Comments on this "You are fired"

luckyme

It happened to a friend this are the facts and your opinion will be appreciated.

He was called over the fone and said "your license its suspended since 12/2010 so you are fired".
He went out and 2 hours latter he call and said "I'm already fix the problem and my license it is OK now"
"Its to late we sorry".
He file a grievance.
I dont know why his license was suspended.
union defense comment are needed
thank you

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Here's one, find a new career.

There is alot of assumption here for us to do. But, let me guess what happened, its a similiar tale anywhere in the country.

Your "friend" recieved some tickets the prior year and let them go to warrant and upaid. The courts suspended the license for the failure to appear and posted bail on each that was unpayable by your "friend". Your "friend" continued driving at UPS despite the suspension of the license with full knowledge that he was operating a company vehicle without a proper driving license priviledge in the state.

Your "friend" then filled out the CHP/Patrol affidavit for the company, then signed it and submitted it to the company. This document, which is a legal document, was then investigated by the company, his driving record discovered and the status of driving priviledges also discovered.

The company chose to "terminate" your friend for dishonesty for failure to report the suspension of driving priviledges and for falsly completing the CHP/Patrol affidivit.

I can only assume that your "friend" drove a UPS vehicle for months before being discovered.

What advice could anyone possibly give your "friend"?

Proven dishonesty in this case and all you should do is walk away from it.

Peace.

luckyme

Thank 'the other side'
What are you saying it kinda stuff i heard but having me solution in hand havent ask my friend problably never do.
So your opinion it that he knew all along so he was dishonest. how he fix the problem in 2 hour?, how stupid that is?(my friend)
No defense at all?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He probably did fix the problem in 2 hours. All he had to do was pay for to have the suspension lifted. He will then have to either pay for or fight the ticket(s) which led to the suspension. He may have done that as well.

Bottom line, he knew he had the ticket(s), knew he hadn't taken care of them, knew the license was suspended but didn't bother telling UPS about it.

Can you imagine the liability the company would have had if something had happened while he was driving a company vehicle on a suspended license?

959Nanook

I am having trouble recalling the specifics of the annual tattle tale that we fill out. I recall that it asks for driving violations. Does it ask if your license is/was suspended? It is not that difficult to get you license suspended for getting behind on child support as an example. Another example, is failure to mail in the proof of insurance form to the DMV after an accident (something that could easily get cleared up in two hours).

I am not condoning the individual's decision to drive on a suspended license. That is wrong and he deserves to be terminated for that reason alone provided there were not some mitigating circumstances that have not been provided by the OP. I suppose my question is whether or not it is possible to accurately fill out the annual tattle tale if you driver's license was suspended for some of the reasons I gave. I would think that the form probably says something to the effect of my license is in good working order as it should be but I do not recall the form verbatim.

luckyme

upstate totally agree with you about ups liability
i went to read the NMA art 16 sec 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 that tell me he had an out just by telling before ups knew and let me tell you he is no new to "the book" and grievance procedure. some time instead of sorry I'm angry at him

Braveheart

Some people just deserve what they get.

You guys are way too harsh. We have no idea why the license was suspended. My girlfriend's little brother got pulled over and charged with driving on a suspended license. Problem was it was not suspended at all. We had proof from the State Office but the gubers at the county level had bad info on their computer. His license was never suspended at all at any time period. The judge threw the whole thing out and apologized for the mistake.

Morals of the story, do not jump to conclusions and never trust a government office as all knowing.

hypocrisy

Banned
I've seen lots of Drivers fired for "dishonestly" filling out the annual license certification. All got their jobs back, some with back pay. However, is this problem really necessary?

Most States have an "unofficial" record you can print yourself online for a nominal fee.

Print this record and attach it to the certification with "See attached" written in the violation section (and remember this is only for violations you are convicted for at that time). Print and attach even if you have no violations. Keep a copy for yourself.

Problem solved.

over9five

Staff member
Perhaps I should have said:

"Based on the information provided, some people deserve what they get".

Or not....

CustomerConcern

Happened to a buddy of mine as well. After I ripped him a new one we put a grievance together and sent it up. He was an air driver, did not drive during suspension. At panel his was heard with 3 others who were FT drivers. 2 of the FT remained fired others got reinstated.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The post office lost my check to the court. My license was suspended without my knowledge. It happened years ago, but it still happened. I thought management was quick to judge. Wow.