Contract raises? don't be brainwashed!

kumet

buck an hour? ups want to raise retiree insurance to go from 50 bucks a month to 750 bucks. you need 4.70 an hour after taxes just to pay for your insurance every month. good luck.

beentheredonethat

Automatic double time after 9.5 is what I want

Too many drivers live off of & want that OT. Even ones that say they don't.

triple time...lol

I agree with Bagels, there are many drivers who want the OT.
Let's assume the teamsters do negotiate automatic double pay for over 9.5 hrs.

Now let's assume for a minute a driver wants OT (lots of it). he had been a 10 hr pd day in the past and he has the same route. UPS pulls a dozen or so stops off him to reduce his day by .8 hrs (or 9.2 hr pd day). But the driver still comes in at 10 hrs.
(again I know anyone day on avg things can affect the pd day, I'm talking about an avg). At what point can UPS say hey, you are stealing time?

I don't think it's realistic for any company to sign a contract agreeing to double pay (or triple) if they can't remedy situations where drivers stay out longer just for the extra pay.

Steward773

Maybe if you demand less, you'll get a little more. I personally would sacrifice a bit of a raise for more reasonable expectations of myself. 10 hour days and more money and a tired self or 8.5 hour days, a little less money and more time for me and my family? I'd take option two if given to me.

Cement - sounds like you should look into bidding a 22.3 inside job. I get about 15 - 30 mins, overtime a day if I want it. The hourly rate isn't as much but man do I have much more energy on Friday night! Plus, I get to do things around the house during the week that I had to do on the weekend when I was in pkg car.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Bring to a financial adviser what UPS contributed for your pension over the last 35 years (for those of you about to retire with 35 years). Then tell them what you will be receiving as a pension amount. They will tell you that you are being screwed. (Not by UPS, but by the pension fund itself aka the teamsters). Why would you want UPS to give more money to the pension when it was already wasted by the teamsters? Again... don't trust me.. Do the math and bring it to a financial expert.

That's because not only does ups pay for our pension but being a multi employer pension they pay for plenty of other people's also.

stink219

Why do people talk in terms of either or? Less hours and a small raise? That's crazy!! That 2 negatives in my book. Remember, a raise is constant. Take as much cash as you can. I spit on the 2 tier wage suggestion. Why do you ask? So I show up to work and get suffocated from any overtime while new guy works 11 hours a day. I want a big raise and more hours!! Even you guys that want less hours should be asking for big raises. I'd also love a new article that allows stewards to use violence to remove warning letters. Lmao! (That's a joke btw, for the drab people that take this site way too seriously.)

Buck Fifty

Why do people talk in terms of either or? Less hours and a small raise? That's crazy!! That 2 negatives in my book. Remember, a raise is constant. Take as much cash as you can. I spit on the 2 tier wage suggestion. Why do you ask? So I show up to work and get suffocated from any overtime while new guy works 11 hours a day. I want a big raise and more hours!! Even you guys that want less hours should be asking for big raises. I'd also love a new article that allows stewards to use violence to remove warning letters. Lmao! (That's a joke btw, for the drab people that take this site way too seriously.)

Yeah and two of them are already in this thread.

Brownslave688

That's because not only does ups pay for our pension but being a multi employer pension they pay for plenty of other people's also.

Every employer that participates in our fund pays in also. Coke, Pepsi, Aramak etc. More people paying in helps me. It works both ways.

I'm not well versed in who all pays into our plan and who gets paid out of our plan but like beentheredonethat said tell your financial advisor how much ups has put towards your pension then show them how much you'll get when u retire. They will say your getting ripped off. So the money is going one of a few places. The union is big wigs are lining their pockets with it. There are bankrupt companies draining the fund or some of these other companies are putting in much less than ups per employee but getting the same benefits.

I would much rather have my pension money go to a 401k match. That's just my personal opinion I know.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm not well versed in who all pays into our plan and who gets paid out of our plan but like beentheredonethat said tell your financial advisor how much ups has put towards your pension then show them how much you'll get when u retire. They will say your getting ripped off. So the money is going one of a few places. The union is big wigs are lining their pockets with it. There are bankrupt companies draining the fund or some of these other companies are putting in much less than ups per employee but getting the same benefits.

I would much rather have my pension money go to a 401k match. That's just my personal opinion I know.

Other companies that put in less don't get the same pension we do. Pension payouts are determined by employer contribution rates. I don't disagree that over the long hall we might do better investing the money ourselves. Good luck getting a company to give you several hundred a week in a 401k match.

Brownslave688

Other companies that put in less don't get the same pension we do. Pension payouts are determined by employer contribution rates. I don't disagree that over the long hall we might do better investing the money ourselves. Good luck getting a company to give you several hundred a week in a 401k match.

I know if I were ups I would much rather do a company match. The union would never go for it I'm sure. It has to be so frustrating for ups to look at all the money they pump into the pensions and then constantly see that these pensions are in the red and wanting more and more money.

beentheredonethat

I agree with you. Ironically, when i said that a while ago, I was told that wasn't true and there are different pension amounts based on what your company contributed. Why do you want money UPS negotiates with the teamsters to go to folks who don't work at UPS? Shouldn't it go to you guys? Be it in direct pay, better pensions just for UPS retirees etc?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I agree with you. Ironically, when i said that a while ago, I was told that wasn't true and there are different pension amounts based on what your company contributed. Why do you want money UPS negotiates with the teamsters to go to folks who don't work at UPS? Shouldn't it go to you guys? Be it in direct pay, better pensions just for UPS retirees etc?

Thats why its called The Brotherhood of Teamsters.

beentheredonethat

Also, why do different UPS teamsters in different areas of the country get different pension amounts when the monies UPS pays is virtually the same (if not the same)?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I know the Western Teamsters use the West Coast Pension Fund. It's in pretty good shape. I don't think we went crazy with the housing stocks like some other pensions did.

beentheredonethat

The New England pension fund was recently taken over by UPS. I hope they do the same for the Upstate NY Pension Plan.
I know, it was taken over since the plan was deeply in the red. Why didn't the brotherhood of the teamsters help each other out? Similar to 97, UPS wanted to do this, since they knew the way the laws out, a multi employer pension plan penalizes the healthy companies like UPS which are some of hte last companies standing. We wanted way back then to protect only the UPS teamsters and not the teamsters of hte other companies. To be 100% honest, they also were largely concerned with limiting their exposure to pension funds that were being mismanaged. (Note: "mismanaged" is a very nice term for how these funds were administered, others would call it criminal.)

Coldworld

60 months and counting

If UPS had one pension for the entire country which they ran they would make absolutely sure that nobody would be able to retire to collect on, either by upping the years of service or trying to fire you before you could get halfway to retirement....i dont doubt that for a second.