on your route but the rest make up for it.

My route used to be all commercial and some retail with heavy pick ups. but utility drivers would die on it when I'm on vacation so they had to dumb it down for them. Now I'm half resi and commercial/retail and picks ups.

I like my route but I think towards the years coming up to retirement I'll take a nice rural route and put it on cruise control.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I did a pig iron industrial route for 23 years, and my knees and back are shot because of it.

Now I'm in the country and its a lot better in terms of wear and tear on my body, but it has its downsides also.

All the industrial routes in my center are down on the Willamette Valley floor where its flat and paved and it seldom snows. My route does winding mountain roads with no guardrails that climb 1200 vertical feet in less than 3 miles. When its raining down in the valley its snowing up in my world and I get to experience the joy of crawling under a package car and installing/removing chains by the side of the road in the dark. The fog up there is frequently so bad that I cant go more than about 5 MPH for fear of driving right off of a cliff. And in the summer, the 50+ miles of gravel roads that I drive on dry out and create choking clouds of fine, talcum powder-like dust that coat every surface inside the car and combine with my sweat to create a slimy, mud like substance on my exposed skin. I still like my rural route, but if you have never run one they arent all that they are cracked up to be.

S

serenity now

rural routes can be a challenge

i just don't think there is anything slicker than red clay when it's wet
i've had the back end of a 500 come around to where i could almost read the tag number

(picture the way a boxer dog curls their midsection when they are happy; like that)

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Rural alot better easily. Alot of time to kick back and grab your thoughts and just enjoy the scenery. And not kill your body in the process

my route is a mix of both * that being said, my center is classified as super rural; i drive 30 miles to get to my area * or 60 miles of travel each day with no deliveries during that time * i guessing some on here don't travel 60 miles all day

In my center a long run is 30 miles total. The route I started on would be less than 10 on a light day.

U

uber

I did a pig iron industrial route for 23 years, and my knees and back are shot because of it.

Now I'm in the country and its a lot better in terms of wear and tear on my body, but it has its downsides also.

All the industrial routes in my center are down on the Willamette Valley floor where its flat and paved and it seldom snows. My route does winding mountain roads with no guardrails that climb 1200 vertical feet in less than 3 miles. When its raining down in the valley its snowing up in my world and I get to experience the joy of crawling under a package car and installing/removing chains by the side of the road in the dark. The fog up there is frequently so bad that I cant go more than about 5 MPH for fear of driving right off of a cliff. And in the summer, the 50+ miles of gravel roads that I drive on dry out and create choking clouds of fine, talcum powder-like dust that coat every surface inside the car and combine with my sweat to create a slimy, mud like substance on my exposed skin. I still like my rural route, but if you have never run one they arent all that they are cracked up to be.

I cover a couple of those 55 stop 450+ pieces routes. I can see how they'd take there toll.

My route is 40 miles from the bldg.(1030 commit) and a town route. So it's lighter then most. 110 stops 105 miles. I have covered both. Never did feeders but I know a 30 year driver that went feeders and came back so he has driven them all and says rural routes is the best bid. I pick rural and hope to get one soon.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream

Do you deliver ZigZag or Welches or something?