Ctr. Mgr. "Just rain water" HazMat "Leaker"

Kyle-ProRI

The DMP employees do a great job and I trust them that they are there for the saftey employees. Oh yah, this guy has 22 years in UPS, guess this is the first time hes ever gotten a phone call... what ever that means? Corp? OSHA? Union? His best friend giving him the heads up? This is more corrupt than anything.

HazMatMan

Well last week I had a leaker in my feeder that had a HazMat pkg. on the side of it. I told my scanner and they notified "DMP". First person to respond was the new center manager, he told me I was over reacting and its just rain leaking into the trailer from the heavy rains we had. Here is his words to me, " We dont have time to respond to every single rained on pkg. When you see a wet pkg. like this, set it aside, take it out when your done" !!!!

This was all after my hands broke out and swelled from that "rained on" pkg. I told head of saftey and she told me "he's the boss, he tell me what to do" . Told me a report was unnecessary.

How long have you been working for UPS?? You don't know the procedures for leaking packages?? Especially those with diamond labels on them?? If this went down as you say it did, then shame on you, shame on the Manager and shame on the safety person..I deal with sups everyday moving damages from the sort aisles, trailers, pkg cars, belts, all to keep the flow moving. This is a time bomb waiting to go off. First person who gets seriously hurt will be fired (management) for doing something they are probably told to do from the boss man.

Kyle-ProRI

How long have you been working for UPS?? You don't know the procedures for leaking packages?? Especially those with diamond labels on them?? If this went down as you say it did, then shame on you, shame on the Manager and shame on the safety person..I deal with sups everyday moving damages from the sort aisles, trailers, pkg cars, belts, all to keep the flow moving. This is a time bomb waiting to go off. First person who gets seriously hurt will be fired (management) for doing something they are probably told to do from the boss man.

The problem is, I did the right thing. I was instructed to do an unsafe duty, went the wrong way with me. I spoke publicly, now im being eyed because someone addressed the guy. Im about to blow the roof off this building.

HazMatMan

The problem is, I did the right thing. I was instructed to do an unsafe duty, went the wrong way with me. I spoke publicly, now im being eyed because someone addressed the guy. Im about to blow the roof off this building.

You did the right thing?? You said you handled the pkg? Correct?? You followed an unsafe instruction from someone who could care less about your safety, next time that happens refuse. You will not get into trouble for refusing to do an unsafe act.

Kyle-ProRI

You did the right thing?? You said you handled the pkg? Correct?? You followed an unsafe instruction from someone who could care less about your safety, next time that happens refuse. You will not get into trouble for refusing to do an unsafe act.

This all happend AFTER my first dispatch of a leaker, when I was told there more than likely rain water. When I exposed my hand to the 2nd leaker is when the Mgr was getting upset that im making a big deal of what he was assuming was rain water. When I had concern of my hands, he said I just washed my hands to hard and its cold which caused them to turn red and irritated. I think I was wrongfully convinced that it wasnt anything serious And paper work would have been a waste of time.

1eyejack

This all happend AFTER my first dispatch of a leaker, when I was told there more than likely rain water. When I exposed my hand to the 2nd leaker is when the Mgr was getting upset that im making a big deal of what he was assuming was rain water. When I had concern of my hands, he said I just washed my hands to hard and its cold which caused them to turn red and irritated. I think I was wrongfully convinced that it wasnt anything serious And paper work would have been a waste of time.
My division manger loss his position and has been demoted.. when a person on the belt had a leaker come down it ,And a safety personal was there watching him and he asked the guy on the belt is that a leaker ..And the guy from the belt put his hand on the wet spot and then he lifted his hand to smell it .... well crapp hit the fan and they demoted the division manger ..... don't touch notify sup......or better yet call in the head safety guy of the building and explain wht happened if he does not take care of matter call corp... they will demote that sup who told u don;t worry about we practice safety and they have regulation to go by ...

L

Load Stand

Two sides to every story here....of course we are only hearing one side...I think we all know if it says it is hazmat, it is clear what to do...

