Dangerous Delivery

rod

Retired 22 years
If I had a customer who had threatened to shoot a UPS driver I would make an exception to the no management doing union work rule and tell them to deliver the friggin thing. I did have a crazy old lady on my route who nobody but me would deliver to. Every time I went on vacation if she got something during that week it would be waiting for me to deliver. I used to love having something for her when I had a rider because she would give them total hell while I just laughed. for some reason she and I got along great. I think it was because I made time to listen to her crazy stories.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Was the threat specifically directed at or made directly to you?

You cannot report a threat based on heresay.

Haven't you ever watched Judge Judy?

So if my roommate told me that while I was working that my girlfriend's crazy felon ex-boyfriend came by the house looking for me and was told to tell me that "he is looking for me, and when he finds me he's going to put a bullet in my head", that you are saying that I can not then call the police to report this threat because it is hearsay?

In your scenario the threat was directed at you and you have every right to report this threat to the authorities.

watdaflock?

What would you do in this situation? If UPS really cared about our safety, I would think this guy would have just given up all of his UPS privileges!
I'd tell your boss to Go Find Yourself and you're not delivering to that customer, ever.
I'd be shocked if UPS can legally force you to deliver there after the customer threatened to kill "you" the UPS employee.

Also kind of embarrassing UPS would risk losing a 30 yr employee over one minor customer.

Re-Raise

So, don't go in his garage. Deliver to the porch.
Are you seriously standing by this?

You sound like management and the way they can't ever admit they are wrong. Orion works great !!!

What is your story? I am really curious how your perception can be so different from mine.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yeah maybe he was just having a bad day and maybe when you redeliver will be having a worse one. I would tell management Monday morning that I'm not going there I don't feel safe.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yup.

They would advise you to consult with your employer on how to handle deliveries at this location.
The "consultation" would consist of me informing management that I will not set foot on that property ever again, no ifs ands or buts.

A person who threatens to murder someone needs to be reported to police. Even if the police cant take any action at that time it establishes a record that could be useful if the person continues to make threats or, God forbid, ever follows through on one.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The "consultation" would consist of me informing management that I will not set foot on that property ever again, no ifs ands or buts.

A person who threatens to murder someone needs to be reported to police. Even if the police cant take any action at that time it establishes a record that could be useful if the person continues to make threats or, God forbid, ever follows through on one.
Yup, well said. The company does not look out for us. Just because you're on the clock does not mean you're not responsible for your personal safety. Yeah lifting and lowering and look sharp, don't get cut and all that crap is nice but in the real world there's more than that

Nike

Boy some of you drivers are wussies I'd use the p form of that word but I can't. Let a customer come and try to fight me. I'd be glad to break their nose and take all their things in court. Man up! Most of the drivers I know are tough guys some loser who stays at home all day ain't got nothing on a real 10 hour a day blue collar working man

upschuck

Maybe it is different here, but here, security will fire you pretty quick if they find cause, but would not send you somewhere they thought could be dangerous for you to go.

I would have only a little apprehension about going there the first time, but if you feel you are in danger, then don't go.

upschuck

Boy some of you drivers are wussies I'd use the p form of that word but I can't. Let a customer come and try to fight me. I'd be glad to break their nose and take all their things in court. Man up! Most of the drivers I know are tough guys some loser who stays at home all day ain't got nothing on a real 10 hour a day blue collar working man
So, you going to bring fists to a gun fight?

Re-Raise

What? I am pretty sure I could kick this nut job's ass. That isn't the point.

Do any of you know people who have been shot and killed. I do.

I have actually testified at a couple of murder trials.

Are you saying we go and beat or kill problem delivery consignees?

Or just don't deliver to them?