climate catastrophe

oldngray

nowhere special
We have 4 or 5 of those mile long coal trains a day come through town 24/7 heading toward the docks in Duluth where it is loaded on a boat an shipped through the Great Lakes to the East. Coal rules
There were some train tracks that split my route in half and the coal trains would be going dead slow as they were pulling out of the rail yard. Even worse, they would stop and back up as they were adding or dropping off cars and wouldn't clear the intersection while they were doing it.

rod

Retired 22 years
There were some train tracks that split my route in half and the coal trains would be going dead slow as they were pulling out of the rail yard. Even worse, they would stop and back up as they were adding or dropping off cars and wouldn't clear the intersection while they were doing it.
They are required to slow down to 20mph going through my town but the little town I delivered to apparently didn’t have a speed limit because they looked like they were going a hundred if you were stopped at a crossing . My town tried to get them to not blow their horns between 10 pm and 6 am but the RR wanted them to sign an agreement that the city would be responsible for all accidents so that didn’t happen. I think the RR got pissed at the city because the trains seemed to lay on the horns even longer at night now :-)

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Cut down the forests for firewood?
That is one solution.

The solution is easy: a truck equipped with a fuel tank and oil burner – with the capacity to hold 44m3 water – heats the water from 7ºC to 65ºC in 6,5 hours. The equipment has been developed in collaboration with Skellefteå Kraft AB and the truck also has a fuel depot for the helicopter. Everything is completed for efficient setup in the field with a tank and sprayer mounted under the helicopter. The hot water is then sprayed onto the the blades in the same way as when de-icing an aircraft.

Electricity producers operating in cold climates have experienced downtime costs while waiting until the ice naturally melts due to a lack of alternatives.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Climate activists set-up numerous blockades to stop train hauling coal, upset it ‘refused to stop’

I'm sure all the sleeping residents along that RR track enjoyed the horns blasting. Walking on a train track at night is a quick way to prove that you are mentally unstable.
It's not unusually for loaded down train to take over a mile to stop.

A 150-car freight train traveling 50 miles per hour takes 8000 ft. (or 1.5 miles) to stop.
An 8-car passenger train traveling 79 miles per hour takes 6000 ft. (or 1 1/8 miles) to stop.

oldngray

nowhere special
46d379e69.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not unusually for loaded down train to take over a mile to stop.

A 150-car freight train traveling 50 miles per hour takes 8000 ft. (or 1.5 miles) to stop.
An 8-car passenger train traveling 79 miles per hour takes 6000 ft. (or 1 1/8 miles) to stop.

If Train A leaves Boston at 8 am heading toward Chicago at 60 mph while Train B leaves Chicago at 9 am heading toward Boston at 80 mph how many posts will @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U make while on the clock today?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Harvard study finds that wind turbines create MORE global warming than the fossil fuels they eliminate – and the same is true for scooters and electric cars

Researchers from Harvard University have made an interesting and hilarious discovery with regards to wind power, which actually causes more global warming than the burning of fossil fuels does.

While massive wind farms are said by some to be the “renewable” energy source of the future, two Harvard scientists have found that the spinning blades of these massive metal monstrosities create more climate warming than coal plants, as one prominent example of the fossil fuel energy that climate alarmists claim is creating global warming.

In fact, wind turbines are more “polluting” in terms of the heat they give off than any fossil fuel energy source currently in use, which just goes to show that so-called “clean” energy is, at least in this case, a myth.

Published in the journal Joule, the paper concluded that, if all of the electricity demands of the United States could suddenly be supplied by nothing but wind turbines, the surface of the continental states would increase in temperature by a shocking 0.24 degrees Celsius.

This figure is vastly greater than the 0.1 degree Celsius temperature reduction that climate fanatics are aiming to achieve by “decarbonizing” our nation’s electricity sector before the finality of this current century.

rod

Retired 22 years
That is one solution.

The solution is easy: a truck equipped with a fuel tank and oil burner – with the capacity to hold 44m3 water – heats the water from 7ºC to 65ºC in 6,5 hours. The equipment has been developed in collaboration with Skellefteå Kraft AB and the truck also has a fuel depot for the helicopter. Everything is completed for efficient setup in the field with a tank and sprayer mounted under the helicopter. The hot water is then sprayed onto the the blades in the same way as when de-icing an aircraft.

Electricity producers operating in cold climates have experienced downtime costs while waiting until the ice naturally melts due to a lack of alternatives.

It don't work like that when its 20 below or more: All you do is make snow.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Mr. Peabody’s coal train?