But if it is not hazmat, but it is smoking or irritating, or you do not know what it is, then treat it as hazmat...

If it says car parts and looks like car parts - guess what - it is car parts...if it says shampoo, and it looks like it is shampoo, it is shampoo....

If it has been raining or is raining and looks like packages are wet from rain, guess what - it is rain....

Where is the damaged package that leaked onto these other packages as you are claiming? Acid huh? Use Dove next time on your hands and chill out....

Kyle-ProRI

My division manger loss his position and has been demoted.. when a person on the belt had a leaker come down it ,And a safety personal was there watching him and he asked the guy on the belt is that a leaker ..And the guy from the belt put his hand on the wet spot and then he lifted his hand to smell it .... well crapp hit the fan and they demoted the division manger ..... don't touch notify sup......or better yet call in the head safety guy of the building and explain wht happened if he does not take care of matter call corp... they will demote that sup who told u don;t worry about we practice safety and they have regulation to go by ...

Thanks for understanding the principle of this matter. And Load Stand.. You are out of your mind, I don't care what the object looks like or may appear to be. This place doesnt pay me enough to do my norm. duties, nevermind deal with hazmat. I am not doing anything out of my duties/rights.

Corrupt.

Big Babooba

How not to handle leakers at UPS. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happened somewhere. (Courtesy of Cheech & Chong)

"Hey Chebornik, come here."

"Ya"

"What that ?"

"Looks like dog s### ."

"Looks like dog s### to me too. Pick up."

"What?."

"PICK UP!"

"Eww"

"Feel like dog s###?"

"Ya feels like dog s###.":surprised:

"Smell."

"what?"

"SMELL!"

" phew"

"Smell like dog s###?"

"Ya smells like dog s###.":sick:

"Taste!"

"WHAT?"

"TASTE!"

"ack, phoey"

"Taste like dog s###?"

" Ya, yech, Tastes like dog s###.":dead:

"Good thing we don't step in it. Let's go eat.":whiteflag:

pkg-king

There is another point to this thread, everyone is taught, Don't touch..leave area...notify sup. But what if you pick up the package and your hands are exposed to the leaking pkge before you even knew it was leaking...now what? Why don't we focus on what to do then? Most peoples natural reaction would be to go and wash it off with soap and water, but in some cases, with certain chemicals, this is the wrong thing to do and would make the situation worse.

tieguy

Banned
There is another point to this thread, everyone is taught, Don't touch..leave area...notify sup. But what if you pick up the package and your hands are exposed to the leaking pkge before you even knew it was leaking...now what? Why don't we focus on what to do then? Most peoples natural reaction would be to go and wash it off with soap and water, but in some cases, with certain chemicals, this is the wrong thing to do and would make the situation worse.

I think you're a little too obsessed with this subject. You can always find stories about someone not handling the packages properly. At the same time There is some truth to some of the counter information posted here that you quickly dismissed. You do learn to recognize the same shippers shipping the same type of product in your building after a while. Thus the comment about car parts. You do learn who the shippers are shipping edible products after a while. You can learn to look at a package and tell the difference between one that has been leaking from within and one that has been wet on from the outside. I know this is going to be real hard to believe but your center manager and his supervisors are not all idiots waiting for you to show up and educate them on leaking packages. They actually have some knowledge on this subject that you yourself can learn from. I would not be surprised if many of them have had responder training. If you are that paranoid where you are looking at every package as a potential threat then you should probably find yourself a job that gives you less fear and stress. Inside people handle packages every day without looking at each box as if it is a ticking time bomb.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
Me personally wouldn't handle a package wet from just "rain water" because even water is potentially hazardous when combined with the wrong element. we handle coolers that contain dry ice any of you guys/gals ever see the end result of dry ice coming in contact with water? that rain water is now bomb like. think safe wet is wet don't touch, leave the area , notify a supervisor. Safety starts with you!

brazenbrown

First you handle a haz-mat package when we all know you are to:

DON'T TOUCH
CLEAR OR LEAVE THE AREA
NOTIFY A SUPERVISOR

Then you know they know who you are:

Less than 24 hours ago I created this thread, seeing as this site is monitored like a prison
After stewart was notified by norwood, I was pulled aside and asked specifically about my post on BrownCafe.com.

