Cost of Living Adjustments

Ive been working in the s.friend. bay area for 6 years as a P/T Supervisor and will be transfering for educational purposes to Phoenix in 2008. There's a significant cost of living difference between the bay area and phoenix, so Im concerned about a decline in salary. My hr rep has informed me that salary adjustments are made based on cost of living but Im hearing differently from other reliable management sources. P/T Supervisors that I have worked with have not had their salaries adjusted when transfering to districts with a lower cost of living. Has anyone here that works in management experienced a transfer to an area with a lower cost of living and no decrease in salary?

Channahon

Ive been working in the s.friend. bay area for 6 years as a P/T Supervisor and will be transfering for educational purposes to Phoenix in 2008. There's a significant cost of living difference between the bay area and phoenix, so Im concerned about a decline in salary. My hr rep has informed me that salary adjustments are made based on cost of living but Im hearing differently from other reliable management sources. P/T Supervisors that I have worked with have not had their salaries adjusted when transfering to districts with a lower cost of living. Has anyone here that works in management experienced a transfer to an area with a lower cost of living and no decrease in salary?
Is there any paperwork involved with a transfer request? If so, that may have the answer you need.

I found a document stating the requirements to become elgible for an educational transfer. In this document it says that:
· Employee is responsible for costs of move (wages may be adjusted to reflect cost of living in the new location) .

Yet I have worked with supervisors that transfered to a lower cost of living district and didnt experience an adjustment in salary. I know that it is stated in writing by UPS but it hasnt been consistently applied. This is why I am looking for other supervisors in the country that have not had cost of living adjustments even though UPS states that they may make salary adjustments.

Channahon

I found a document stating the requirements to become elgible for an educational transfer. In this document it says that:
· Employee is responsible for costs of move (wages may be adjusted to reflect cost of living in the new location) .

Yet I have worked with supervisors that transfered to a lower cost of living district and didnt experience an adjustment in salary. I know that it is stated in writing by UPS but it hasnt been consistently applied. This is why I am looking for other supervisors in the country that have not had cost of living adjustments even though UPS states that they may make salary adjustments.

UPS may allow you to keep your current salary, but if it is higher than the pay structure in that district for p/t sups, you may not get an increase for a while, until your pay catches up with the high end of the new districts pay structure.
If I were you, I would ask HR to confirm all information, before you make the move.