Code 5 vs Code 6 questions answers and comments

brownintheface

Posting this with particular questions in mind but have been bouncing the reason for 2 different pay codes around my head for a while.

Management likes to hit me with the "do you want your 8 hours question"

Ok i understand the question if I come in under 8 hours but for example yesterday I started at 0900, took 30 min unpaid lunch on road, came in ready to punch out at 1710..

8 hours paid under code 6. 7.6ish paid under code 5 right?

They ask me if I want my 8 hours or take a code 5...

So the question is if they "guarantee" 8 hours of work but I still have to give ups 8.5 hours of my time to get 8 hours of pay then what in the monkey nuts is the point of having a code 6 guarantee anyway???

I can see it when working longer than 9 hours or something like that to protect your 30 mins lunch but if im on the clock a few minutes longer than 8 hours on a code 6 punch should I not get paid my 8? Instead of having to find 20 minutes of work to still only get paid my 8?

Just curious what yalls thoughts are? Management is sheisty we all know that, but next time should I push them saying I've been at work for over 8 hours of course i want my 8 hours...

brownintheface

Do you work your lunch on a 9 hour day?

Still confused on my part, a 9 hour day yields 8.5 hours paid? Again why code 6...?

No, 30 minutes unpaid but I thought that was the whole point of having a code 6 option right? To protect your 30 mins since you are required to take it...

In the case of you need to do 8 hours of actual work to get 8 hours of actual pay then again what is the reason for a code 6 option? May as well just code 5 everyone so theres no confusion... Not that id prefer it that way but atleast wouldn't have the question, number of hours worked would be definitive.

brownintheface

No, rpcd and sat and did diad training for 20 minutes instead. Its really just trying to get at the principal of it for me...

I can walk a little slower and follow orion a little to solve the time issue easily but why? Just tell me first thing in the morning hey your only getting paid hours worked and you wont see me until I have the amount of hours I need.

Still confused on my part, a 9 hour day yields 8.5 hours paid? Again why code 6...?

No, 30 minutes unpaid but I thought that was the whole point of having a code 6 option right? To protect your 30 mins since you are required to take it...

In the case of you need to do 8 hours of actual work to get 8 hours of actual pay then again what is the reason for a code 6 option? May as well just code 5 everyone so theres no confusion... Not that id prefer it that way but atleast wouldn't have the question, number of hours worked would be definitive.
Dear Lord...

Thebrownblob

1672334963211.gif

Thebrownblob

No, rpcd and sat and did diad training for 20 minutes instead. Its really just trying to get at the principal of it for me...

I can walk a little slower and follow orion a little to solve the time issue easily but why? Just tell me first thing in the morning hey your only getting paid hours worked and you wont see me until I have the amount of hours I need.
Let me clear this whole situation up for you….
1672335174462.gif

Trucker Clock

Ok i understand the question if I come in under 8 hours but for example yesterday I started at 0900, took 30 min unpaid lunch on road, came in ready to punch out at 1710..

You only worked 7 hours and 40 minutes.

8 hours paid under code 6. 7.6ish paid under code 5 right?

Correct. But if you elected to go home and not do 20 more minutes of work then you only get paid for 7.6 hours. You're guaranteed 8 hour, so they will have to find 20 more minutes of work for you. Go clean a toilet.

So the question is if they "guarantee" 8 hours of work but I still have to give ups 8.5 hours of my time to get 8 hours of pay then what in the monkey nuts is the point of having a code 6 guarantee anyway???

So that you're guaranteed to get 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week. Because you are full time.

I can see it when working longer than 9 hours or something like that to protect your 30 mins lunch

That's not the reason for the 8 hour guarantee.

30 minutes unpaid but I thought that was the whole point of having a code 6 option right? To protect your 30 mins since you are required to take it...

Nope. Not the reason.

In the case of you need to do 8 hours of actual work to get 8 hours of actual pay then again what is the reason for a code 6 option?

The reason being so that they don't dispatch you with 6 hours and you only get 6 hours pay. You have an 8 hour guarantee unless you decide to work less and then go home.

