Cover driver 7 day Adventist?

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
They all do that. Religion teaches people to think anyone who's not part of their group is bad.

I attend a non denominational church and we don't think everyone else is bad.

Wrong and misguided but not bad. In fact, those are the people we want in church with us. A church is a hospital for the broken, not a museum for the perfect.

Overpaid Union Thug

All religions started as cults, and they all have the potential to be oppressive depending on who is in charge at any given time.

Today a cult is more or less a derogatory term for sects that have strayed away from the "mainstream" portions of their denominations and practice strict shunning of those that decent. It's breaks up families and marriages and even results in many ex members needing therapy. I know more about the Jehovah's Witnesses than any others. They are the perfect example of a cult and the sad part is that they do a damn good job of hiding it from the general public and an even better job of hiding it from their members.
They all do that. Religion teaches people to think anyone who's not part of their group is bad.

I don't believe that is true for all. I was never taught that. Jehovah's Witnesses tend to show that trait for sure.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
On my last delivery route there was a Jehovah's Witness who used to preach at me a bit (especially when he found out I'm an atheist) an occasionally give me copies of The Watch Tower. Other than that he was a pretty nice guy though. He didn't come off to me as different from any other over zealous xtian out witnessing and spreading the word.

rod

Retired 22 years
YHaving attended quite a few Catholic services because the wife and in-laws are all Catholics I will go on record as saying the Catholic religion is "weird" to us outsiders. Its nice though that 6 days a week you can be the biggest A-hole/crook/drunk in town but if you go to church on Sunday you can be forgiven for everything and start out Monday with a clean slate. When I get roped into attending some special occasion at church with my wife I always give her a hard time about what a great exercise program the Catholic church has. You're constantly being asked to stand then be seated then stand then be seated--over and over again.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Its nice though that 6 days a week you can be the biggest A-hole/crook/drunk in town but if you go to church on Sunday you can be forgiven for everything and start out Monday with a clean slate.
Having grown up a Southern Baptist, the same could be said of them.

Loyal Teamster

One of out preloaders is a 7 day Adventist and they are sending him to intergrad. He told them he has to be off by a certain time every Friday and they are saying they will accommodate to him. Anyone have any employess that this applies to? All the drivers are not happy and are saying they are going to start there own religion and need certain days off weekly hahah!

UPS must accommodate his needs, our brotherhood will back him up if necessary.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

rod

Retired 22 years
Yep, don't invite me over for beer unless you invite another Baptist or I'll drink all your beer.

Isn't it Baptists that can't smoke, drink, dance, listen to music or mess around? Who in their right mind would want to be one of them?

upschuck

I don't like religious people very much, I do like those who follow how Jesus lived his life and follow his teachings. I can totally understand why people are turned off of God because of people who claim they live by the words of God, but only live by the select few that they want to live by.

ChrisTheBrown

I don't like religious people very much, I do like those who follow how Jesus lived his life and follow his teachings. I can totally understand why people are turned off of God because of people who claim they live by the words of God, but only live by the select few that they want to live by.

That's the problem, with most people who claim to be "Christians" & I've heard my Pastor discuss this often..You can't pick & choose what you like & don't like, when it comes to the word of God. Every jot & tittle. Live it or don't.

upschuck

That's the problem, with most people who claim to be "Christians" & I've heard my Pastor discuss this often..You can't pick & choose what you like & don't like, when it comes to the word of God. Every jot & tittle. Live it or don't.
Nobody can live it all the time, that is where grace and mercy comes in.

Being religious is an externally focused, being a follower of Jesus is an internal thing that manifests itself externally.

Overpaid Union Thug

On my last delivery route there was a Jehovah's Witness who used to preach at me a bit (especially when he found out I'm an atheist) an occasionally give me copies of The Watch Tower. Other than that he was a pretty nice guy though. He didn't come off to me as different from any other over zealous xtian out witnessing and spreading the word.
They have their own twisted and distorted version of The Bible (that was translated by 4 men that were not qualified to translate) and will be the nicest, humblest, and caring individuals you will ever meet. Until you show them, or mention the fallacies, and outright lies that The Watchtower Society has inserted in their "bible" and literature. Also.....once they have suckered someone into joining all bets are off. You are expected to be 100% compliant in following their rules and are highly "encouraged" to not associate with "worldly" (non JWs) people including family.

A member's main purpose it's too walk door to door distributing their literature and to convert others so they can by added to the pool of free labor that's true purpose is to keep the publishing company (The Watchtower) relevant. They are also highly "encouraged" to work as little as possible in order to have more time to "preach" and are expected to attend two (used to be three and before that more) "meetings" per week which essentially serves as a way to keep the drones connected to the mother ship.

Here's where it gets complicated. They have a long list of infractions (most of which agent biblical) that can get someone disfellowshipped and when that happens the rest or no longer alloud to speak or associate with them. Remember when I said that they are supposed to only associate with JWs? Well, by complying they eventually are in a position where most, or all, of the people they associate or JWs. When they start to have doubts or actually see the Watchtower for what it really is, a Publishing Company/Cult Leaders that has a continuing history of teaching false doctrine and prophecies, that are stuck in quite the rock and a hard place. Speak out or get out and be shunned by friends and family. Or keep quiet and give lip service to their cause in order not to lose everyone that is dear to them.

Their list of infractions is a whole other topic by itself but what I must mention is that their whole doctrine is dependent on end times prophecies that arent even in the bible. To refute that doctrine as a JW is grounds for disfellowship. And everytime a prophecy doesn't pan out, or other beliefs are proven wrong, they dismiss it by claiming they The Watchtower) saw "A new Light".

It's all a sad affair and it's damn near impossible to deprogram a JW or get them to leave even if they are convinced its all wrong. Some of these other cults share strikingly similar characteristics as the JWs. I just know allot more about JWs because I have personal experience with them.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Nobody can live it all the time, that is where grace and mercy comes in.

Being religious is an externally focused, being a follower of Jesus is an internal thing that manifests itself externally.

Pretty darned profound for a frog.:)

PhatAzz

Yep, don't invite me over for beer unless you invite another Baptist or I'll drink all your beer.

The difference between the Methodists and the Baptists? The Methodists will speak to you if they see you at the liquor store....

Just remember - whatever you believe, you might be wrong