COURT TO RECONSIDER WHETHER UPS CAN BAR DEAF DRIVERS FROM LIGHTWEIGHT VANS

ROBO MOD

I'm a Robot
Staff member
COURT TO RECONSIDER WHETHER UPS CAN BAR DEAF DRIVERS FROM LIGHTWEIGHT VANS - CBS 5

A federal appeals court in San Francisco announced today it will reconsider whether United Parcel Service Inc. can automatically bar deaf drivers from driving lightweight delivery trucks.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Re: Discuss: COURT TO RECONSIDER WHETHER UPS CAN BAR DEAF DRIVERS FROM LIGHTWEIGHT VA

I've been curious about this for a while. We have a deaf carwasher at our bldg. He's allowed to drive the car around the yard and through the wash tunnel. He's also allowed to park them a 1/2 inch apart on the lineup. He also drives himself to work everyday.

Obviously, there's safety questions. If it could be proven that said driver was capable of safely performing, why not let him/her have the job?

Sammie

Re: Discuss: COURT TO RECONSIDER WHETHER UPS CAN BAR DEAF DRIVERS FROM LIGHTWEIGHT VA

My cousin, deaf since birth, has been delivering mail for the USPS for 20+ years. His vehicle is of course much smaller than a package car....

cental34

Ridiculous. There is no logical reason to bar deaf drivers automatically from driving. If proven their deafness is not an issue, why not let them drive? In many cases, deaf drivers are more aware then hearing drivers.

This is an ADA suit just waiting to explode.

hoser

Industrial Slob

Ridiculous. There is no logical reason to bar deaf drivers automatically from driving. If proven their deafness is not an issue, why not let them drive? In many cases, deaf drivers are more aware then hearing drivers.

This is an ADA suit just waiting to explode.
the ADA suit already exploded, UPS is appealing.

local804

They should be allowed, no question in my mind.

Cole

I guess they're thinking it would be a huge liability, but if the person can demonstrate they can do the job, then why shouldn't they be allowed?

hoser

Industrial Slob

b
I guess they're thinking it would be a huge liability, but if the person can demonstrate they can do the job, then why shouldn't they be allowed?
because of the liability that you just explained.

insurance insurance insurance.