Curious - Time From Initial Employ to FT Driver

SmithBarney

mainebrown, barnyard... if nearly every question ever asked about UPS is supposedly here on browncafe, and all the newbies used the search..
we'd have nothing to talk about.... ;)

Mike Hawk

Best bet is to ask a local driver what the wait is..

Where I was, was 6 months, preload to driver school.
But where I was training was a 3-4 year wait
and they had 8 centers under one roof..

Why do they have 8 centers in one building? I don't get it why not call it one center? Are there 8 seperate center manager's?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Albany (Latham) NY has 4 centers in the same bldg, each with its own mgt team.

BTW, is that juice bar still at the end of Avis Rd out by Friendly's on 7?

rod

Retired 22 years
From the weekend I got married ( back then the requirements to be full time were you had to be 21, married and have your military service completed ) it was the next day. I had worked part time for about 4 months- got married on Memorial weekend and started full time driving on the tuesday after that 3 day weekend.:peaceful: It took 90 days to get up to full pay scale.

SmithBarney

Why do they have 8 centers in one building? I don't get it why not call it one center? Are there 8 seperate center manager's?

Mike,
Commerce City, services much of if not all of the denver metro area and extended areas.
I couldn't imagine a preload with 300+ package cars thats why they break it up into 8 centers, with managers etc... for each.

Overpaid Union Thug

I waited seven years in my center. That was at least two years over the average. Part-time cover driving is almost as soon as you walk in the door as long as you are 21.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
10 months here. 05/05 to 03/06. For me it was just good timing. The wait time now looks like it could be a few years.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Serious Question.

For those who became employed with UPS for the purpose of eventually becomming a FT driver, how long did it take you to get that position?

Any tips? (I was going to say "shortcuts" but that is just not the right word.)

Been there a week myself, starting Saturday delivery at two weeks. Passed ALL online (UPS Intranet) tests in my first week.

Pretty sure you won't be driving for DOT or UPS in two weeks. Its not happening, especially with UPS NDA's?
  • DMV records are required
  • Physical & Drug Test- results)
  • Uniforms
  • Driving Test
  • Driver Training School?
  • Diad training?
  • Senority?
  • Driver wait list. You have to be with UPS for six months before you can drive.
Candidates must be a minimum of 21 years of age, and be able to drive a standard transmission. Applicants must have a clean driving record, free of accidents and moving violations in the last twelve months. You must be able to pass a UPS road test and meet all DOT requirements, as well as UPS appearance guidelines. After one year you are eligible to be placed on the full-time driving list, these positions are filled in seniority order.

Someone is pulling your leg. You have only been there a week. The first four days are $25 training days.

When was your actual first day? Today...

Have you taken the week long drivers class that is now mandatory by DOT?

Sorry to burst your bubble but slow down.....

Last edited:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Pretty sure you won't be driving for DOT or UPS in two weeks. Its not happening, especially with UPS NDA's?
  • Uniforms
  • Driving Test
  • Diad training?
  • Senority?
  • Driver wait list. You have to be with UPS for six months before you can drive.
Candidates must be a minimum of 21 years of age, and be able to drive a standard transmission. Applicants must have a clean driving record, free of accidents and moving violations in the last twelve months. You must be able to pass a UPS road test and meet all DOT requirements, as well as UPS appearance guidelines. After one year you are eligible to be placed on the full-time driving list, these positions are filled in seniority order.

Someone is pulling your leg. You have only been there a week. The first four days are $25 training days.

hey now, you never know. This IS UPS, management DOES sometimes completely ignore the contract, play favorites and take care of certain people over others.

I agree with you sounds fishy and alot of false promises to keep the new guy happy and keep the coffee and donuts train from derailing :biting::biting: ---,

but we don't know the person's situation either, if theyre in a small center or hub, etc. If they work in a hub - you know as well as I ( well maybe not) that seniority is often neglected for playing favorites while the stewards sort smalls and shed a blind eye to this stuff.

browniehound

10 months here. 05/05 to 03/06. For me it was just good timing. The wait time now looks like it could be a few years.

Same here dilli. It took me exactly 1 year and a week from my hire date to full-time driving. Like you said, its all a matter of timing and luck. I lucked out because it was around the time UPS violated the contact by not creating 10,000 full-time jobs in early '00. As a part timer in early '00 I bid on a 22.3 job. I had been with UPS less than 6 months yet I got the job of hub air driving/hub sort.

The icing on cake was, I got back pay, pension contributions, and seniority all the way back to my PT start date because UPS didn't create these jobs when they were supposed to!! So, I worked PT for six months but was given a check for the hours I should have been given under the contract as a FT employee. I was also given pension credit. My FT seniorty date was changed also to the day I started at UPS(this has actually pissed off many union members when I jumped them on the seniorty list, but hey, its not my fault, right?).

I did this job for 6 months and then bid for FT package job and because I had a full-time senority of almost a year by then, I got the job over every part-timer (FT seniority rules).

Man, did I luck out. Now the wait is at least a few years.

Also, the path I suggest most people to take is to grab a 22.3 job and do that until you have enough juice to bid your own route. You can probably get a FT driving job sooner, but you will be a swing driver. This means they can do whatever they want with you. Send you out blind, use you to help everyone, etc. You probablly won't be working everyday because you will be low man.

depends on size of center, they say 3-5 at my center, started in 01 was a cover in 02, went friend/t in 05, been 3 yrs full time. dont do it, stay p/t, they got u by the balls when u go friend/t, if u have balls...

bellesotico

BOXstar
  • Uniforms
  • Driving Test
  • Diad training?
  • Senority?

Full time driving is different than Saturdays. Although I was surprised that seniority did not factor in here. As tight as ups is..I'm floored that they would invest in someone that hasn't even been qualified yet for their hired in position.

Im still trying to figure out what the intranet tests were!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Intranet refers to the internal UPS network.

Internet, which was invented by Al Gore, is what you access to go to You Tube.

Think back to high school--intramural sports were played with teams formed by players from the same school while interscholastic sports were games played with other schools.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Intranet refers to the internal UPS network.

Internet, which was invented by Al Gore, is what you access to go to You Tube.

Think back to high school--intramural sports were played with teams formed by players from the same school while interscholastic sports were games played with other schools.

I know the difference between the two...if you are referring to me. I was just inquiring as to what he was speaking of:

Originally Posted by But Benefits Are Great!
Serious Question.

For those who became employed with UPS for the purpose of eventually becomming a FT driver, how long did it take you to get that position?

Any tips? (I was going to say "shortcuts" but that is just not the right word.)

Been there a week myself, starting Saturday delivery at two weeks. Passed ALL online (UPS Intranet) tests in my first week.