Customers and The UPS Driver

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
New poster here, been lurking for a long time and decided to chime in. As a Express swing, let me tell you about the stop I had last week on the route I was covering. I had 5 docs and 20 boxes (the boxes all being computer servers about 80 lbs each). I went to the receiving dock and they told me they only took the docs, any boxes had to be delivered to the reception desk out front, on the second floor with no elevator. Called my manager and for once he told me to scan refused at receiving.

Wow, a reasonable manager. That's unusual to have one actually see things from the courier's perspective.

over9five

Staff member
New poster here, been lurking for a long time and decided to chime in. As a Express swing, let me tell you about the stop I had last week on the route I was covering. I had 5 docs and 20 boxes (the boxes all being computer servers about 80 lbs each). I went to the receiving dock and they told me they only took the docs, any boxes had to be delivered to the reception desk out front, on the second floor with no elevator. Called my manager and for once he told me to scan refused at receiving.
LOL, love to hear that! They'll request everything be sent UPS from now on. Thanks for the business!

LTFedExer

Wow, a reasonable manager. That's unusual to have one actually see things from the courier's perspective.
Every manager I've had used to be a courier. 1 was a courier for A YEAR before making manager. He had no real clue what we go through. I recently looked up, he's a SM on the East Coast. Who's butt he kissed is beyond me.

FedExer267

They make pills for that, you know.:wink2: Or you could ask your contractor for a "reach around" tomorrow morning since that seems to be the way you view your working relationship with him.:surprised::happy-very:

HAHAHA!!! YA thats a good way to lose some teeth. Like I said in other posts bbsam it is no secret we are treated unfairly thats the problem with a billion dollar company doing business this way. I now have realized you are definatley not the average Contractor with offering up reach arounds where is that in the bonus program or is it a special bonus?

bbsam

Staff member
HAHAHA!!! YA thats a good way to lose some teeth. Like I said in other posts bbsam it is no secret we are treated unfairly thats the problem with a billion dollar company doing business this way. I now have realized you are definatley not the average Contractor with offering up reach arounds where is that in the bonus program or is it a special bonus?
Hey, you're the one who keeps showing up and bending over for the guy. I'm just trying to make it more pleasant for you. I gave my drivers $500 bonuses this year. Don't know what you have to settle for.

FedExer267

500 bonuses Wow I guess your not the Avg. Contractor which I believe I had told you in the past. Yes I do show up my kids will never see their father quit. That dosent teach them much does it. I will continue to show up and do a job I loathe because I dont want to sit on my butt and collect welfare off of hard working americans while I do nothing. Its bad enough I get food stamps and medical from the state now for working 55 hours a week.

whenIgetthere

LOL, love to hear that! They'll request everything be sent UPS from now on. Thanks for the business!

Well let me finish, when I went to the reception area and asked her about it, she basically said take a hike, they go to receiving. Sorry, should've put that in the first post. I am paid to deliver pacakages, not get in the middle of a p---ing contest among employees at customer locations. My manager is usally very unreasonable, but backed me up for once. But to put him in context, when we were out delivering in the blizzard last week, while the other belt managers had their employees straight line, we had to deliver P1 first, even though we didn't leave the building until 1030!!

over9five

Staff member
Well let me finish, when I went to the reception area and asked her about it, she basically said take a hike, they go to receiving. Sorry, should've put that in the first post. I am paid to deliver pacakages, not get in the middle of a p---ing contest among employees at customer locations. My manager is usally very unreasonable, but backed me up for once. But to put him in context, when we were out delivering in the blizzard last week, while the other belt managers had their employees straight line, we had to deliver P1 first, even though we didn't leave the building until 1030!!

Ahhh, I see. At that point, I would have "refused" them too.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I used to do Heavyweight, and I'd always loved it when you showed-up at a customer location with a 2500# pallet,with no dock, no forklift, and the front doors aren't wide enough to get the pallet through.Oh,and even if you could get through the door, they don't want the pallet jack messing-up the floor. "Can you break-it down and deliver it upstairs?" (NO elevator). NO,NO,NO!! Back on the truck as a refused package...gone!!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
As a Express swing, let me tell you about the stop I had last week on the route I was covering. I had 5 docs and 20 boxes (the boxes all being computer servers about 80 lbs each). I went to the receiving dock and they told me they only took the docs, any boxes had to be delivered to the reception desk out front, on the second floor with no elevator.

Not doubting your story but what kind of assbackward company would only accept docs at a receiving dock? Sounds like those employees there are just flat out LAZY and don't want to deal with anything heavier than 2 pounds. Sounds like the general manager there needs to fire some staff.

