Cover Driving

theUPSman

I apologize for posting quite a bit...but I really enjoy my pre-loading position and I'm just trying to find out what I can about the company through this site. It's very informative, but some things I can't seem to find. I was told by a former UPS manager yesterday that I should go for a cover driver spot. Now remember...I am a pre-loader but I do have a chauffeur's license...I've been employed for 2 months....and I was told that I would be given a road test soon for Saturday Air driving. Anyway, this former manager says that I should go for the cover driving spot, but isn't that based on seniority, and wouldn't I have already had to go to driving school? There's about 7 ppl ahead of me in line to drive. Wouldn't they get the cover spot first? Info? Thanks!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Any driving experience is good.
Do drive on Sat., learn how to read a map , set up your own route ( in ENE we break sat airs down by zipcodes; usually one driver does either one zip or several depending on the volume ), learn traffic patterns ( usually after 10am everyone is out shopping so avoid those areas ), learn which streets are oneway, watch out for seasonal restrictions ( parades, sports games , art fairs ).
Do not worry about how many are ahead of you. Many will say they want the jobs but for one reason or another they won't take them.

theUPSman

I see. I just got my chauffeur's 2 days ago so I could drive on Saturday, so I don't have any driving experience as far as a Chauff. license goes. I'm 21, so I have time to wait on any driver positions. One other pre-loader there told me she's been waiting to drive on Saturday's for a long time, and they haven't done anything about it. I asked one of the sups. if that would happen to me and he said that they probably didn't want her driving and that I should be ok. Guess we'll see.

bellesotico

BOXstar
I see. I just got my chauffeur's 2 days ago so I could drive on Saturday, so I don't have any driving experience as far as a Chauff. license goes. I'm 21, so I have time to wait on any driver positions. One other pre-loader there told me she's been waiting to drive on Saturday's for a long time, and they haven't done anything about it. I asked one of the sups. if that would happen to me and he said that they probably didn't want her driving and that I should be ok. Guess we'll see.

Time driving on a CL means nothing. You will have to pass your MDOT phys and ups road test. It's just a waiting game. No two people will ever have the same answer probably ever. I basically had to keep bugging them until I got in. It's all based on seniority...unless of course..as UpstateNY mentioned..you work where BenefitsareGreat works..and if that were the case..well shoot..you have been there for two months..You should be center manager by now!

:wink2::wink2:

JUST KIDDING!