Could you ever see unions making a large comeback and expanding membership?

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
I pay union dues out of principle. But I'm on year 18 without a write-up. I come to work. I do a half-butted job. And that's plenty. For a part-timer who shows up and does a little bit, there is just no reason at all to join.

Being a union member helps when I really need to press the issue on sups working or something. But for a new guy? I don't even know what he'd get out of it.

It’s especially needed for the new guys. I see happen all the time. They let management play them.

wilberforce15

Boomer drivers really need to recognize that they have negotiated for less than market wages for PTers. That's why their load quality is going to suck forever, and turnover will be infinite.

But that keeps the pension funded.

Trailer monkey

I've never seen a part timer who showed up reasonably often have a discipline or firing problem. Could just be my area.

There are reasons for family men or small business owner types to stay long term. But here, I only join and pay dues out of principle because I support unions, and I file a lot on Sups working. Not really any reason here for people to join. So they don't.

I've been here 20 years. I'm only here because I have a large family, so the benefits matter.

For most people, they can equal what UPS offers with less work elsewhere.
Starting pay, that's all

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
There is also no point in joining for a long term part timer. Maybe for some there is still a point in staying at the company. But union dues don't buy anything.

If you show up to work, your job will never need protection. It's not like driving.

Seniority is enforced, but it doesn't get you anything meaningful.
You continuously prove to be one stupid mother :censored2:er daily. I appreciate the comedy of your contributions to this website. Pure comedy.

Karma...

if you do your job you dont need a union...simple as that....management only goes after the screw-ups....the solid people get the benefits. and are left alone.......and thats good management.

MyTripisCut

How would you sell someone on a PT job at UPS?

Lower pay? Benefits they don't need? A pension they'll never get? What's the angle?
Why won’t they get their pension? Want an answer.
Why don’t they need benefits? You might not, I consistently love our health and welfare benefits. Pretty amazing still.
Most place in the country have approved Market Rate Adjustments and are starting almost all positions at $21 and hour or more, for a PART TIME job. Want more money? Go full time.
What’s your angle Beside mis information?

MyTripisCut

if you do your job you dont need a union...simple as that....management only goes after the screw-ups....the solid people get the benefits. and are left alone.......and thats good management.
UPS would not pay what they do without a union to negotiate it. And our negotiated wage makes everyone else’s go up to compete. Don’t be obtuse.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Boomer drivers really need to recognize that they have negotiated for less than market wages for PTers. That's why their load quality is going to suck forever, and turnover will be infinite.

But that keeps the pension funded.

Part timers do not contribute to the full timers’ pension fund except in the West. They have their own that is controlled by the company and it takes 5 years to become vested in order to collect.

wilberforce15

Why won’t they get their pension? Want an answer.
Why don’t they need benefits? You might not, I consistently love our health and welfare benefits. Pretty amazing still.
Most place in the country have approved Market Rate Adjustments and are starting almost all positions at $21 and hour or more, for a PART TIME job. Want more money? Go full time.
What’s your angle Beside mis information?
Most places do not have MRA.

I don't need more money. I can't take the pay cut of going full time. My PT benefits are worth more than my pay, even after 20 years. I have a large family.
A 20 year old has no reason to care about benefits. He also would be a fool to count on a check in 40 years.

Most places do not have MRA.

I don't need more money. I can't take the pay cut of going full time. My PT benefits are worth more than my pay, even after 20 years. I have a large family.
A 20 year old has no reason to care about benefits. He also would be a fool to count on a check in 40 years.
That's easy to say when you're young