Curious on fulltime air driver classification and feeder bid status

brett636

As of Friday the second feeder bid list has been posted in all the centers in my hub. On the actual sheet it states that package car drivers will be considered first, then fulltime inside, and finally part-time workers for the available jobs. I'm a combo PM air driver/hub sorter, and in my workgroup we have one fulltime air driver. He usually starts when I am finishing up with my first shift to drive NDA's to Liousville. Anyways, before the feeder bid sheet was put up he was called by our HR person in charge of fulltime hiring and was told specifically not to bid on the feeder list that was posted. I find this curious because this same guy has bid on combo jobs that were posted just to see if he would get a call and he does not. It seems that he is stuck in his current position and can't get out. What is the rule regarding a fulltime air driver and their bid status on other jobs, like feeder or even combo positions, that become available. I understand he falls under article 40 just as I do when I am doing air pickups, but he seems to be special as he isn't being allowed to work any other positions than his current one, and considering his job is the only fulltime air driver job we have it's making it difficult for him to go where. :confused:1

705red

Browncafe Steward
Brett in my contract it states that any fulltimer with one year safe driving record can place their name on the feeder list. You have to be in the job classification for at least 1 year before bidding out. Maybe he is red circled at top package pay and will take a pay cut if he leaves, i would talk to someone in your area (steward, agent) to see what the contract states.

brett636

Brett in my contract it states that any fulltimer with one year safe driving record can place their name on the feeder list. You have to be in the job classification for at least 1 year before bidding out. Maybe he is red circled at top package pay and will take a pay cut if he leaves, i would talk to someone in your area (steward, agent) to see what the contract states.

From my understanding he has met the one year safe driving milestone earlier this summer, and is only at the midway of the air driving wage progession schedule. Although in my hub the safe driving rule seems to get ignored as long as you are not in package car, but thats a different conversation. He just needs to call the union hall and talk to a BA or steward to get a full understanding of his classification. HR seems to take the stance that he cannot bid out and is stuck in his air driving position.

Cole

Yes I would also suggest calling your ba/local.

I believe the 1 yr rule applies here, or at least for the Art 22 jobs etc...

brett636

Yes I would also suggest calling your ba/local.

I believe the 1 yr rule applies here, or at least for the Art 22 jobs etc...

I believe his position falls under article 40 if I'm not mistaken. Does that change his ability to bid on feeder jobs?

Cole

I wouldn't think so, but I haven't been in the Air Op in quite a while. I'll check my contract book and see what I can find.

I do know the preamble of Art 40 states that it superceds all other language on the same subjects etc...Be back asap.

Cole

I see nothing in the National Master Air language to prevent someone from bidding out to feeders or anything else. Call the local ba and get specifics, if they don't know try to contact the parcel division of the IBT.

Delivered

Being that he is fulltime he should be able to bid on any fulltime. He has 1 year of safe driving so he should be good to go. I wish UPS would make some full-time air driving jobs around here.

Cole

Also Brett, I sure wouldn't take the HR's word for it, as often they either don't know the contract, or play ignorant, or both. Let us know what comes out of it.

brett636

Derf- I completely agree.

Cole- Next time I talk to him I will let him know what you said and see what comes out of it. Thanks for looking that up!

brett636

UPDATE: I was speaking with the driver mentioned above, and apparently the HR person that told him he couldn't sign the sheet was confused on what kind of sheet she wanted to put up. Originally it was going to be for package car only, but after she told this driver he couldn't sign it she decided to make it for everyone. As we all thought he had every right to sign that list and go into feeders.