Cold weather gear?

SisyphUPS

For me, the key is to acclimate. When it first gets cold, resist the urge to bundle up super warm. Instead, expose yourself to the cold. Your body will acclimate and the rest of the winter will be easier on you. It's been a rough couple of days, but it does pay off. Last winter here in the Midwest I never wore more than a base layer and vest, Thinsilate boots, 180s and Ironclad gloves.

tapatio75

Under armour base 2 and a lucky find for a brown UA coldgear a north face jacket (the thin one) and the vest to put the keys and pens works for Chicago

AlwaysChafed

I've found no difference between under armour and the knock off brands like champion. The heaters in these aren't good at all. Writing them up will do nothing but aggravate 1brownwrench. Acclimate yourself to the changing temperature.

I've had very good luck with C9 (Champion at Target) uppers and Starter lowers in both the wear department. Definitely years old - on now.

barnyard

KTM rider
Today when I left home, it was +7. I wore an UA knockoff base layer sleeveless shirt, turtle neck, uniform short, UPS pile lined zip up hooded sweatshirt (it is in the UPS catalog, not a uniform item, but my boss said I can wear it) and UPS vest on top. When it got windy, I added the light rain jacket, but took it off when the wind calmed down.

Wicking socks, followed by smartwool knockoffs and 200 gr thinsulate Danners and my feet were toasty all day. Mid-weight base layer bottoms and UPS pants. For gloves, I wore polyester liners and then a pair of mechanics gloves that my wife sewed some special thread in the fingertips so I can work the board.

I was comfy all day and kept the passenger door open much of the day.

I like going through Sierra Trading post for base layers. They ship UPS and usually have a good selection of long lengths (36 inch inseam for me, cannot wear most off the shelf base layers.)

Later in the winter, I will add a balaclava and maybe a Refrigiwear pullover. Refrigiwear makes stuff for people that work in coolers and cold weather, their stuff is warm and built tough. Way better than the stuff from some of the trendy catalog outfits.

If the high is going to be below zero, I have a pair of brown windpants that I add. I can only wear them if I am doing resis, running in and out of offices, I get way too warm wearing them.

upssouth

Nike dri fit for a base layer then work shirt, vest, and if really cold jacket. Don't forget Russian har for ears. Faster you move less cold you'll be

barnyard

KTM rider
It is amazing how much warmer I am with the hood up on my sweatshirt. Many days, with the hood up, I do not need a warmer jacket. You loose a lot of heat through your head and neck.

watdaflock?

Fleece vests rule. Keep your core temperature warm.
Very important to wear gloves and a hat, the two places (head and hands) you lose body heat the most.

AlwaysChafed

Kevlar thread is the stuff to sew in the fingertips of gloves to make them work on a diad or other device.
I didn't put any thought into those tiny little buttons. Bought some 80g gloves and the fingers were too fat. $30 lesson learned. I may just cut the thumb tips off.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Four layers isn't even cutting it - two pairs of long johns, a mid weight, and browns. What is everyone using for maximum warmth and mobility? I have a pair of RAB mid weight but the crotch hangs so low it's hard to getting in and on things. My hoodie is a little bulky as well. Looking for thinner/warmth materials. The cold seems to stay with me. Ugh.

CARRHARTS!! the only way to go if
It's that damn cold