Congratulations on pension increase

tae111

So I'm a retired Local 177 member who had 36 years full time. Not sure if the language in the master applies to us but if it does I now get $3700 per month. Minus the $50. per month for medical thats $3650. So in three years with the cost of medical I will be getting $3400 per month. Lets stick it to the guy who has no vote. I guess UPS isn't making enough. The Teamsters are saying this is a good deal because the increase is half of what the company had threatened in their letter earlier this year. I'm glad the company didn't send out a letter saying it would go up to $2000. per month. Way to spin the give back.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe new retirees will benefit..I am now paying $50 a month. Was told when I retired that would be the cost. From what I am reading it goes up for currently retired to $100, $200, then $300 per month with spouse, $150 for retiree alone in third yr. Would like to be locked in plan I was promised when I left, us retirees are hung out to dry once you retire and we have to count on future retirees to do the right thing for themselves and those who paved the way for them..:peaceful:

I agree with everything you stated and the gist of it.
Except for the promise part ... I know UPS and Teamsters well enough to know you were not promised this (implied is probably the best you can put forth) and most certainly not put in writing.
I worked for UPS and believe it is definitely a cut above most other companies and corporations but I know they did not promise me anything and I wouldn't believe them if they did.
Plus, I've read all the fine print. There are no guarantees but I believe UPS (and the Teamsters ) will do the best they can to fulfill the implied benefits.

ikoi62

i imagine it will be done on a Sunday morning just like the union meetings, where i think it will affect the least amount of people.and again it will be only FT people voting.

The Milkman

I agree with everything you stated and the gist of it.
Except for the promise part ... I know UPS and Teamsters well enough to know you were not promised this (implied is probably the best you can put forth) and most certainly not put in writing.
I worked for UPS and believe it is definitely a cut above most other companies and corporations but I know they did not promise me anything and I wouldn't believe them if they did.
Plus, I've read all the fine print. There are no guarantees but I believe UPS (and the Teamsters ) will do the best they can to fulfill the implied benefits.

So one has to assume that whatever you are told by Ups after a lengthy film presentation at the time and a question and answer period following about your choices for healthcare. Like any bait and switch done in stores, you have to read the fine print.. They tell you one thing then down the road they decide to make changes to suit themselves. So when I was first presented with my healthcare choices little did I know that it would turn out that I was misled at the time? Oh by the way Mr Milkman you are at our mercy once you retire..gee Thanks:dissapointed:

The Milkman

:not_fair:
So I'm a retired Local 177 member who had 36 years full time. Not sure if the language in the master applies to us but if it does I now get $3700 per month. Minus the $50. per month for medical thats $3650. So in three years with the cost of medical I will be getting $3400 per month. Lets stick it to the guy who has no vote. I guess UPS isn't making enough. The Teamsters are saying this is a good deal because the increase is half of what the company had threatened in their letter earlier this year. I'm glad the company didn't send out a letter saying it would go up to $2000. per month. Way to spin the give back.

I am in the same boat as you are Tae , and we are taking on water................The SS 177 is in distress

:goodpost:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Do any retires collect SS or have 401k or IRA income? My pension is one prong of a 3 prong retirement attack. Not sure a few hundred bucks either way will stop me from living large.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So one has to assume that whatever you are told by Ups after a lengthy film presentation at the time and a question and answer period following about your choices for healthcare. Like any bait and switch done in stores, you have to read the fine print.. They tell you one thing then down the road they decide to make changes to suit themselves. So when I was first presented with my healthcare choices little did I know that it would turn out that I was misled at the time? Oh by the way Mr Milkman you are at our mercy once you retire..gee Thanks:dissapointed:

I always assume if it is not in writing with no disclaimers in the fine print that it does not exist.
​I ask questions and if the answer is yes, I write it in ink and initial on the contract
​This really irritates some salespeople and they tell me I can't do that.
I explain to them, Yes I can. Written terms and conditions override the printed contract.
If they refuse to let me do that, I get up and leave since they are most likely lying.

It does not apply with pension and healthcare with UPS or the Teamsters since this is not contractual.

​Furthermore, there are limits in your paperwork and mine that says we have to pay if the cost to provide exceeds a specified amount. That's the real catch in regards to the current topic.

The Milkman

I always assume if it is not in writing with no disclaimers in the fine print that it does not exist.
​I ask questions and if the answer is yes, I write it in ink and initial on the contract
​This really irritates some salespeople and they tell me I can't do that.
I explain to them, Yes I can. Written terms and conditions override the printed contract.
If they refuse to let me do that, I get up and leave since they are most likely lying.

It does not apply with pension and healthcare with UPS or the Teamsters since this is not contractual.

​Furthermore, there are limits in your paperwork and mine that says we have to pay if the cost to provide exceeds a specified amount. That's the real catch in regards to the current topic.