Thebrownblob

You only worked 7 hours and 40 minutes.

Correct. But if you elected to go home and not do 20 more minutes of work then you only get paid for 7.6 hours. You're guaranteed 8 hour, so they will have to find 20 more minutes of work for you. Go clean a toilet.

So that you're guaranteed to get 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week. Because you are full time.

That's not the reason for the 8 hour guarantee.

Nope. Not the reason.

The reason being so that they don't dispatch you with 6 hours and you only get 6 hours pay. You have an 8 hour guarantee unless you decide to work less and then go home.
Are you sure? recent decisions say otherwise.

Thebrownblob

I haven't seen the decision yet, but I believe that involved UPS changing codes after the fact. I don't believe it involved UPS denying any employee their 8 hour guarantee.
Nope it involve the fact they were coded 05 at the beginning of the day, not sure everyone is all over the nation, but they certainly have done that in the central. A sneaky way for the company to get a pay actual.

Trucker Clock

Nope it involve the fact they were coded 05 at the beginning of the day, not sure everyone is all over the nation, but they certainly have done that in the central. A sneaky way for the company to get a pay actual.

This has no bearing on the OP's question. He stated that he was asked if he wanted 05.

Some of the issue with that decision was drivers working less than 8 and then wanting to be paid 8. Drivers are guaranteed 8 hours of work. Not 7 and a half hours of work, go home, and be paid for 8.

The 05 code did not affect the normal driver that worked more than 8 hours. It affected those that worked less than 8 hours and failed to check with management to get their 8 hours of work before going home.

I agree with the decision though. Everybody should be coded 06, unless they agree to 05. There are other ways to deal with the drivers coming in under 8 and then sneaking out.

Trucker Clock

I'd like to see the actual decision, because I'll bet it did not involve any driver not getting their 8 hour guarantee that asked for it. Still, the codes should never be changed without the driver agreeing to it.

Thebrownblob

I'd like to see the actual decision, because I'll bet it did not involve any driver not getting their 8 hour guarantee that asked for it. Still, the codes should never be changed without the driver agreeing to it.
I agree with you about the codes, but the way the company is getting around it is by putting code 5 in the board for everyone at the beginning of the day so they can say no one change it.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
Look, unless there is a line in your suppliment, rider, etc etc, demand, theough the board for them to show ypu he line in the master that says you must request your 8hr pay gar. If they say past practice, ask them to show ypu the line that allows past practice. This stuff is simple. File away

MostHelpNeeded

"RPCDs working a Monday through Friday schedule shall be guaran-teed five (5) consecutive days of eight (8) consecutive hours per report and forty (40) straight time hours of straight time pay each week, if reporting each day as scheduled, as long as work is available."

That's the language. Doesn't say anything about having to request your hours, or make sure dispatch is heavy enough or anything. Hell, it says 40 hours of straight time PAY per week. Doesn't say work, says pay. Bottom line, it is not up to us to correct their dispatch. Send in an accurate ETA when they ask, and the rest is on them if you stand up for yourself.

They are trying the blanket 'everyone is code 5' BS here to. Make it known that it's not OK, because it isn't.

"RPCDs working a Monday through Friday schedule shall be guaran-teed five (5) consecutive days of eight (8) consecutive hours per report and forty (40) straight time hours of straight time pay each week, if reporting each day as scheduled, as long as work is available."

That's the language. Doesn't say anything about having to request your hours, or make sure dispatch is heavy enough or anything. Hell, it says 40 hours of straight time PAY per week. Doesn't say work, says pay. Bottom line, it is not up to us to correct their dispatch. Send in an accurate ETA when they ask, and the rest is on them if you stand up for yourself.

They are trying the blanket 'everyone is code 5' BS here to. Make it known that it's not OK, because it isn't.
It says you're guaranteed 8 hours worth of work
I know in the past if you got done before your 8 hours they would always pay that's out the window. So if you get back to the building in less than 8 hours then you have to ask your supervisor what does he want you to do, so you make sure that you get your 8 hours