conference call

FAVREFAN

Let me negotiate. We'll be done in an hour.........

Wages.....
Full-time $4.00 over 5 years. .40c Feb 1st/.40c Aug 1st each year.
Part-time $5.00 over 5 years. .50c Feb 1st/.50c Aug 1st each year

Part-time starting wage goes up to $10 per/hour

Health Care.....
$75 per month and $20 co-pay with $500 deductible for same great coverage as current plan.(single)
$150 per month and $20 co-pay with $1000 deductible for same great coverage as current plan.(family)
(both more than fair for both sides)

Pensions.........
Full-time stays at current plans
Part-time $5 increase per month for each year of service for 25/30/35 and out plans

All new full time jobs will be in package car or feeder. No new 22.3's

O.k.? Fair? A little give and take here?
The unions proposal is rediculous and the the companys proposal is even more rediculous.
Quit friend-ing around! Let's get it done!
What is happening hurts union members and the company equally.
Let's get real here. Quickly.

stink219

Wages.....

Health Care.....
$75 per month and $20 co-pay with $500 deductible for same great coverage as current plan.(single)
$150 per month and $20 co-pay with $1000 deductible for same great coverage as current plan.(family)

Pensions.........
Part-time $5 increase per month for each year of service for 25/30/35 and out plans

The unions proposal is rediculous and the the companys proposal is even more rediculous.
Yours is ridiculous as well.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Wages.....

Health Care.....

Pensions.........

Good thing you're not on the negotiating team.

opie

3) The union is proposing a PT starting wage increase to $15 per hour and $1/yr raise thereafter. The company wants the wages to remain the same and is instead offering $1,000 bonus (per year?) to FT and $500 to PT. hall was audibly disgusted with the companies offer on economics. The call was cutting in and out on my cellphone during this time so I didn't hear about friend/T wages..

I'm all in favor of raising the starting pay for PTers. But $15/hr is unfair for us PTers who have been with the company for years. Unless they plan to bump up existing PTers pay as well. Anyway the company would never agree to this. Maybe $10/hr would be more feasible.

FAVREFAN

UPS wants to eliminate all 22.3 jobs as the jobs become vacant.
Hoffa wants more 22.3 jobs.
Quit with the new 22.3 jobs allready.
Concentrate on our healthcare/wages/pensions.
All new full-time jobs should be in package car or feeder.
Our drivers are being worked to death. They need the help. Clearly room for full-time jobs in package car.
Where is the common sense here?
I'm not a driver, I'm part-time inside. And I can see on here how they need help bad. Working 10-12 hour days everyday. Yet Hoffa is pushing more 22.3 jobs. WTF is going on here? Such simple solutions for all of this.

opie

Quit with the new 22.3 jobs allready.
Concentrate on our healthcare/wages/pensions.
All new full-time jobs should be in package car or feeder.
Our drivers are being worked to death. They need the help. Clearly room for full-time jobs in package car.
Where is the common sense here?
I'm not a driver, I'm part-time inside. And I can see on here how they need help bad. Working 10-12 hour days everyday. Yet Hoffa is pushing more 22.3 jobs. WTF is going on here? Such simple solutions for all of this.

Not everyone wants or can be a package car driver or feeder. 22.3 gives those PTers an opportunity to go FT. There are many 22.3 jobs that do consist of driving, air driving to be exact. I wasn't around in 1997. But getting PTers another path to FT was part of the reason the union went on strike. And to throw all that away would be a shame.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Hall said specifically about the dollar reduction to part timers that TDU posted was never a company proposal until after it was on the TDU website. Maybe TDU is closer to management than they appear.

Interesting -- because in 2009-2010 in my district they tried stripped the $1 premium from PT - first announcing it'd affect all PTers, then relenting and saying only new hires "for now," -- only to stay the demand until contract talks.......

Fullhouse

The question an answer session was a joke! Ken had taken to much time bashing TDU, and themoderator just plain failed. The moderator knew what the questions were before he let them on. Remember *3 if you have a question to ask? There was definately no questions asked that really needed to be asked!
I notice there was not even a mention about any pention increases for members pulled out of Central States back in 2008, I wonder why? With the falling value of the dollar, the current amount of our retirement payments will surely not suffice in 15-20 years.
This is going to be a long spring, because I don't see anything getting done on the national agreement. Hope I'm wrong.

kingOFchester

Not everyone wants or can be a package car driver or feeder. 22.3 gives those PTers an opportunity to go FT. There are many 22.3 jobs that do consist of driving, air driving to be exact. I wasn't around in 1997. But getting PTers another path to FT was part of the reason the union went on strike. And to throw all that away would be a shame.

