Clerk Firing

• Thread starter IHATEUPSBUTLOVETHEBENFITS
  • Start date
I

IHATEUPSBUTLOVETHEBENFITS

One of our preload clerks was just fired for "stealing time" after his mother called him on his cellphone and asked him to pick up her personal medicine. This is stupid, the converstation lasted less than 30 seconds, but people beware, the management is looking to fire to cut costs and salary, so be careful, and leave your cell phones in your personal cars.

Fullhouse

We also just had a clerk fire this morning. He was talking on his cell phone also. This is the kicker- a fellow union hourly employee told on him!:dissapointed:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

How will I be able to contact my bookie ?

While drooling in your SUV on lunch.

It seems like management will fire someone they don't like. BUT they can't prove you were stealing time if it's an emergency. If a manager told me I'm fired for talking to my g/friend, I'm going to say "I want a steward here, and I'm leaving to goto the hospital for so and so reason".

That should squash the situation.

drewed

Shankman
While drooling in your SUV on lunch.

It seems like management will fire someone they don't like. BUT they can't prove you were stealing time if it's an emergency. If a manager told me I'm fired for talking to my g/friend, I'm going to say "I want a steward here, and I'm leaving to goto the hospital for so and so reason".

That should squash the situation.

you better be prepared to prove it, otherwise its job abandonment

atatbl

No. The only way to reasonably prove it would be to show the "gf's" (in this case) medical documents.

As a sup, you should know how ridiculous, asinine, and horrified the response of HR would be if they found out you asked a subordinate for that legally protected, proprietary, private, and sue-a-company-for-millions-for-asking-for-it information.

atatbl

Also, just realized this. No one at management level that was competent would fire him for job abandonment at that point. You see, the sup would inevitably say "ok go" when this situation arose (assuming he or she is human). It can no longer (whether it's a lie or not) be job abandonment because the sup would be allowing it.

What he would be fired for would be dishonesty proved after the fact. A sup telling you that you can leave (for whatever reason) cannot, inherently, be job abandonment.

Now, as I said, there would be no way to prove this in a first time instance. Unless, we lived in a society that didn't have laws to prevent the EXACT thing you are saying would happen. Fortunately for all of us, we do not.

drewed

Shankman
1.) its not that hard to get a drs note just saying that there was in fact an emergency, it doesnt require that any name or medical conditions be mentioned.

the thought i had was double fold with what you said, if he said there was an emergency and there really wasnt. it could be considered both job abandonment (because apparently they had something better to do in their mind) and its an integrity issue as well.
UPS has eyes everywhere, its not worth trying to lie about it. my point is make it easy to prove your story.

atatbl

1.) its not that hard to get a drs note just saying that there was in fact an emergency, it doesnt require that any name or medical conditions be mentioned.

the thought i had was double fold with what you said, if he said there was an emergency and there really wasnt. it could be considered both job abandonment (because apparently they had something better to do in their mind) and its an integrity issue as well.
UPS has eyes everywhere, its not worth trying to lie about it. my point is make it easy to prove your story.

Oh... lol.... if that was your point you should have just said so. I agree and disagree. The reason that the original excuse will work 100% of the time, on the first time, is that everyone working for a big employer in the U.S. knows that it's treading on disaster for the company to get involved at all with you medical matters (the one's that don't affect your job anyways). Let alone, someone that does not work for them, but that you have a relationship with.

So...... The "keep it simple, stupid" plan will work great if you do it. But if you never want to have to prove anything, Idolesswork's plan is safe at least one time.

atatbl

isn't job abandonment when you stop showing up for work for a certain amount of time?

What Drew said is one example. Or, another example would be a center that grants personal holidays to drivers with one week of notice. Meaning, if you want Thursday the 14th off, you must write it on the center manager's calendar by no latter than the 7th. Now, when the driver writes it on the calendar on the 13th at approximately 6:30 pm (and then doesn't show up on the 14th) there is a problem for him/her. When the driver shows up for work that Friday he will be fired for job abandonment. The center manager doesn't want to go the integrity route (even thought the driver did lie on Friday morning, and that was proved beyond any doubt), because it would take even more work than the cut-and-dry case of job abandonment staring the center manager in the face.

drewed

Shankman
Oh... lol.... if that was your point you should have just said so. I agree and disagree. The reason that the original excuse will work 100% of the time, on the first time, is that everyone working for a big employer in the U.S. knows that it's treading on disaster for the company to get involved at all with you medical matters (the one's that don't affect your job anyways). Let alone, someone that does not work for them, but that you have a relationship with.

So...... The "keep it simple, stupid" plan will work great if you do it. But if you never want to have to prove anything, Idolesswork's plan is safe at least one time.

yea its the abusers of the system that get caught, like in school you grandma can only die so many times before you get a call home to mom.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

yea its the abusers of the system that get caught, like in school you grandma can only die so many times before you get a call home to mom.

If it was a one time thing, and the person clearly has integrity - but was fired for chatting for a minute or two for "stealing time", there would be no reason for that person to say "Ok, you're right."
That's a bit extreme of a solution.
Such an extreme, irrational solution would extract that type of reaction from me anyway. "well, I have an emergency, so I'm leaving to go tend to it"

I can imagine a manager firing a problem employee that was chatting on the phone all the time. The person would still get their job back, sadly or not. But it'd be a good opportunity for mangaement to flex their muscles.

drewed

Shankman
What Drew said is one example. Or, another example would be a center that grants personal holidays to drivers with one week of notice. Meaning, if you want Thursday the 14th off, you must write it on the center manager's calendar by no latter than the 7th. Now, when the driver writes it on the calendar on the 13th at approximately 6:30 pm (and then doesn't show up on the 14th) there is a problem for him/her. When the driver shows up for work that Friday he will be fired for job abandonment. The center manager doesn't want to go the integrity route (even thought the driver did lie on Friday morning, and that was proved beyond any doubt), because it would take even more work than the cut-and-dry case of job abandonment staring the center manager in the face.

yea. in my building we have a form that needs to be signed by your operation sup and for 22.3s the other part of the combos operation sup. then the employee gets a copy and the sups keep a copy, so if there is any question either way

drewed

Shankman
If it was a one time thing, and the person clearly has integrity - but was fired for chatting for a minute or two for "stealing time", there would be no reason for that person to say "Ok, you're right."
That's a bit extreme of a solution.

I can imagine a manager firing a problem employee that was chatting on the phone all the time. The person would still get their job back, sadly or not. But it'd be a good opportunity for mangaement to flex their muscles.

Yea i see that happening in this situation and it was left out, the sup observed him talking on the phone before and thats what led to the firing.