Customers and The UPS Driver

whenIgetthere

We've ALL encountered that at one time or another. Your reply fits nicely in the sexual innuendo thread we had awhile back. Be careful you would hate to say it, or be overheard by the wrong person next time.

Careful what you say to customers period. We had security in before peak to go over the useful mall secutiy etc., and he told us of a misunderstanding an Express courier had with a resi delivery where a woman who couldn't speak english well told the courier she had a nice cushy job being a nanny or maid (forget the exact details), and he said to the effect of "I'd kill for a job like that" and this persons boss filed assault charges against him. Haven't heard of the outcome, but he may wind up jail, and will definitely lose his job. This happened in the Bostonian district, though don't know which station.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Careful what you say to customers period. We had security in before peak to go over the useful mall secutiy etc., and he told us of a misunderstanding an Express courier had with a resi delivery where a woman who couldn't speak english well told the courier she had a nice cushy job being a nanny or maid (forget the exact details), and he said to the effect of "I'd kill for a job like that" and this persons boss filed assault charges against him. Haven't heard of the outcome, but he may wind up jail, and will definitely lose his job. This happened in the Bostonian district, though don't know which station.

That sounds just a little bit too far fetched. Assault charges for using a common, American term? But, wouldn't doubt the guy gets fired. I've seen guys get disciplined for less and whatever the customer or civilian on the street tells X is gold. X doesn't give a rats butt what their 10 yr. employee's side of the story is.

I warn new employees that X will never, ever, stand up for you. They will always take the other person's version of whatever happened as gospel. BTW, I got busted for making a joke once, gotta watch what you say FOR SURE. Especially if it's a person you don't know very well if at all.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That sounds just a little bit too far fetched. Assault charges for using a common, American term? But, wouldn't doubt the guy gets fired. I've seen guys get disciplined for less and whatever the customer or civilian on the street tells X is gold. X doesn't give a rats butt what their 10 yr. employee's side of the story is.

I warn new employees that X will never, ever, stand up for you. They will always take the other person's version of whatever happened as gospel. BTW, I got busted for making a joke once, gotta watch what you say FOR SURE. Especially if it's a person you don't know very well if at all.

Exactly. If there is ever a question whether to believe the customer or you, FedEx is going to believe the customer, especially if they are a big shipper. You will most happily be thrown under the bus and presumed guilty. This is a big reason why we need a real grievance process, which would not be GFT or Open Door. Both of these joke programs will uphold management 99% of the time. As an Express employee, you have no rights unless you obtain a lawyer, at which point the company actually pays attention to you. Wonder why that is.

FedExer267

Well I guess thats where I am lucky not being a employee. I suppose they could go after my Contractor to get rid of me, they would be off the hook for paying unemployement. These managers at Ground are a joke apparently they did not get the memo that we are not their employees they threaten drivers everyday with their jobs, Yell at us for wearing are jackets because they dont say FedEx when no one will give us one, Threaten us when we dont answer are phones, and threaten us for raising questions about preload going home when the belts are still rolling with packages coming down them. For what we get paid it would be a blessing in disguise to get fired from this place.
That being said I am usually careful about what I say however when all your trying to do is your job and some one wants to be a smartass everyonce in awhile something may slip out. But then again thats the service they should expect when they use Ground. I am just unfortunate that the only language I speak is English...lol

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well I guess thats where I am lucky not being a employee. I suppose they could go after my Contractor to get rid of me, they would be off the hook for paying unemployement. These managers at Ground are a joke apparently they did not get the memo that we are not their employees they threaten drivers everyday with their jobs, Yell at us for wearing are jackets because they dont say FedEx when no one will give us one, Threaten us when we dont answer are phones, and threaten us for raising questions about preload going home when the belts are still rolling with packages coming down them. For what we get paid it would be a blessing in disguise to get fired from this place.
That being said I am usually careful about what I say however when all your trying to do is your job and some one wants to be a smartass everyonce in awhile something may slip out. But then again thats the service they should expect when they use Ground. I am just unfortunate that the only language I speak is English...lol

It really sounds like FedEx Hell over at Ground. I love it when FedEx claims that you're an "independent" operation, yet you have FedEx employees (managers) screaming at you as if you were a direct report. 2+2=1.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Exactly. If there is ever a question whether to believe the customer or you, FedEx is going to believe the customer, especially if they are a big shipper. You will most happily be thrown under the bus and presumed guilty. This is a big reason why we need a real grievance process, which would not be GFT or Open Door. Both of these joke programs will uphold management 99% of the time. As an Express employee, you have no rights unless you obtain a lawyer, at which point the company actually pays attention to you. Wonder why that is.

Yup,
Next time I get pulled into an office and someone says "So, can you tell me what happened at such-and-such place".
I'm telling them I'm not saying anything without HR here, or my lawyer. I'll know I've been found guilty, convicted, and hung already.