Could UPS deliver the mail?

klein

Für Meno :)
klien.....how many stops do you think a USPS mail carrier does if he never has to leave the truck?

Not sure, but give it 10 homes in a block (one sided way)... thats 60 blocks per hr. Don't think he makes that many. (plus he gets paid breaks).

Not sure where you live. Most people do still have mailboxes at thier front door.

drewed

Shankman
Not sure, but give it 10 homes in a block (one sided way)... thats 60 blocks per hr. Don't think he makes that many. (plus he gets paid breaks).

Not sure where you live. Most people do still have mailboxes at thier front door.
no one here has a mailbox at their front door....
but you have to include a bulk stop (apt building, business suites, malls) whered theyd unload a bunch of mail....and your only taking in account one house is getting only one letter, catalogs/packets/mutiple letters all have increased revenue

klein

no one here has a mailbox at their front door....
but you have to include a bulk stop (apt building, business suites, malls) whered theyd unload a bunch of mail....and your only taking in account one house is getting only one letter, catalogs/packets/mutiple letters all have increased revenue
And other houses get none, like mine.... maybe mail 2 or 3 times a week.... but they need to walk by it anyways.

All this is hypothetical anyway, so here is my take on the imaginable. If...IF UPS was to take over the delivery of mail, they sure would not merge it with the parcel routes we now have, although they might divert some of our less profitable small package deliveries to the mail division. There would be a total overhaul of mail delivery. You would see independent contractors bidding on delivery routes. The only hourly jobs would be in building pre-sorters and front desk clerks. The final sorts would even be done by the contract delivery people. The USPS already uses contractors on country routes and are trying to do the same for the city rtes where the carrier parks at an intersection to walk off the houses of four blocks. The contractors not only don't get paid by the hour, they have to provide their own benifits. I don't know of any contractors that have mulitiple rotes as fedex ground does, but don't know for fact they don't exist.

Klein, in the USA we have some complete towns that have no home deliveries, everone has a box at the PO. There are neighborhoods that have a single box on the corner (like the ones at apartment complexes) that each house on the block has their mail delivered to, many areas have boxes by the curb, many have boxes at the house.

klein

The fact remains, that some on here think they can do it for 10cents.
In that case, UPS can deliver newspapers, because paperboys make more then 10cents a paper.

geek.empire

Blue Pill or Red Pill
We already transport quite a bit of first class mail and priority mail, why would we want to deliver it. From what I understood it was the delivery that was our major cost factor. Let them drop it off at the gate say in EWR, we fly it through WorldPort, sort it for extra profit, stick back on a plane and give it back to them, at say LAX.

And as far as time constraints on FCM we are held to very tight and strictly enforced time in transit for all USPS volume.

Dustyroads

UPS really has very little interest in delivering to residences. In the parcel delivery business, they lose money every day on residential deliveries, not to mention the very rural extended areas. A few years ago, we instituted surcharges on residential deliveries to try to offset our losses to those addresses. Our newest approach to reducing our residential deliveries has been the expansion of the basic service. Never, ever before have we seen so many packages being delivered by ups to Post Offices.

If Federal laws were changed to allow UPS to handle first class mail, I imagine you would see UPS cherry-picking the mail delivery, going out and getting the profitable accounts. Unlike the Post Office, that has a legal responsibility to go to every mailbox, every day, UPS would have no such constraint. A more accurate comparison, if one were really wanting to analyze the potential for UPS "delivering the mail", would be, would UPS like to go to every mailbox in the nation, every day? That is what the Post Office is obligated to do, and so if we were to compare our ability to do the same for ten cents or fifty cents, we need to be sure that our comparative analysis is accurate.

rod

Retired 22 years
The question isn't "could UPS deliver the mail"? The question should be "why on Gods green Earth would UPS want to"? Do you realize how much planning it would take to change an easy process like dropping a letter in a mail box to bring it up to UPS's complicated, multi layered, no one has the authority to do anything about anything process that is the show now.:wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
there is a lot of guessing and supposing mentioned here.

