Cover driver 7 day Adventist?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I'm torn. On one hand, it's his religion and he wants to follow the guidelines. But on the other hand it's unfair to other drivers who also would like to be in before sunset on Fridays.

I'd request lighter work on Holy Days of Obligation to see what they'd say about it. I mean, you have to accommodate people's religious beliefs, no?

rod

Retired 22 years
Does this mean I can sue for all those years I couldn't get off at noon for Good Friday services? Does UPS have to pay for Catholics to drive 20 miles out of their way to get a friggin fish sandwich at MacDonalds every Friday? This country is getting sicker every day.

rod

Retired 22 years
I see a lot of religious converts.... in the near future.

"Todd Sturgill, age 41 and a resident of Springdale, Arkansas, was a 19-year driver for United Parcel Service when he joined the Seventh-day Adventist Church in May of 2004. In July of that year, Sturgill asked his employer for accommodation on Friday evenings during the upcoming holiday delivery season."

http://news.adventist.org/en/all-ne...deral-court-rules-for-sabbath-keeping-worker/

-Bug-

looking at him I would have guessed he was a feeder driver.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm torn. On one hand, it's his religion and he wants to follow the guidelines. But on the other hand it's unfair to other drivers who also would like to be in before sunset on Fridays.

I'd request lighter work on Holy Days of Obligation to see what they'd say about it. I mean, you have to accommodate people's religious beliefs, no?
He wasn't a Seventh Day Adventist when he applied for his UPS job, and it was made clear to him when he accepted the job that working overtime (especially during peak season) was a condition of his employment. His choice to subsequently convert to a religion that prohibits working after sundown on Fridays should be his issue to deal with, not UPS's.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

He wasn't a Seventh Day Adventist when he applied for his UPS job, and it was made clear to him when he accepted the job that working overtime (especially during peak season) was a condition of his employment. His choice to subsequently convert to a religion that prohibits working after sundown on Fridays should be his issue to deal with, not UPS's.
OP never said that, unless I missed something.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
OP never said that, unless I missed something.
It said in the article that he posted a link to that the man converted to Seventh Day Adventist after being employed at UPS for 19 years.

Now if he had already been a SDA and had made it clear prior to being hired that he couldn't work on the Sabbath and the company had agreed to that stipulation, he might have a point. But that isn't what happened, so the burden of living up to his personal religious obligations should be on him and not the company.

wayfair

swollen member
In the summer I freeze a wet towel on a big zip lock bag and wear it on my hear and around my neck to cool down in the hot summer months.

I keep 2 in my ice chest.

I bought a couple of those sports towels made by Frogg toggs. Waste of money unless you live in a drier climate.,

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I'm amazed at the sudden "Pro-UPS" comments by one individual on here. I think it's more like "I want what he has regardless of what it is..."..wwwwwaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
His request exceeds De Minimis costs and creates undue hardship on the employer, because they would have to hire an additional worker or pay overtime to fill in for him. When they change their mind about him getting Friday nights off there's nothing he can do about it, other than take a different position with the company.