Ctr. Mgr. "Just rain water" HazMat "Leaker"

LKLND3380

Exactly my point. Even tho he said to move the "rained" leakers. I wouldn't have. But its the fact that he told me to do it, not concerned about my saftey but just numbers. And he tried to prove to my that the box was rain by "just smell it" .. ******if you ask me. Weather I did what he said or not, He's wrong and should be diciplined in the correct manor. Is this worth going to my stewart about or just keep working as i normally would and use my own judgement.

"Its just acid, close your eyes, turn your head, and walk to DMP" In other words

Ok... It sounds like you are a preloader so lets say... The driver reports it as a leaking Haz Mat and then you are fired for "LOADING A LEAKING PACKAGE" that is not proper methods... Or they fire you for improper methods for HANDLING A LEAKING HAZ MAT...

Yes go contact a steward and get the names of all those who witnessed it. In the grievence ask what part of the Designated Responder training involves placing your nose near and inhale?

LKLND3380

Many years ago I called in a haz mat leaker and the Ctr. mgr told me to keep moving. I told him I was doing as I was trained. He repeated to keep moving. I told him I couldn't because I had also called the local fire dept. Boy did his head explode.

That is NOT proper methods and not following the chain of command within UPS... In the Safety Office there is what is called "the Blue Book," it outlines how haz mats are treated and when an "outside" reposnder is called in...

Fire department is called somewhere after Plant Engineering and the District Safety Manager. UNLESS it is Mercury or employees are passing out all over the place.

LKLND3380

Actually, according to the decision tree for responders there are reasons someone can touch a wet pkg and even contain it into a spill tub and move it to the damaged package work area.

Well if you have your PPE gear on... Then you can touch a wet package...

We had a Supe (maybe three or four years ago) that was a designated responder and what ever the leakers was, it burned/ate away at the rubber on the supes shoes...

So yeah the Descision Tree FOR RESPONDERS does say when it can be touched but the responder must call and check out the package first. People who are not Responders would not have access to a spill cart to read the decision tree...

over9five

Staff member
God, I read this stuff and it gets me so mad! Thank God in my (former Package) center they are professionals. I have twice had leakers on my package car.
The first I called in, honestly I was just going to shove it in a couple of DR bags. They said, "No, Over, we'll send someone right out to take care of it". I parked, left the vehicle, and my sup shows up half an hour later. She is a hazmat responder and cleaned it up.
Second time was a major spill, and they sent a hazmat responder. No problem, no questioning my decision to call in either time.

All very professional. Thank you UPS.

HazMatMan

Well if you have your PPE gear on... Then you can touch a wet package...

We had a Supe (maybe three or four years ago) that was a designated responder and what ever the leakers was, it burned/ate away at the rubber on the supes shoes...

So yeah the Descision Tree FOR RESPONDERS does say when it can be touched but the responder must call and check out the package first. People who are not Responders would not have access to a spill cart to read the decision tree...

Read the decision tree again, it says certain packages can be handled by any UPS personnel even those who have not received special training. It says nothing about wearing PPE...This also does not say responder must check the package first. Also, I am sure management was informed about this part of the decision tree (you know, so they could pull the package out of the trailer, sort aisle, belt, so as not to impede the work flow) so they would not have to go to a spill cart to actually read the decision tree for I am sure it was drilled into their heads. As long as we are on the subject, come to think of it, sups will pull ANY kind of leaker out of a trailer, sort aisle, belt and SAY they knew what it was.