Cold weather gear?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Today when I left home, it was +7. I wore an UA knockoff base layer sleeveless shirt, turtle neck, uniform short, UPS pile lined zip up hooded sweatshirt (it is in the UPS catalog, not a uniform item, but my boss said I can wear it) and UPS vest on top. When it got windy, I added the light rain jacket, but took it off when the wind calmed down.

Wicking socks, followed by smartwool knockoffs and 200 gr thinsulate Danners and my feet were toasty all day. Mid-weight base layer bottoms and UPS pants. For gloves, I wore polyester liners and then a pair of mechanics gloves that my wife sewed some special thread in the fingertips so I can work the board.

I was comfy all day and kept the passenger door open much of the day.

I like going through Sierra Trading post for base layers. They ship UPS and usually have a good selection of long lengths (36 inch inseam for me, cannot wear most off the shelf base layers.)

Later in the winter, I will add a balaclava and maybe a Refrigiwear pullover. Refrigiwear makes stuff for people that work in coolers and cold weather, their stuff is warm and built tough. Way better than the stuff from some of the trendy catalog outfits.

If the high is going to be below zero, I have a pair of brown windpants that I add. I can only wear them if I am doing resis, running in and out of offices, I get way too warm wearing them.

Where do you work Antarctica!!

Ring Sport

Layers, and stay away from Cotton.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/layering-basics.html

A lot of times the problem is that individuals don't want to invest in quality. They think that hitting the local department store will suffice. Your base layer (material that touches your skin) being breathable and self wicking is key.

Was able to show my kid at 12 years old how to survive building his own snow cave in an area where temps can dip as low as -69 degrees fahrenheit. He was the youngest of only 3 or 4 kids, if I remember right, that made it thru the whole night on a camping trip. About a dozen of them started. A short time later we were getting ready to start our day and there on the National News was where he was as the coldest place in the Nation. It is all about layers and the right gear.

http://www.backcountry.com

For men click on the tab that says "men" then under clothing click on underwear and baselayers.

For women click on the tab that says "women" then click on the tab that says "baselayers" under the clothing tab.

http://www.rei.com/c/mens-underwear

http://www.rei.com/c/womens-underwear

The links that I have shown may be somewhat pricey, but the stuff will last. One other thing. Do not wash them with fabric softener.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Four layers isn't even cutting it - two pairs of long johns, a mid weight, and browns. What is everyone using for maximum warmth and mobility? I have a pair of RAB mid weight but the crotch hangs so low it's hard to getting in and on things. My hoodie is a little bulky as well. Looking for thinner/warmth materials. The cold seems to stay with me. Ugh.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/_/N-1100900
I have two types of thermals I wear (or base layers as the new generation calls them). One set is black and thin (medium weight). This is usually good when it's below 32. I also have a polar MTP (Cabela's brand) I wear which is like a terrycloth soft thick feel. You can only pull this off if you have some room in your current pants and shirt. If they're too tight already, you won't be able to fit a polar base layer under everything. If something says heavy weight, but is the thin black material, it's not going to keep you warm enough in the bitter cold weather IMO. Only the thick terry cloth fleece-like polar base layers will keep you warm enough. Last winter there were a few 10 degree days where I only wore my Cabelas polar MTPs, a tshirt and long sleeve uniform shirt with no coat and was very warm.

Future

Victory Ride
Last winter was the first time in a long career that I (A) wore gloves....(B) wore a wool hat......on almost a every day basis! That one really made me think about my career choice!

Thebrownstreak

Four layers isn't even cutting it - two pairs of long johns, a mid weight, and browns. What is everyone using for maximum warmth and mobility? I have a pair of RAB mid weight but the crotch hangs so low it's hard to getting in and on things. My hoodie is a little bulky as well. Looking for thinner/warmth materials. The cold seems to stay with me. Ugh.
Buy a neck gator. They do a good job at keeping the cold off your neck

Suggestion from Minnesota: when your hands get cold take 15-30 secs and swing arms aggressively above head, then below waist, back and forth. This got me through all winter last year, down to 60 below temps. No joke, It works.
Hand warmers if needed. If your feet get cold, Run! just like the arms it gets blood pumping, and gives body warmth. If ya can avoid it, steel toe will freeze your feet.

If the layers are too tight it probably works against you. I always hear in center gotta have space between the layers.

jaker

trolling
I usually just put a long sleeve under armor Shirt under my browns to knock off the wind and I still just wear shorts