Code 5 vs Code 6 questions answers and comments

MostHelpNeeded

I'm just telling you what you have to do
If you leave before your 8 hour shift is up you're going to dock you
I have years and years of pay stubs with guarantee pay on them as well as stubs with corrections on them when they have tried this crap before that all say otherwise.

If they don't ask, they have no right to alter your timecard. It's as simple as that.

They are management. They manage us. It is not up to us to seek out work, work is to be assigned to us. Try grabbing work from the driver next to you without asking and see what happens.

I have years and years of pay stubs with guarantee pay on them as well as stubs with corrections on them when they have tried this crap before that all say otherwise.

If they don't ask, they have no right to alter your timecard. It's as simple as that.

They are management. They manage us. It is not up to us to seek out work, work is to be assigned to us. Try grabbing work from the driver next to you without asking and see what happens.
They would never say anything to me about that

Thebrownblob

We used to have guys get off the clock early as 3 o’clock and get the guarantee every day. I being a blob was not one of those people.

MostHelpNeeded

We used to have guys get off the clock early as 3 o’clock and get the guarantee every day. I being a blob was not one of those people.
Nor was I, but 5 or ten minutes here and there is not all that uncommon. I can understand them not being very supportive of paying someone eight hours pay for 5 hours work. I get that. But this BS nickel and diming us has got to stop.

They changed it to 05 in the DIAD again, building wide. That :censored2: is not OK. We can no longer change it back. They effectively cut the guarantee for the whole building this week. No where in the contract does it say anyone has to ask for a guarantee. They are praying on the weak and quiet ones and that is complete BS.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
The thing i always wonder about when this comes up is this.... my center is a bonus center. I HATE being a bonus center i think it encourages bad habits and manipulation from management, i also do not run bonus. So for discusions sake and for me to get some more insight... IF i were to have an 8 hour dispatch and somehow got it done in 7 that means i make bonus but didn't work the 8. If you 05 you dont get bonus and its only straight time. So you are encouraged to make bonus but freaked on if you are under 8......

This hurts the bonus centers. I had a 9.5 hour plan yesterday and came in at 7.45. They gave me a paid actual but didn't ask if I wanted extra work to make the 8 hours. I'm obviously going to grieve it, but at the moment I've currently lost out on that 1.5 hours of production bonus.

This is why bonus needs to be eliminated nationally. Should be negotiated out permanently.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
This hurts the bonus centers. I had a 9.5 hour plan yesterday and came in at 7.45. They gave me a paid actual but didn't ask if I wanted extra work to make the 8 hours. I'm obviously going to grieve it, but at the moment I've currently lost out on that 1.5 hours of production bonus.
Curious about this. So are you grieving for your missing .25 or for the missing bonus? Pro tip, you won’t be paid the missing bonus. We don’t recognize time studies for many reasons,so the company won’t pay you on that.

Trucker Clock

I was just posting the decision because you asked for it. Yes everywhere has different language though this issue has been building for a while and it need to be fought.

Thanks for posting that. I had heard about it but didn’t see the actual decision.

Yes, every area may be different, but the Company coding 05 for drivers should not be happening anywhere.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
The thing i always wonder about when this comes up is this.... my center is a bonus center. I HATE being a bonus center i think it encourages bad habits and manipulation from management, i also do not run bonus. So for discusions sake and for me to get some more insight... IF i were to have an 8 hour dispatch and somehow got it done in 7 that means i make bonus but didn't work the 8. If you 05 you dont get bonus and its only straight time. So you are encouraged to make bonus but freaked on if you are under 8......
We are bonus center and you get bonus 06 or 05, doesn't matter. You under, you under.

Michael Scott

Im in a bonus center and roughly 50% of our drivers run bonus everyday. Some as much as 1.5-2.0 under on average daily. I really wish we would get rid of it and wonder if said drivers work paces would change or not.

