Colorblind test?

Apd

I was wonder if a colorblind test is required to become a driver or not? If it is required, is it the standard test with the dots and numbers or is it just a field test where you have to name the colors of a stop light?

mainebrown

I'm "color blind" according to the exams... But,....I see colors just fine, so I don't think I'm that bad off. But when I take the color exam with the dots I fail. I'm a driver and pass DOT physicals, they just ask me to point to green, then red, then yellow.

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Due to the fact the company doctor thought my blood pressure was a bit high, back in 1985 they put me on hypertension meds. When they do that you go from a physical every 2 years to one every year. For 29 years I had a physical every year. I took it at a place near my home more times than not. They never consistently give me the same test every year. Sometimes it was the Ishihara test (colored dots) and sometimes they asked what sequence the lights were on a traffic signal they had hanging from their ceiling. A couple of times they didn't give me either one. Same with the hearing test. They had a little room built and you wore headphones and made hand signals to the nurse working the sound beeps outside the window. Couple of times they just turned their head and whispered. And a couple of more times just like the color blindness test, they didn't check at all.

iruhnman630

I don't believe the contract says anything specific about passing physicals, as long as the doctor says you meet dot requirements your fine.

HomeDelivery

... But when I take the color exam with the dots I fail. I'm a driver and pass DOT physicals, they just ask me to point to green, then red, then yellow.

ditto, the Ishihara test confuses me; i think i'm green-blue deficient

16!

Ishihara+7.jpg

WTF?!?

ishihara.png

um, 12, 3? , 23, 8?, 5?, 17? ~ 12 being the only sure thing i'm positive on

so they whip out 3 solid colored cards & passed that way:eek:

Apd

Great, thanks for the feedback. That is the only worry I have and would hate to do my time as a package handler only to find out I can't make the cut to become a driver because of it. Thanks again.

HomeDelivery

no problem... i passed 3 straight times soo far w/ that process ~ if they see you struggling, just be direct and say so ~ they'll whip out those solid-colors in a jiffy

PS: can someone confirm that i got those right?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yeah, all I could see above for sure is the 16 in the first one and the 12 in the next set. I'm partially color blind too.

Sometimes they do the 3 solid color traffic light colors, others I get a bonehead nurse who will point to a random poster on the wall and ask me "what color is this?" I then have to explain to her that for DOT you just have to identify the red, green & yellow of a traffic light.

rod

Retired 22 years
According to the colored dot test I'm color blind also. Every time I took a physical they gave me the same friggin test. Color blindness is something you are born with (about 1 in 20 guys and 1 in 1000 girls)----something like that. There is no "cure" for color blindness so I don't know why they would continue to give the test once you have been shown to be color blind. I have used the "color blind" thing to my advantage for years by not having to get involved with picking colors for the home or stuff like that.