Crack Kills

Esty

Were in Philadelphia pa
One of our major roads are gona be shut down most likely for a week or so
Penn-Dot says just a few days B/S
there is a crack in the main center support of I-95
I'm glad I get paid bye the Hour lol its gona be a long week
over 100,000 cars use this part of 95 and about half of our building usees it also
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
How far is that from the naval yards?

And how in the hell is that type of damage not noticed. That is pretty severe damage to what holds up both sides overhead.

d

browniehound

That is some serious damage to a bridge traveled by millions of people. Its a scary thought that this hasn't been addresed by the state's highway safety employees in the recent past.

To me, it looks like that bridge is ready to collapse. Who's job is it to over-see these things? When we ask that question, we know the answer is going to be' budgetary' in nature.

The scenario appears to be not unlike UPS. Many of our p1000's are ready to fall apart, and I will testify that they are not highway safe!

For example, there was at least 3 inches of play in the steering wheel when I last drove on the interstate in my P1000! The pre-trip requirements say 1 inch of play, max.

I also can pull the steering wheel six inches up from its base! If I pulled higher, I think I could pull the steering wheel out and hand it to my passanger and say "Hey, why don't you drive :happy-very:"

In all seriousness, I don't think its funny. People's lives are endanger because of our unsafe vehicles. We can't even make smooth turns without power steering. Our trucks are now in the other lane of traffic!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
We had a driver who was buckled in and the seat mount broke. Here it was he was going around a corner with his hands the only thing holding him in the vehicle, and his butt, the seat, and the mount hanging and pulling him out of the car.

Yes, there are unsafe vehicles out there. And I know for a fact UPS puts them out on the road knowing they are unsafe. See the article on the entrance page of this site.

So what do we do about it?

As for the bridge, that type of damage does not just happen overnight by itself. What do they claim caused the damage.

d

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yes, there are unsafe vehicles out there. And I know for a fact UPS puts them out on the road knowing they are unsafe. See the article on the entrance page of this site.
So what do we do about it?
d
Simple. The "safety commitees" in every building nationwide need to start networking with one another, and present UPS with an ultimatum; you WILL retrofit all older package cars with power steering and 3-point seat belts, or else remove them from service. You WILL do it by a certain date. If you refuse to do so, then we...the united safety committees of UPS...WILL resign, and we will draft a letter to OSHA explaining why we have done so. Let management do the work (such as it is) of the committees from now on! Let them grade the papers! Let them hand out the candy and stickers! Let them teach us to mindlessly regurgitate the commentaries and the acronyms and the buzzwords so that the auditors can be satisfied! There is absolutely NO reason for an hourly employee to waste his or her time participating on the so-called "safety commitee" of a company that refuses to provide such BASIC and SIMPLE precautions as a three point seatbelt in a package car!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First off, I doubt seriously that the teamster (notice I said teamsters, not UPS) would allow a formal uniting of the safety committees. They have too much to fear if we actually find out that we have power in unity, not them. Read your contract, it says we can not share it (information) outside of the meeting itself. So unless it is done informally.....

That being said, sober, you present a golden idea, along with some of the others, that could change the way UPS runs, and the teamsters supports the safety issue at UPS. Anything that is worker run, worker based and worker focused on safety is a force to be reconed with. Things like cracked frames, lower entrances to package cars, lower handrails, three point seat belts, all those are very valid safety concerns and need to be addressed at a national level, not locally. And it needs to be pursued through all available channels.

Problem is we need to start somewhere, and at the current safety meeting is the best. What else would you suggest?

d

Esty

Well its day2 of this I-95 shut down
they shut down about 3 miles of I-95
What really sucks is that there is no real good way around it
I'm doing good getting threw it only because of area knowledge
the worse part is that Me and a few other co-workers Need to drive threw this BS 4 times a day
home to work
work to work area
Back to work
back to home
good thing is they DOT says that the temp fix should be ready for morning rush hour 3/20

The shut down is 4 exits north of the Navy Yard about 4 min. drive at 65 MPH

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Esty

I was up there on a project earlier last year. At Urban outfitters corp office. Really a neat place. And they have done so much to upgrade the buildings while keeping the atmosphere of the naval yard.

People there recomended some cheap hotels on the Jersey side, said the prices would be cheaper. Well, I coulda stayed at the airport marriott cheaper, and the rooms would have been much better.

d

Esty

Esty

I was up there on a project earlier last year. At Urban outfitters corp office. Really a neat place. And they have done so much to upgrade the buildings while keeping the atmosphere of the naval yard.

People there recomended some cheap hotels on the Jersey side, said the prices would be cheaper. Well, I coulda stayed at the airport marriott cheaper, and the rooms would have been much better.

d
You must of only seen a small few of the buildings lol
My father still works down there for the Department of Defense
I can show you stuff that would make you Puke and wounder why or how the place is still standing
I was just there Yesterday took the kids to see the U.S.S. Kennedy for who dont know its a huge Aircraft carrier they are Mothballing it
so right now they parked it down at the P.N.S.Y
I have never got a hotel room in Philly or N.J.
only in the Mountains and Shore but I do know that the closer to the airport you are
I also know just south of the air port there is a Ramada Inn that most people try to get in to

And Cementups
I lost the thread couldn't finde it lol and yes 95 is open and I have no bitching left to do

browniehound

Esty,
I saw the USS Kennedy on the news this weekend. So its going to be destroyed? Do you know when it was first commisoned? I'm just curious, because I watch the military channel quite frequently and today's aircraft carriers appear to be light-years ahead in terms of sophistication that the USS Kennedy.

Esty,
I saw the USS Kennedy on the news this weekend. So its going to be destroyed? Do you know when it was first commisoned? I'm just curious, because I watch the military channel quite frequently and today's aircraft carriers appear to be light-years ahead in terms of sophistication that the USS Kennedy.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_John_F._Kennedy_(CV-67)#Ship_history

The ship's keel was laid on October 22, 1964. She was christened May 27, 1967 by Jacqueline Kennedy and her 9-year-old daughter, Caroline at Newport News, Virginia, and entered service September 7, 1968.

Esty

Esty,

Well they Haven't decided what to do with it yet
It could turn out like the USS New Jersey BB-62 and become a Museum
Or you may be shaving with it soon
Gillette over the years has picked up and scraped some old ships for disposable razors
I cant think of any right now but I keep thinking the Saratoga may of been one of them but then I think the Saratoga is parked Newport, R.I Naval Station I'm not sure

Here is some Kennedy info
http://www.navybuddies.com/cvn/cv67.htm

BrownPR215

What Can Brown Do To You!
Hey Brownie

The USS JFK underwent SLEP (Service Life Extension Program) during the early 90's here at the Philadelphia Navy Yard (actually it was the last carrier to do so here). Thats how it was able to stay in service till now. The SLEP program extended the carriers that had it done another 15 years.