Contract raises vs. state minimum wage

km3

I believe we have preloaders making 9.50 an hour. I heard one guy talking to his friend how they couldn't even pay ten an hour for this work. Starting pay for Oregon non metro is 9.75 tho. I think preloader starts at 10 and freight at 11.50 now. It really should be the other way around for how much more work 3-9am does than 4-10pm.

Where I live there should be illegals out front ready to work. Seven people down in preload today. You get what you pay for. Give them a little more and you won't have to pay drivers more to come in and do it on overtime pay. Three drivers today. Ridiculous.

Minimum wage for federal contractors (which UPS is) is $10.20 right now. If you have preloaders making less than that, then either those preloaders are lying, they're working off the books, or UPS is due for a spanking by the feds.

542thruNthru

I believe we have preloaders making 9.50 an hour. I heard one guy talking to his friend how they couldn't even pay ten an hour for this work. Starting pay for Oregon non metro is 9.75 tho. I think preloader starts at 10 and freight at 11.50 now. It really should be the other way around for how much more work 3-9am does than 4-10pm.

Where I live there should be illegals out front ready to work. Seven people down in preload today. You get what you pay for. Give them a little more and you won't have to pay drivers more to come in and do it on overtime pay. Three drivers today. Ridiculous.

Where I am the night shift guys handle more packages a day then the morning shift. Most guys load 2.5k a night each. Most our morning guys usually load 1k or 1.2k.

Not saying it's harder or easier.

I told the guys what I made, one looked visibly upset and the others said :censored2: we don't make ten. This was just 2 or 3 weeks ago. I don't think it's my responsibility to broach the subject with them or management. As an observation, not a prejudice, I'd say citizenship status is questionable from what little Spanish I know and what I can even hear in there.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I make 19 an hour, min wage is 15. A candy bar costs 2.50, rent for a one bedroom is 1500. welcome to the living wage we keep hearing about.

OK.

Let's raise the minimum wage to $30/hr.

That candy bar will now cost $5 and that one bedroom apartment will be $3000.

People don't get it Raising the minimum wage raises the price of everything.

And it is not the government's job to give you a "living wage."

It is up to you to find a better job or to deal with what you have.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
OK.

Unfortunately, the government already thinks it must take care of everyone.
Might as well move to Denmark and be happy.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
OK.

Except that's not true...
Labor is only one of many costs.
And no one is talking about a $30 minimum wage.

PT Car Washer

OK.

So if package delivery drivers took a $10/hr cut in pay everything would be cheaper and they could afford more? Makes sense.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Except that's not true...
Labor is only one of many costs.
And no one is talking about a $30 minimum wage.

It's the biggest cost.

Pay the lettuce pickers more, the price of lettuce increases.

Pay the McDonald's worker more, the price of a Big Mac goes up even higher than it went up because the price of produce went up.

And no, we're not talking $30/hr, but if the minimum wage goes from $12 to $15, the extra money the minimum wage earner gets goes to buying the now higher cost of products.

The companies can either eat the extra cost of labor or pass in on to the consumer.

What do you think they have historically always done?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So if package delivery drivers took a $10/hr cut in pay everything would be cheaper and they could afford more? Makes sense.

UPS would just have more money.

We are talking about raising the minimum wage raising the price of products.

Package drivers taking a pay cut has no effect on the minimum wage and the price of goods and products.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
UPS raises their rates because their customers are used to them doing it each and every year.

Funny....

But if UPS did not raise their rates and gave us our raises and increases in H&W and pension, they would not make their $4B.

Eat the increased cost of labor or pass it on to the consumer, a concept that @DriveInDriveOut does not seem to comprehend.

The same goes for any increase in the minimum wage.

Companies must eat the increased cost of labor or pass it on to the consumer.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Lots of reasons. You seem to be suggesting it's all because we got a raise. Maybe you've been talking to management too much.

You are correct. Lots of reasons.

While labor is the biggest reason, the whole point is that UPS raises their rates because their cost of doing business has increased.

Planes cost more, package cars cost more, uniforms cost more. Labor costs more.

But why do all these things cost more today than they did 20 years ago when minimum wage was like $3/hr.

Oh, wait. That's right. Minimum wage is almost 4 times higher today than it was back then.

Labor, the main reason goods and services cost more today than they used to.