Computer skills on internal non union job listings

A lot of positions ask for competency in Microsoft Access and Excel applications. I'm in the process of starting to learn one then moving on to the other. To what tier of capability is normally sought when applying for these positions?

fatthief

For access, you need to know how to utilize its function and sometime know how to build a database. For excel, you need to know how simple functions like max min random...etc.

beentheredonethat

A small fraction of people know how to utilize even half of what access can do. Writing SQL on the fly is pretty simple, writing procedures and functions also isn't too bad. I'd say I'm in the upper 5% of people with access knowledge in the districts and I know that I don't know all that much about access. Most people know it can be a career killer (it hurt me for a bit of time). People who can't do access except to click a button assume it's easy (since they don't know it). Therefore there is an opinion if you can do access you can't do other stuff. I'm hoping the folks in corporate have a better knowledge of access. But I doubt it.