Class-action grievance against Integrad.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just got word from our local that the union is filing a class-action grievance against the company for the manner in which it is conducting Integrad training at the new Portland facility.

Applicants have been given "pre-course" training that must be completed off the clock prior to going to Integrad, as well as being told that they are required to stay at the hotel. The company has unilaterally changed the wages, hours and working conditions of seniority employees in regards to package car training by creating a "boot camp" for prospective drivers and has refused to negotiate these changes with the union as is required by the contract.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

O

OLDMAN3

I thought it was quite strange when a member here on Brown Cafe said they required him to stay at the hotel even though he could easily drive. Total indoctrination is the likely motivation.

soberups

The sad part about Integrad is that none of the crap they are being taught there will be of any help to them under actual operational conditions. Shiny boots and the ability to recite acronyms are no substitute for real-world experience and area knowledge.

ww1lp

Anthony in Connecticut
I wish the union could do something about the DOK brainwashing and how drivers are constantly harassed about reciting it!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The sad part about Integrad is that none of the crap they are being taught there will be of any help to them under actual operational conditions. Shiny boots and the ability to recite acronyms are no substitute for real-world experience and area knowledge.
My driver sup went to intergrad. 2 years later I'm still teaching him new things all the time.

Everytime I say "didn't they teach you that at intergrad?" He always laughs and says "yeah right".

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Just got word from our local that the union is filing a class-action grievance against the company for the manner in which it is conducting Integrad training at the new Portland facility.

Applicants have been given "pre-course" training that must be completed off the clock prior to going to Integrad, as well as being told that they are required to stay at the hotel. The company has unilaterally changed the wages, hours and working conditions of seniority employees in regards to package car training by creating a "boot camp" for prospective drivers and has refused to negotiate these changes with the union as is required by the contract.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
There is no such thing per se, but they could file an unfair labor practice charge with the NLRB.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Anyone who says integrad is a "total waste of time", has zero idea what they are talking about and probably never went through integrad. Sorry overpaidunion thug and whoever else, you are wrong.

HOWEVER, it is an indoctrination center, that remains. It's basically conditioning to become a hamster in the wheel.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I went, it wasn't horrible and it was hardly an "indoctrination". They tought roughly 30 drivers (some flunked out or quit) the BASICS of driving and the Diad in one week. It was pretty quick and rather fun, tbh

oldngray

nowhere special
Integrad teaches a little but it would be faster and cheaper to learn those basics in your home center. Plus get more real world experience instead of only learning how things are supposed to work in Clarksville.

I heard there was a pdx seasonal that t/a'd going to lunch during training class. Not sure where on the island, but he was hurt. Possibly distracted reciting ten point or was he going mirror to mirror?

Overpaid Union Thug

Anyone who says integrad is a "total waste of time", has zero idea what they are talking about and probably never went through integrad. Sorry overpaidunion thug and whoever else, you are wrong.

HOWEVER, it is an indoctrination center, that remains. It's basically conditioning to become a hamster in the wheel.

Anyone who's says "anyone that says integral is a total waste of time has zero idea what they are talking about" is clearly a management fan boy or blind to the fact that drivers that went to Integrad are not better equipped to start their jobs when they return to their centers than the drivers that didn't attend Integrad. They aren't. In fact....all of the drivers that intended Integrad in my center have had at least one minor accident in their first 6 months of driving and have had the same problems that each and every new driver in the history of UPS has had. When you consider that and the fact that UPS spent allot of money (much more than would have had the driver stayed home and trained at his ow center) to send those people to Integrad then it's clear that Integrad, much like ORION, is an epic waste of money. The training a driver needs can and SHOULD be done completely at their home center by an On Car sup and/or an actual driver and at a tiny fraction of the price. UPS will lie and say otherwise but the return in investment for Integrad is embarrassingly low. It has ended up being nothing more than a public relations scheme and lie to impress the stock holders. Nothing more...nothing less.

oldngray

nowhere special
Anyone who's says "anyone that says integral is a total waste of time has zero idea what they are talking about" is clearly a management fan boy or blind to the fact that drivers that went to Integrad are not better equipped to start their jobs when they return to their centers than the drivers that didn't attend Integrad. They aren't. In fact....all of the drivers that intended Integrad in my center have had at least one minor accident in their first 6 months of driving and have had the same problems that each and every new driver in the history of UPS has had. When you consider that and the fact that UPS spent allot of money (much more than would have had the driver stayed home and trained at his ow center) to send those people to Integrad then it's clear that Integrad, much like ORION, is an epic waste of money. The training a driver needs can and SHOULD be done completely at their home center by an On Car sup and/or an actual driver and at a tiny fraction of the price. UPS will lie and say otherwise but the return in investment for Integrad is embarrassingly low. It has ended up being nothing more than a public relations scheme and lie to impress the stock holders. Nothing more...nothing less.

The only problem with that is too many on car sups don't know how to deliver much less teach trainees. Few of the newer ones have much if any on road experience. They may have those safety acronyms down pat but too many know little else.

soberups

I wish the union could do something about the DOK brainwashing and how drivers are constantly harassed about reciting it!
The union makes sure we get paid for the time spent talking about it, and that we cant get fired for failing to memorize it.

soberups

For a fraction of the cost of all the INTEGRAD training, they could simply enhance the training experience at the new hires home center by excluding his/her stops from the center's daily SPORH average. This would allow the center manager and on-car to break the new hire in gradually and be more methodical in terms of teaching proper methods rather than having to scream at them to run faster from day one. Instead of forcing the center manager to worry about "how is this new guy making me look on todays report?" the question should be "how well am I doing at training this person for a safe, productive, long-term career as a UPS driver?"

Overpaid Union Thug

The only problem with that is too many on car sups don't know how to deliver much less teach trainees. Few of the newer ones have much if any on road experience. They may have those safety acronyms down pat but too many know little else.

I've never had an On Car sup that couldn't train a new driver at least the basic fundamentals of delivering. I've had three already that had never been a driver before but since they had learned the basics they all essentially ended up being good trainers with zero area knowledge. Well guess what..?....?.....at best that is exactly what Integrad provides for a trainee. So, why not save the money and let the trainees stay at home and learn from on On Car? Especially when you consider the fact that most On Cars (unless they are brand spanking new) have been on a training route enough to train a new driver.

Integrad is a waste of money. Plain and simple. Now on to ORION......