Customer demands I tape box

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Package gets back to Amazon. Amazon says what's supposed to be in the box isn't in the box. Customer swears up and down it was when they handed the open box to the UPS driver.

Worth the potential trouble?
Amazon questions nothing. That's like worrying what's in a dish network box.

clean hairy

I had a call tag for a mini-fridge. I get there and the mini-fridge is still plugged in with contents still in it. I explain to the woman that it needs to be unplugged, boxed up and contents emptied. "AMAZON DIDN'T TELL ME THAT! IT NEEDS TO GO OUT NOW! WHAT'S YOUR SUPERVISOR'S NUMBER?!?!" etc. etc. This goes on for about 3 more minutes. I politely explain again that I am unable to take it and left the RS1 on her porch, which she promptly tore up. I'm always surprised that these customers think that I can just drive up and take their 80 lb. barbeque grill with hot dogs still on it.
I would not doubt the hot dogs were still cooking?
"Wait a few minutes and you can join joe bob and nilly bob and me for hot dogs and beer!

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
If the customer is nice, then I would do what Jim Casey would expected us to do. But, we are not obligated to tape up pickups. It is suppose to be ready to be transferred to our care...we are not mobile UPS stores

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Went for a call tag and a woman gets to hootin and hollerin about how I’m supposed to have tape and tape her package. Very disrespectful. Since she was already holding the tag I put left tag at stop and walked away instead of arguing.

I have tape but only for packages I deliver to customers. If they’re super nice or elderly I don’t mind taping it up.

What would you guys do?
I'd tape it...

Last edited by a moderator:

barnyard

KTM rider
I have posted this before.....

Several years ago, a woman accused me of opening a box I delivered to her to look through it and decide if I wanted to keep anything. She said that I taped the box back up and thought she would not notice.

I quit carrying tape that day. I was a cover guy for 15+ years. When I was on someone's route, I left their tapegun in the building, next to where their truck was parked. If I was running a crap wagon, I just left the tape in the building.

A couple of years later, I had an RS3 calltag for the same woman that accused me of opening her package. She tried to give me a box with stuff half falling out and I said, "You will have to tape that up, I'll pick it up tomorrow."

She told me to tape it up.

"Sorry, I no longer carry tape. Someone accused me of trying to steal something and cover it up by taping up the box. She ruined it for everyone. I do not carry tape."
She threw the box at me, told me to effen tape it, because that was my job.

NR1
The next day, the box was still on the lawn, where she had thrown it at me.
NR2
The next day, I did another route, which kind of bummed me out, because I want to NR3 it and I am fairly certain that the woman that ran the route, picked it up and taped it closed.

Several years ago, a woman accused me of opening a box I delivered to her to look through it and decide if I wanted to keep anything. She said that I taped the box back up and thought she would not notice.

I quit carrying tape that day. I was a cover guy for 15+ years. When I was on someone's route, I left their tapegun in the building, next to where their truck was parked. If I was running a crap wagon, I just left the tape in the building.

A couple of years later, I had an RS3 calltag for the same woman that accused me of opening her package. She tried to give me a box with stuff half falling out and I said, "You will have to tape that up, I'll pick it up tomorrow."

"Sorry, I no longer carry tape. Someone accused me of trying to steal something and cover it up by taping up the box. She ruined it for everyone. I do not carry tape."

NR1
NR2
The next day, I did another route, which kind of bummed me out, because I want to NR3 it and I am fairly certain that the woman that ran the route, picked it up and taped it closed.
I don't stress myself out over stupid stuff like that. I don't mind throwing a piece of tape on every now and again.
Actually I have to take up way more stuff that I'm delivering because the boxes are falling apart.

bbsam

Staff member
It’s all about the customer’s attitude to me. If they’re genuinely trying to get it out and conscientiously asking if I can tape it, I have no problem with it whatsoever.

If they’re being jackasses and telling me what my job is and how to do it, well, we can make that attempt again tomorrow.

iruhnman630

NR1
NR2
With her, I would do the same thing.

Few people keep packing tape in the house. It takes about 15 seconds to slap on a piece of tape.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Totally depends. If it’s just a normal sized amazon box with one flap still open and the people are nice; no problem. 20 seconds out of my day.
But a mini fridge? I would’ve laughed in the lady’s face and calmly explained that we don’t prepare the parcels for return, that is on the customer. If it’s rs3 it’s “we will try again tomorrow, I apologize for the inconvenience.”
If it’s rs1; “I’ll have to just leave this with you ma’am, we do offer on demand pickup service if you’d like us to come back.”
Easy peasy.
If the customer gets snippy, it’s smile, have a nice day, wave on your way back to the truck. I’ve been screamed at and I actually find it hilarious, no reason to feel demeaned because some desperate housewife is too stupid to read directions properly. Laughing all the way to the next stop.