What if I don't want to do the work a 22.3 does or drive? Should the union require UPS to start a full time job that allows me to run the printer full time? God knows they could use someone full time printing the endless reports.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Wages.....

Health Care.....

Pensions.........

Good thing you're not on the negotiating team.

+10000

kingOFchester

I ask why? The UPS economical climate during the 2007 negotiations was worse then where it is now. During the 2007 negotiations the stock was 13% lower then where is now. Dividends were lower then they are now. CEO pay was half of what it is now. I detailed it pretty good here http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/stock-349216/#post1110867

which I will repost below.

I ask, why give now when UPS is in a better position now, then where it was during the 2007 negotiations?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hall said specifically about the dollar reduction to part timers that TDU posted was never a company proposal until after it was on the TDU website. Maybe TDU is closer to management than they appear.

The dollar issue has always been there. UPS has tried to take back that dollar going back to 1997. UPS has tried to "dumb" down each position within the part time ranks in order to "remove" the "SKILLED" from the job, but was we all know, if it wasnt for the "SKILLED" partimers, these UPS technologies would fail on their own.

peace

TOS

kingOFchester

Stock flirting with all time highs, but we are discussing concessions?

The month leading up to the previous ratification 11/1/2007 -12/19/2007 the stock topped out at $75.14 cents. During that time it even bottomed out at a little over $70.00 (November 21st 2007).

But lets go with the high at the time. $75.14. Today it closed at $84.76. That is close to a 13% increase in value from 2007 negotiations HIGH until our current negotiations. The increase percentage would be even higher if I had used the November 21st 2007 low.

Lets compare that to some other stocks.

FEDEX
11/1/2007 -12/19/2007 The stock topped out at $103.83
Today it closed at $98.48 That is a loss of over 5%

EXXON MOBLIE
11/1/2007 - 12/19/2007 The stock topped out at $90.38.
Today it closed at $89.29 That is a loss of 1%

GENERAL ELECTRIC
11/1/2007 - 12/19/2007 The stock topped out at $40.34
Today it closed at $23.37 That is a loss of over 42%

So, in closing..... UPS stock has increased in value by 13% from where it was during the 2007 negotiations. Fedex loss 5%, EXON loss 1%, and GE loss 42% during that same time period. CEO is making more now then 2007. Stock holders are getting a bigger dividend then they did during the 2007 negotiations.

Side note, the companies I used were not cherry picked.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
3) The union is proposing a PT starting wage increase to $15 per hour and $1/yr raise thereafter. The company wants the wages to remain the same and is instead offering $1,000 bonus (per year?) to FT and $500 to PT. hall was audibly disgusted with the companies offer on economics. The call was cutting in and out on my cellphone during this time so I didn't hear about friend/T wages..

I'm all in favor of raising the starting pay for PTers. But $15/hr is unfair for us PTers who have been with the company for years. Unless they plan to bump up existing PTers pay as well. Anyway the company would never agree to this. Maybe $10/hr would be more feasible.

I say $10 an hour with a 3 year progression that gets part timers to $15 an hour. No $1 hour skill pay is fine I think. There isn't much skill involved anymore.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
22.3 jobs are a relevant part of the discussions. We have many brothers and sisters who cannot drive either a package car or feeder rig but want a full time job. We have drivers who get medically restricted from driving after they have worked many years due to many things ( diabetes, strokes etc etc) and we need positions for full timers to "fall back" to when this happens.

We have many "clerks" who want full time, but dont want to drive.

There are many reasons, but none more important than creating more full time jobs for teamsters.

Peace

TOS

kingOFchester

I say $10 an hour with a 3 year progression that gets part timers to $15 an hour. No $1 hour skill pay is fine I think. There isn't much skill involved anymore.

