Compare Covid/summer peak to Christmas peak??

Air Recovery

It's heavier in my building than a normal peak. Random example is our center usually does 30-32k volume during peak......this tuesday we did 35k.

we have 12 trailers of literally just irregs in the yard.

it is peak season numbers in the heat with no helpers

Air Recovery

There are few stark differences,

1. hot as hell

2. no helpers

3. zero Christmas cheer

4. no definitive end in sight

5. no Christmas gifts

6. Lots of outdoor Paraphernalia (bbq’s, patio heaters, patio furniture).

7. Looting and riots

8. Not fully staffed

I’m sure there’s more but that’s off the top of my head. In short, it sucks!!!!!

And the potential to catch a horrid virus which stops you from breathing

Benefits

For one- people get to take a vacation, my leadership has certainly taken theirs. It's not that we are overwhelmed. Management moved our start times to later, let the trucks pile up, volume sit and then basically crack the whip during the sort. "WORK FASTER, HARDER!!!" They do union work, and use the excuse, that they had to because we are short.

They also use the excuse, that they can't start people early, because senior people would complain. But when it comes to the end of the sort, they cut entire belts, with no regards to seniority.

But the biggest changes I've noted.
People steal things from each other, and management couldn't careless. My guess they also steal from "strangers" who are customers.
Haven't seen a guard check a bag, even pretend to in months. People who don't get their packages, are told basically bummer for you, there is a pandemic! Riots!! We no longer guarantee deliveries, but we continue to tell people we do, and charge them for it.

As for handling of packages, methods? Remember the latest mandatory stretches campaign? With the fancy videos? My experience is: punch in, 2 minute PCM which no one can hear above the noise of the belts and social distancing. Cause we need to run, get those packages through!!! Which we do. I've seen people, who used to REALLY care, throw them, kick them, certainly drop them 4 feet to a lower belt. Tape the ones falling apart? Well, there isn't any tape available. I suppose there isn't money in the budget for that. (might affect their bonus)

They spend money on marketing, silly signs, calling us heros! Essential workers!
The biggest difference between peak and Covid19 for part-timers is- Their counterpart, minimum wage workers, who were not essential workers, a HERO, have been sitting home, collecting unemployment and the $600 weekly check, along with saving money and mileage on their cars, wear and tear on their bodies. One would have to be of very low intelligence to choose to work here in the future.

This will eventually end. The economy will change. People will be able to get a different job.. I believe it will change UPS for longer.
Leadership, sets the example. When they don't care, their employees don't either.

Overpaid Union Thug

I’m hoping the average online shopper and family will be broke by peak season and the result will be a light peak. Seems like many are spending so much money now. I just don’t see how people aren’t broke already. Rona checks were decent. But damn.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I’m hoping the average online shopper and family will be broke by peak season and the result will be a light peak. Seems like many are spending so much money now. I just don’t see how people aren’t broke already. Rona checks were decent. But damn.
For most , it's the 600$ kiss in the mail each week !! That we the essentials are paying for 😡!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
People Have simply shifted how they’re spending. Buying more goods online than in the store. I know the wife and I probably have a unique situation. But we’re both making more money than ever before. Just no time to spend it. Except online.

MattM

Last year we had union driver helpers at top rate. Now we have union PVDs 2-3 months before.

Amazing money for so many.