Contract raises vs. state minimum wage

Duckwithapipboy

Hired on June 20th and just hit my year, so I am making $10.70 right now. Oregon minimum wage goes up to $11.25 on July 1st at the start of the fiscal year, so effectively I only get that raise for 11 days and then I'm back to Oregon's bottom wage. With the current contract I get $0.50, $0.50, then $1.00 raises every three years on my seniority date, after CoL increases in Feb.

Looking into the future, Oregon's M.W. will be $12.00 in 2018 and $12.50 in 2019. So I likely won't be above M.W. until after my 3rd year.
Minimum Wage Rate Summary

I'm contacting my local on Monday, but am I just boned for getting hired at the wrong time? I'll be making less than other hourlies I have more seniority over.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Hired on June 20th and just hit my year, so I am making $10.70 right now. Oregon minimum wage goes up to $11.25 on July 1st at the start of the fiscal year, so effectively I only get that raise for 11 days and then I'm back to Oregon's bottom wage. With the current contract I get $0.50, $0.50, then $1.00 raises every three years on my seniority date, after CoL increases in Feb.

Looking into the future, Oregon's M.W. will be $12.00 in 2018 and $12.50 in 2019. So I likely won't be above M.W. until after my 3rd year.
Minimum Wage Rate Summary

I'm contacting my local on Monday, but am I just boned for getting hired at the wrong time? I'll be making less than other hourlies I have more seniority over.
How will you be making less than people hired after you?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
How would you be getting paid less? Every one gets paid according to the contract or your states minimum wage. A new hire would take even longer to reach a higher wage then the minimum

Gimme Danger

My understanding is that part time new hires are based on pay rates, not raises, in first 4 years. So if any of those rates are below minimum wage, you get minimum wage. No one can make below minimum wage.
Keep in mind the contract is up next year, so that is an issue that needs addressing for 2018.

TheFigurehead

If UPS weren't blinded by their own stupidity and the Teamsters had any balls whatsoever, they would make pt starting pay reasonable. They would avoid problems with minimum wage rising, and they might be able to keep more than 5% of new hires longer than a week or two. The amount of money they waste on training thousands of new hires a year for a week at a time, only to have them quit immediately when they realize that the job isn't worth the money would be better spent paying less new hires more money to stick around longer than a week.

PT Car Washer

If UPS weren't blinded by their own stupidity and the Teamsters had any balls whatsoever, they would make pt starting pay reasonable. They would avoid problems with minimum wage rising, and they might be able to keep more than 5% of new hires longer than a week or two. The amount of money they waste on training thousands of new hires a year for a week at a time, only to have them quit immediately when they realize that the job isn't worth the money would be better spent paying less new hires more money to stick around longer than a week.
But then how could the Teamsters collect $900 initiation fee on every new hire that walks through the door. Some of these guys work 6 months free just to pay their dues and fees. For a minimum wage job with no benefits.

Man something isn't right.. I did three years of seasonal and got hired at 11.50 three months ago (Oregon non-metro). I know that doesn't help you any but being vocal about your experience to the right people helps. When I got hired HR told me 9.75 (Oregon min), and I told her my relevant experience is working the belt and loading cars.. although driver helpers "aren't supposed to".. we got "asked" to do it anyway. I'm up for a raise again with my 90 days coming to pass. Talk to your steward.. for real.. there shouldn't be a guy with a couple peaks under his belt making more than you. I don't even have seniority yet.

If you're in Tualatin or Swan Lake good luck stretching a penny out of them. I've heard people there transfer out at 6 months for better pay and a longer commute which is why they're literally always hiring including the rapid turnover.

Last I checked folding clothes at the mall didn't have a top rate or a Benifits package.
You pay so little as an employer but offer great healthcare, then to found out why no one wants to stay... The problem is the company has it all wrong. This isn't a Walmart or office job... Ups is a very demanding company to work for... The part time work force is geared to a large number of younger employees... Most don't have family's, so healthcare sounds like a good idea for family man or women but for a young guy or girl that needs just the money it's not enough...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Man something isn't right.. I did three years of seasonal and got hired at 11.50 three months ago (Oregon non-metro). I know that doesn't help you any but being vocal about your experience to the right people helps. When I got hired HR told me 9.75 (Oregon min), and I told her my relevant experience is working the belt and loading cars.. although driver helpers "aren't supposed to".. we got "asked" to do it anyway. I'm up for a raise again with my 90 days coming to pass. Talk to your steward.. for real.. there shouldn't be a guy with a couple peaks under his belt making more than you. I don't even have seniority yet.

If you're in Tualatin or Swan Lake good luck stretching a penny out of them. I've heard people there transfer out at 6 months for better pay and a longer commute which is why they're literally always hiring including the rapid turnover.

So, Your saying different buildings in the same state pay different hourly wages for the same job?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
So, Your saying different buildings in the same state pay different hourly wages for the same job?
The guy is posting wrong information. The minimum you get paid nationwide as a preloader is 11$ an hour.
Also oregon has different minimum wages depending on where you live in the state. Ie portland.

Mst3k

I make 19 an hour, min wage is 15. A candy bar costs 2.50, rent for a one bedroom is 1500. welcome to the living wage we keep hearing about.