I agree. Add in the option for part timers to opt out of health care for a hour $$ amount above the $15 an hour. In my center a lot of the part timers are under 26 so they could go on their parents plan. We also have a pretty good number of part timers that have parents working full time. Seems senseless for them to have coverage when they can get the same coverage under their parents.

Get rid of the dollar for skilled. Was good when they had to actually use shipping labels.

oldupsman

I participated in this conference call and I am updated weekly. The explanation about surepost (IMO) was WEAK at best, the Teamsters will continue to allow UPS to use Surepost. The diversion of ground pkgs to Surepost will increase over the term of this next contract. hall explained how surepost was vital to the business, and he stated he wanted some limitations, but the company was fighting the technology that had to be implemented to watchdog surepost. This has to do with "weights".

Second, the company presented its economic proposals on monday. They were a complete joke. The company is asking for a 7 year deal.

For full timers, the company will pay each FT 1000 a year for the first 4 years of the contract, and that 1000 to go towards health and welfare benefits.( no cash in your pockets) For the last 3 years of the contract, UPS has GRACIOUSLY offered FTers .50 cents an hour over three years.

For part timers, divide that in half. 500 bonus towards health and welfare, and .25 cents an hour over 3 years.

Remember this. This "BONUS" that UPS is suggesting is "taxable" and you would recieve a 1099 for this money/benefit.

THIS UPS PROPOSAL IS A COMPLETE JOKE.

The Teamsters have offered an offer of a little over 1.00 an hour for fulltimers over 5 years. Again, another joke, but not as bad as the company offer.

The company insists on taking away the "skilled" 1.00 away from part timers and NO increase in starting pay for part timers.

AS for insurance. The company is still holding firm on forcing us to pay for our healthcare. The alternatives are NO BETTER either.

The Teamsters have "suggested" that UPS consider the Teamsters taking over the health care plans and if you know anything about the Teamster plans, you would know that they are INFERIOR to the current health care plans offered to us by UPS.

The real important aspect of this update is that there is NO significant progress being made by either side. March 31st has been set as a deadline by the Teamsters for the company to "withdraw" its current proposals and re propose a valid offer.

On the 31st, the TEAMSTERS are walking away from negotiations and will not contact the company for further contact. hall clearly states that the COMPANY will have contact the TEAMSTERS after that date if they want to negotiate in good faith. IF NOT, the TEAMSTERS will begin to notify its members of the impasse and once again, we may be on strike come August 1 2013.

YOU NEED TO TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY. THERE WILL BE NO AGREEMENT !

WE WILL BE ON STRIKE.

If you have your dreams set on an agreement beforehand, then you need to re-evalulate that thought process and begin the process of protecting yourself and your families financial security.

This call was NOT uplifting at all. The information was ALL BAD.

Where I draw Ire from, was from both TDU and hall.

First, TDU, for POSTING THE PHONE NUMBERS FOR THESE CONFERENCE CALLS. Do you people realize UPS MANAGEMENT gets this information and calls in and listens to the calls? You are NOT HELPING the membership by continuing this practice.

Second, for hall to turn this call into a TDU bashing was ridiculous as well. Of the 4 calls taken on the call, 3 were TDU bashers.

NOT one call about anything on the contract.

Shame on both sides.

There was NOTHING positive about this call.

The 9.5 language hall spoke of, already EXISTS and that was nothing new, even though he made it sound like it was. In fact, it was LESS than we agreed to in 2008. In 2008, if you wanted to be on the 9.5 list, all you had to do was notify your center manager and you were on the list. TODAY, hall states that his "new" 9.5 language says that if you want to be on the 9.5 list, you FIRST have to be violated 3 days in one week, THEN you can get on the list starting the next week.

The rest of the language is the same.

As for harrassment, again, weak language that will lead drivers to an almost year long battle going from deadlock committee to deadlock committee until the possibility of national arbitration. WHAT A JOKE.

None the less, despite this rather gloomy call, MARCH 31st should strike you all. If the TEAMSTERS walk away on that date, then we in for a BIG FIGHT come August 1st 2013.

PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE.

Peace Brothers and Sisters.

TOS
After reading this, I want you to ask yourself 2 questions.
1) UPS knows this proposal is totally unacceptable. Is UPS itching for a strike?
2) In your mind go down your seniority list. How many drivers on the list will stick it out no matter how long it takes in
the event of a strike.