confederate flag?

Box Ox

Ken Burns: Confederate flag isn't about heritage. It's about resistance to civil rights.

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/25/8846879/ken-burns-civil-war

"I think what happens is that we build up over time the sense of an excuse about why it came," Burns said. "If you read … South Carolina's articles of secession in November — after [Abraham] Lincoln's election of 1860 — they don't mention states' rights, they don't mention nullification. They mention slavery over and over again."

He later added, "Those [Confederate] flags came in after Brown v. Board of Education. This is not about heritage. This is about resistance to civil rights."

With these two points, Burns is demonstrating how the Confederate battle flag has always been a symbol against efforts by black Americans to gain equal rights. When South Carolina became the first state to secede after Lincoln's election, it explicitly singled out attempts to abolish slavery and grant rights to black Americans as "hostile to the South" and "destructive of its beliefs and safety." And as Vox's Libby Nelson explained, Southerners used the flag to intimidate civil rights advocates and defend segregation. So while some Southerners might not see the Confederate flag as a racist symbol, the truth is the flag's history is mired in racism.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Now they want tear down the Jefferson Memorial. He did own slaves you know.
You can't erase history.
If they want to abolish the memory of slavery then where does that leave them? With out a history of slavery then it was like they were never here. If they were never here then......

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Is anybody here fighting over the American flag?
The Neanderthals with their Bibles and guns are!
The other side is pledging their allegiance to this flag:

euro-flag_gif.jpg

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
For me not pride. I just object to people telling me what to say , feel or think. Dislike censorship in any form.
Interesting because I don't see it as telling anyone what to say or think but more like having a conversation about what is being conveyed, intentionally or not.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Interesting because I don't see it as telling anyone what to say or think but more like having a conversation about what is being conveyed, intentionally or not.
Watch the news or read the news.
The uproar is about forcing the sovereign state of South Carolina to not fly the battle flag of the previous National government of South Carolina.

bbsam

Staff member
The uproar is about forcing the sovereign state of South Carolina to not fly the battle flag of the previous National government of South Carolina.
Seems like that's just public opinion. I think the public opinion is right but it's not like they're being forced out of the union or having federal monies withheld.

Sportello

To be a nation, doesn't at least one other nation have to recognize you as a nation? Not one country recognized the pretend CSA as a legitimate country, let alone recognizing South Carolina as a country.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To be a nation, doesn't at least one other nation have to recognize you as a nation? Not one country recognized the pretend CSA as a legitimate country, let alone recognizing South Carolina as a country.
France didn't recognize the south as a country when they sent troops over to conquer mexico so they could supply the south?

T

Turdferguson

Really?
Anyone who says the flag represents anything but hate are labeled backward thinking hillbilly rednecks.
Should the swastika be banned because hate groups use it?

bbsam

Staff member
Pa
Really?
Anyone who says the flag represents anything but hate are labeled backward thinking hillbilly rednecks.
Should the swastika be banned because hate groups use it?
Pardon me, but I have said nothing of swastikas or hillbillies. What I have said is that the flag represents a defeated enemy of the United States and that it has picked up a reputation for representing racial bigotry. I didn't assign those attributes. History did.