So Much for taking peoples words these days...Years ago a mans word was worth something...Now we need everything in writing , etc, etc, It's a shame that our world today has gotten to this point where honesty is trumped by greed.. Hoax..if you gave someone your word.........would you go back on it? I don't think you would if you are a man of honor.. I believe there are still some companies out there that are honest with their Word.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So Much for taking peoples words these days...Years ago a mans word was worth something...Now we need everything in writing , etc, etc, It's a shame that our world today has gotten to this point where honesty is trumped by greed.. Hoax..if you gave someone your word.........would you go back on it? I don't think you would if you are a man of honor.. I believe there are still some companies out there that are honest with their Word.

I would and have stood up to "my word". I never deposit checks until I get full assurance from my customers that they are happy with the results. I had one customer who called me up 3 months after she gave me a check and asked me if I lost it.
​I told her I was waiting on her approval for the job.
I'm also very careful about giving my word and spend as much time informing customers what they will not get as I do telling what they will get.

I don't believe there is any corporation and few companies that stand up to their "word" anymore.
The "word" changes at a whim.
That's why all the consumer advocates warn that a guarantee is only as good as the company's word.
​That usually is not worth much.

The Milkman

I would and have stood up to "my word". I never deposit checks until I get full assurance from my customers that they are happy with the results. I had one customer who called me up 3 months after she gave me a check and asked me if I lost it.
​I told her I was waiting on her approval for the job.
I'm also very careful about giving my word and spend as much time informing customers what they will not get as I do telling what they will get.

I don't believe there is any corporation and few companies that stand up to their "word" anymore.
The "word" changes at a whim.
That's why all the consumer advocates warn that a guarantee is only as good as the company's word.
​That usually is not worth much.

:youreright:

GameCockFan

You're confused friend. At age 47 with 25 yrs, your payout will be $2000. At age 65 your IBT/UPS pension amount will be zero and CS (if they are not bankrupt) will pay the $2000.

I don't believe the contributory pension (+1801 hrs/yr) is figured in until you hit that magical 30 years. The pension payment for your 12 service credit years will forever revert back to CS when you turn 65.

I'm not confused in the least. I will have 25 full time years/5 part time years.

Monthly Benefit payable from 01/01/2019 to age 65 is $2,565
UPS/IBT Plan monthly benefit: $2,565
Central States monthly benefit:$0

Total monthly benefit $2,565

My benefit will not be ZERO from the IBT/UPS Plan after age 65

Monthly Benefit payable from age 65 and later is $2,565
UPS/IBT Plan monthly benefit: $782
Central States monthly benefit: $1,783

Total monthly benefit $2,565

I will also be eligible for the 30 and out, any age. at $3400 per month. My benefit will be 25/30 X 3400 ($2833) + 5/30 X my part-time pension(small so i'm not even going to include it).

I'll receive the higher of these two amounts. Per the SPD if Central States is unable to pay their amount UPS will make up the difference. I plan on working much longer than this as I enjoy my job, and it fairly easy money.

GameCockFan

Here is the Crap that I am spewing,,,I sent my papers to UPS for my retirement estimate two months ago,, with 26 years in, at age 50, I will get 2000.00 a month.. I have this in writing from the UPS retirement dept.. I even called them to clarify this. The lady I spoke with did confirm the figure..

Sounds about right. Why do you think your entitled to a large pension at age 50 with only 25 years in? Show me anyone at UPS who gets double that in another plan? $4000+ at 50 years/ with 25 years worked? Don't think you can.

GameCockFan

Not all drivers that live in the south are going to RETIRE in the south.. Just as the drivers who get close to double what we get, they too can move to a state where is is cheaper to live...I am NOT staying in SC when I retire, and FLA is much more expensive to reside in..I already have a home that is paid for there, but food, gas, groceries, water, home insurance and electric are much more than they are here in SC..

Well, congrats on having a second home paid for already. The rest is just not anyones problem but your own. The pension was changed for the better in 2008. This contract increases the pension $400/month by the end of the contract. $4800/year or 120K during a normal retirement for a total value of $1,020,000. While I agree our retirement was sub-par in the past, compared to other parts of the country, it's being improved upon.

You seem like just a bitter guy. You have problems with the pension. Problems with the health care. Problems with everything.

Vote No on the contract. Retire when your ready. But please, lighten up and try to enjoy yourself.

Omega man

Hey Milkman.....stop crying over spilled milk.

Remember your motto?
It's not what time you punch out, it's what time you get done. :funny: he he

The Milkman

Hey Milkman.....stop crying over spilled milk.

Remember your motto?
It's not what time you punch out, it's what time you get done. :funny: he he

You are so right...Obviously you know how I got that nickname.............That was indeed my Motto...Having fun with the Green sheets and clicks...The Good old Days for sure...Milkin it to the Max!!!!!:choir:

Xexys

Retired and Happy
They do benefit, it it only goes up from $50 a month to $100 and if you retire before Jan 1st you get locked into that and stay in the Cadillac plan.
Us retirees (us meaning already retired) from Local 177 are locked in to our benefits also don't forget. I pay $50 a month for MY FAMILY at the moment. So essentially my healthcare will be tripled and that's just the first year. Someone asked on these boards which local hall came from. You're looking at it. He should take care of whence he came.