Then you make a terrorist threat!
Im about to blow the roof off this building.

CLASSIC!

Nice knowing you buddy!:dead:

Kyle-ProRI

Me personally wouldn't handle a package wet from just "rain water" because even water is potentially hazardous when combined with the wrong element. we handle coolers that contain dry ice any of you guys/gals ever see the end result of dry ice coming in contact with water? that rain water is now bomb like. think safe wet is wet don't touch, leave the area , notify a supervisor. Safety starts with you!

Thank you for understanding this matter. Also the toxins used in tape/glue can be dangerous if mixed with liquids. As for the knowing shippers and what not, sure I understand that, but how do you know what package is actually leaking? For my car parts pkg, it was from private party, you could tell by the horrible packing job.
Every wet package I get now I plan on leaving the feeder, and wait for DMP to clean up. They ended up turning this small situation that I just wanted to mention into a huge inside ordeal. What are they going to fire me, for what? For following the rules and playing by the book? Now im playing this book, by every single word in context... Now they want to make smart remarks about leakers? Most of these big shots are as dirty as any Gov't out there. They have alot more to lose than I do. This was never ment to turn into a personal situation between me n this joke. Never though addressing this matter would give me such negative opinions. I mean if you want me to send down some white lightning, bleach, chlorine, cyanide or what anything MIGHT be, down the belt I will be please... Oh but dont sue me or bring it up to Managment because you are on the ground in pain crying for your life because you can see you hand blistering in front of your eyes... PFFTT! Situations like this is the reason why companys pay out the butt on health insurance/ Workers Comp. because things are overlooked and only handled when something really does happen. Then its your fault because you didnt follow protocol and your out a few layers of skin and a job.

Kyle-ProRI

First you handle a haz-mat package when we all know you are to:

DON'T TOUCH
CLEAR OR LEAVE THE AREA
NOTIFY A SUPERVISOR

Then you know they know who you are:

Then you make a terrorist threat!

CLASSIC!

Nice knowing you buddy!:dead:

Yeah.. with Corp and local gov't... this really has gone too far..

Floridacargocat

Re statement "car parts".
You would be surprised, how many car parts are actually classified as "hazardous material", beginning with batteries, ending with air bags and seatbelt pretensioners (under certain conditions, they are classified as explosives Class 1.4 S as per MSDS or as Class 9, it depends on; have encountered a case like that where I advised my client to return this item to the shipper as it was not properly declared and there were more than just hazmat questions about this shipment). There are some interesting presentations by major automobile manufacturers showing the kind of hazardous material they are using in the manufacture of automobiles. And how do they get them?
Again, if a fibreboard box is wet/soaked, then the structural integrity of the box does not meet stated performance requirements, let it be a certificated hazmat box or a regular box. Consequences are easy to predict, especially for boxes containing hazmat. What else do we need? Any other holes of a Swiss cheese to be lined up, ending in the collaps of the Swiss cheese (translated: incident/accident)? Please advise.
Admittedly, the UPS 1 hour video is more than basic, but it contains key messages for the unload/preload personnel. The real mistake has been made well before it actually happens, and that is where incidents like the described one can be avoided at relatively minor costs.
FYI, in UK, a forwarder was sentenced to 12 months prison, because he was "convinced " by the shipper to not declare a hazmat shipment in the proper way due to "economic pressure". How often does this happen here in the USA?
Watch out for Li-ion batteries (primary and secondary).

tieguy

Banned
Thank you for understanding this matter. Also the toxins used in tape/glue can be dangerous if mixed with liquids.

If that is your mindset then wear gloves

As for the knowing shippers and what not, sure I understand that, but how do you know what package is actually leaking?