Thebrownblob

Im in a bonus center and roughly 50% of our drivers run bonus everyday. Some as much as 1.5-2.0 under on average daily. I really wish we would get rid of it and wonder if said drivers work paces would change or not.
The time allowance is a fake number. We had many guys running an hour to two hours under allowed for quite a while. Then eventually IE start a changing allowances and unit numbers now most of those under allowed are barely even or over allowed with more work. Lol. The ultimate carrot on a stick.

AKCoverMan

I always answer the “code 05“ message the same way. “Code six only I am full time” I also always send a message at my last stop with ETA to center which is just long standing habit but certainly not required Always get my guarantee, can count number of times I actually asked for code five on one hand.

Yes, sometimes I get redispatched. In our center’s territory it’s almost impossible to get sent to help without getting pushed over 9.5 unless they had really screwed the pooch by dispatching you incredibly light. It just takes awhile to get to meet point, transfer stuff, figure out where the heck your going and find stops your not familiar with. Usually turns into a grievance.

Best one was a day on eight hour request and dang if they hadn’t finally got it right (they had blown the previous three..all paid grieves)…..I was tooling back in at about 7.4 hours with a 15 min break still in pocket. Might have ended up with 20 min guarantee pay, no biggie.

Get the “code 05” message. Wow! Really?? OK, let’s play! I send my standard code six only answer, they send me to help a driver 25 mins away tell me take “ten stops”. Other driver tells me doesn't need help he will get it done but no.. I was instructed to help so….

Day that might have been 20 min guarantee pay became 9.6 hours. The eight hour day grievance was paid again and reused again. (Fun fact: they failed again too I got paid on that eight hour day like five times before they got it right!) The 9.5 strike led to strike three later in the week and that grievance paid. Other driver told me the time he saved from giving me the ten stops was almost all wasted by breaking to go to meet point.

But hey, UPS, good job making sure a Teamster didn’t get over on you for a few minutes of guarantee! Twenty minutes saved but you paid me 1.6 OT plus two hours straight time penalty and triggered a 9.5 payout. Prolly cut few minutes OT off other driver so I guess that helps?

Don‘t get mad. Just make em pay. It’s all they understand.

DOK

I agree with you about the codes, but the way the company is getting around it is by putting code 5 in the board for everyone at the beginning of the day so they can say no one change it.
I’ve noticed that. If everyone would just work 8 hours wouldn’t be a problem. Ups playing on the fact a lot of guys only care about getting done. If you start at 9 your 8 hours is 5:30pm, some people just simply don’t want to work that late.

Gonein33

We had the same thing going on in our center from last summer through peak (Pacific NW). I too had stubs showing I was guaranteed 8 hrs of pay all the way back from 2007. I filed a grievance every time they Code 5'd me saying it was past practice that they needed to keep it the same way. We won the grievance and everyone in the bldg is now back to Code 06 after a long drawn out process. Some guys/gals will be getting monster reimbursement checks in the bldg that were going home early during peak (also another part of our grievance was there's 8 hrs of work available but you're doleing it out to PVD's so that was an easy argument win).

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
We had the same thing going on in our center from last summer through peak (Pacific NW). I too had stubs showing I was guaranteed 8 hrs of pay all the way back from 2007. I filed a grievance every time they Code 5'd me saying it was past practice that they needed to keep it the same way. We won the grievance and everyone in the bldg is now back to Code 06 after a long drawn out process. Some guys/gals will be getting monster reimbursement checks in the bldg that were going home early during peak (also another part of our grievance was there's 8 hrs of work available but you're doleing it out to PVD's so that was an easy argument win).
Good work!

Marinedad

I keep it simple. I’m a 30 year, full-time, guaranteed 8 hours/day driver. I never allow them to code 5 me. There are days, usually on Mondays that I may clock out before 8 hours. The first thing I do when I get to the parking lot is check my time card to make sure that it says pay guarantee. If it doesn’t I walk back in and make sure that they change it. After a few arguments it’s no longer an issue. Also if they’re gonna code 5 you they have to ask you in the morning, not tell you when you’re about to clock out at night.