the fact of the matter is that when the study was done, the same coast to coast delivery to every address was stipulated for the number crunchers to work with. and they came up with 10 cents, and we would still make a 3 cent profit on the letter segment.

now, for all those that want to throw rural deliveries into the mix, if we are no longer restricted from leaving a box in the mail box, but instead now are instructed to, how much time does that save.

and that goes for all deliveries that have boxes next to the road.

for those of you still wet behind the ears, and that dont remember, ups did have a flat rate letter, both overnight and two day. you could put as much in that letter as you could, and still get it to seal for one flat rate.

d

ups79

UPS really has very little interest in delivering to residences. In the parcel delivery business, they lose money every day on residential deliveries, not to mention the very rural extended areas. A few years ago, we instituted surcharges on residential deliveries to try to offset our losses to those addresses. Our newest approach to reducing our residential deliveries has been the expansion of the basic service. Never, ever before have we seen so many packages being delivered by ups to Post Offices.

If Federal laws were changed to allow UPS to handle first class mail, I imagine you would see UPS cherry-picking the mail delivery, going out and getting the profitable accounts. Unlike the Post Office, that has a legal responsibility to go to every mailbox, every day, UPS would have no such constraint. A more accurate comparison, if one were really wanting to analyze the potential for UPS "delivering the mail", would be, would UPS like to go to every mailbox in the nation, every day? That is what the Post Office is obligated to do, and so if we were to compare our ability to do the same for ten cents or fifty cents, we need to be sure that our comparative analysis is accurate.

Remember remote delivery?

Dustyroads

Wow, 79, I should have added that to the Old Time UPS thread! Yeah, I sure do remember Remote Delivery Initiative. It reminds me of a punch line to a joke that I can't put into print here, "Know it, heck, I wrote it."

Here's a story about rural deferral, as it was called. In our building, when the thing was about to begin, they invited about 10 of us down to a hotel for breakfast to explain the deal. We all had some or all of our area in rural areas. There were about 3 or 4 of us, including myself, that our entire area qualified for the rural exemption. There were a few drivers who didn't trust the system and didn't want to participate, and who, ultimately, did not defer a single package. I joined up with the program; I'd been deferring a few packages for a lot of years, by the time UPS had joined the program, so I thought it was a good thing.

However, with the drivers who weren't participating in the program, our center wasn't looking very good on paper, in the rural deferral department. The center manager called me into the office, saying he was getting beat up every morning on this rural delivery thing, and was there anything I could do to bring his numbers up. He said he couldn't make the drivers join in the program, but if I would give him 15 deferrals a day, he would completely ignor any days that I showed up underdispatched, and he wouldn't increase my dispatch. So, that's just what I did, and for the next couple years, I never worked any overtime until christmas. It worked great, drivers know what they are delivering, and if you used some common sense, and you kept service in mind (parts for a broken down tractor are more critical than a shirt from jc penneys), one's customers never even knew the packages had been deferred. Where the problem began in our building, was that the dispatch team began to use it to deal with heavy loads. They would simply defer an entire town, without ever putting it on the driver's truck. They missed the point that they needed those packages in the car, even if they weren't going to be delivered, because the driver would leave a lot of them in town, and he would know which ones needed to be there. The reason that the dispatcher didn't want to do this was that the driver would then be over his "max" dispatch target. So, there were complaints, service suffered, and the program ended, being replaced with a rural surcharge.

There were about three of us that reallly participated, and between the three areas we saved about 200 miles a day in the center. Remember the yellow sticky note dots that we'd put on the package when it was deferred?

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
dusty

you bring up a point that is so very valid when discussing other ups directives/initiatives/mandates from above.

the key to making it work as planned was the inclusion of the driver workforce in the decision making process.

as far back as i can remember, driver input when it came to changes was critical in the plan working, or being implemented without too much pain.

but it seems like the more this trend shows up to be true, the more they are bound and determined to negate the drivers input in as many areas as possible. after all, all the planning can be done behind the keyboard using mapquest .......

d