Packages don't leak from the outside.

For my car parts pkg, it was from private party, you could tell by the horrible packing job.
Every wet package I get now I plan on leaving the feeder, and wait for DMP to clean up. They ended up turning this small situation that I just wanted to mention into a huge inside ordeal.

Honestly I think you helped turn this into a big ordeal.

What are they going to fire me, for what? For following the rules and playing by the book? Now im playing this book, by every single word in context... Now they want to make smart remarks about leakers? Most of these big shots are as dirty as any Gov't out there.

Sounds like you have a personal agenda here?

They have alot more to lose than I do. This was never ment to turn into a personal situation between me n this joke. Never though addressing this matter would give me such negative opinions. I mean if you want me to send down some white lightning, bleach, chlorine, cyanide or what anything MIGHT be, down the belt I will be please...

Not really just want you to use some common sense. Don't turn every package with rain spots on the outside into a haz mat crisis. You can tell the difference between the two.

Oh but dont sue me or bring it up to Managment because you are on the ground in pain crying for your life because you can see you hand blistering in front of your eyes... PFFTT!

Question . Did your "scanner" also experience the same discomfort. How about the person that removed it? Did you actually roll on the ground crying for your life after experiencing what you previously described as a redness on your hands?
Did you ever find out what was in the box? in your previous post you described it as an acidic base type material. It can't be both an acid and a base?

Situations like this is the reason why companys pay out the butt on health insurance/ Workers Comp. because things are overlooked and only handled when something really does happen.

Do you have any figures on how much UPS pays "out the but" for these types of situations. I hear of every injury and accident in my district via voice mail. I rarely hear of one related to a leaking package.

Then its your fault because you didnt follow protocol and your out a few layers of skin and a job.

This is clearly presented as a serious issue. You now describe a pain that was so severe that you were rolling around on the ground crying for your life. Did you seek medical attention for this pain that you also say removed a few layers of skin? Correct me if I'm wrong but a chemical burn that removes a few layers of skin would be a pretty severe burn. What type of medical treatment did you take for this rolling on the ground crying for your life chemical burn that removed layers of skin?
What was this chemical. I would think I would have made sure I knew if I came in contact with a substance that had me rolling on the ground crying for my life?

tieguy

Banned
Could careless that he touched it, but he smelled it and said "We dont have time to respond to every single rained on pkg. When you see a wet pkg. like this, set it aside, take it out when your done" Yeah, wasn't rain water, ended up being a mild acidic base t something I believe. Now I have very dry/red skin, and at times get irritaded. But I don't want to get into this, cause I already know this is going to go through the roof tomorrow.

I told my scanner asap, they told a Supe, I left the feeder. As I do with any Leaker. I did not receive med. treatment. I was instructed to wash my hands and return. I did so and when I returned Ctr Mgr asked to lookat my hands and I noticed they were red, he said I washed my hands too harsh and its from the cold.. Claiming it was just water. I was convinced, continue working as usual.

Here is your previous post where you describe a redness on your hands. It now appears in your last post that it progressed to a rolling on the floor crying for your life pain watching blisters rise on your hand as the chemical removed layers of your skin?

Which one is it Kyle?

Kyle-ProRI

are you kidding me? Im describing what COULD happen. Not what happend. You think if I was in instant pain and convinced it was rain water, I would even have to talk about this here? You don't even understand the topic, why don't you do me a favor and stop posting pointless issues.. And I hope your someone who does stuff like this, and gets an eyeopener of their life time. ... Your prob a supe like many of them out there and just pace back n forth barking orders, looking busy, and whining about people calling in or late starter... Guess what, deal with it, its your job... Earn your money and make your self useful... Maybe you might respect us a lil more if you go back a few years, scan/unload etc. for a whole shift... Bet you dont even have enough stamina to keep up with us.... Or if that doesnt apply to you... go back to your pgk car that you got when you were hired off the street and do a full route ... (None of this is directly pointed to anyone) Just my expressions... I bet MANY MANY can agree with me on this one.