Packages refused. Good call!

whenIgetthere

Not doubting your story but what kind of assbackward company would only accept docs at a receiving dock? Sounds like those employees there are just flat out LAZY and don't want to deal with anything heavier than 2 pounds. Sounds like the general manager there needs to fire some staff.

Packages refused. Good call!

I had heard this about this particular company (a large insurance company), but had never had anything more than docs for them in the other times I covered this route. I had always felt that maybe people were embellishing the truth about them, but this just proved they were right all along. Sad, but true!!

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

My personal favorite is "my normal driver has my stuff here every day by 0830..." well, I am not your normal driver and I cannot justify passing up 10 other P-1 stops just to get to you first, when I have until 1030 to get to you. I have had this company complain on me, and lo and behold, the management team actually backed me up! This company is a huge document source too.

whenIgetthere

My personal favorite is "my normal driver has my stuff here every day by 0830..." well, I am not your normal driver and I cannot justify passing up 10 other P-1 stops just to get to you first, when I have until 1030 to get to you. I have had this company complain on me, and lo and behold, the management team actually backed me up! This company is a huge document source too.

We have one of those, they "require" all deliveries before 0930, whether P1 or P2. When swings cover the route, they get there stuff after 1030 if no P1, but the regular guy goes there first whether he has P1 or not. Don't know how he gets away with it, 'cause my manager would drop an OLCC on me in a heartbeat for that!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have one of those, they "require" all deliveries before 0930, whether P1 or P2. When swings cover the route, they get there stuff after 1030 if no P1, but the regular guy goes there first whether he has P1 or not. Don't know how he gets away with it, 'cause my manager would drop an OLCC on me in a heartbeat for that!

I don't see the problem--if the regular driver is able to get all of his P1's delivered on time and is able to take care of this customer at the same time, more power to him. Yes, this does make it hard on the swing drivers, but the customer needs to appreciate that his regular guy is going above and beyond to take care of him.

whenIgetthere

I don't see the problem--if the regular driver is able to get all of his P1's delivered on time and is able to take care of this customer at the same time, more power to him. Yes, this does make it hard on the swing drivers, but the customer needs to appreciate that his regular guy is going above and beyond to take care of him.

Where I am coming from is the management team at my station FORBIDS delivery of any stop without at least one P1 package before 1030. I have gotten in trouble for accidentally (meaning a stop that is P1 everyday, so not paying too much attention on the sort, assumed they had a P1 when they did not) and got written up for it. Many fellow couriers have done the same and been written up repeatedly, but this one particular courier does it, and doesn't get the same treatment as we do. And don't think he is a good or great courier, he's the kind that can take 45 or 50 stops (in one small zip code) and turn it into a 12 hour day, when swings all look at his route as a day off!! His entire route can be completed and slide into a PM route without dropping any stops.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Amen brother...we have a bulk route that everyone seems to be able to pull the belt, check behind the person stacking the truck (very high pkg count), leave at 0800 and still be back in the building by 1030.. pne guy manages to turn it into a 7 hour route. This is only 8-10 stops and around 700 pcs total. I just don't get it. I guess that is one of the few good things I got from the purple people eaters...lol

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I have a few stops where the receiving dept. closes early. Like around 1400. This requires that I absolutely have to del. all their frt. that is due that day around 1000 (when I'm driving by the first time, first cycle). I addressed this issue with my manager and they say that if the recipient customer has "certain" del hours. (like recieving only there in the early AM) that we have to abide by this. Otherwise, it turns into a mess when you show up at 1400 with frt. and it's a huge pain in the asss to get someone to sign. Also, my mgrs. say that if we don't get it off (like I put a scan on the frt. that says "bus. closed") then, it turns into a WDL which is much harder for them to swallow than a couple "stand alones". FWIW.

Last edited:

brownedout

Ask yourself is it the brown uniform or the great wage these guys make. Customers love the UPS Guy.
I was making a delivery the other day and I walked into this business and asked the girls upfront if they could open the back door for me. They looked at each other and said we only get our hands dirty for the UPS Guy. Not to be outdone by their sarcastic remark I walked back around the building and drove to the front and dropped their stuff in the front office. They looked at me and said we take our deliveries in the back, I smiled and said well it seems to me you prefer to have the UPS Guy in the back so from know on I will do you in the front.
Have a nice day.:wink2:
We've ALL encountered that at one time or another. Your reply fits nicely in the sexual innuendo thread we had awhile back. Be careful you would hate to say it, or be overheard by the wrong person next time.