Day after christmas

Overpaid Union Thug

Nah they overturned that. UPS package car drivers are considered short haul drivers and the 30 minute lunch requirement doesn't apply to us unless we travel outside a 100 mile radius from where your truck is parked in the morning. You may have a state requirement or something in your contract but no federal DOT requirement for you.

Yep. It's a state thing.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Nah they overturned that. UPS package car drivers are considered short haul drivers and the 30 minute lunch requirement doesn't apply to us unless we travel outside a 100 mile radius from where your truck is parked in the morning. You may have a state requirement or something in your contract but no federal DOT requirement for you.

The Central Region language, requires full-time employees to take a lunch period.

It doesn't say you have to eat. :biggrin:

They will disqualify newbies for putting in the time.... and delivering, during it.

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

ARTICLE 18-MEAL PERIOD (FULL-TIME)

"Employees shall be entitled to and required to take an unpaid meal period between the third (3rd) and sixth (6th) hour of work."

-Bug-

oldngray

nowhere special
If your balls are big enough,to put It on my truck.....go ahead make my day.

Just wait till after the first of January,so I can file for triple time pay.
02-Christmas-Jokes.jpg

AKCoverMan

Another of those "31 flavors" things at UPS. I worked under union contracts at airlines.. It did not matter where you worked everyone was under the same rules.

Here every city, town, hamlet, and village has different rules. At my center we have a RIGHT to take a 30-60 unpaid lunch break and they have to deal with it. But we do not have a contractual OBLIGATION to clock unpaid time we do not wish to take and will only get us home that much later. It's MY choice and I like it that way.

We also get two PAID 15 minute breaks. Many days a 30 min stop somewhere is plenty I would be bored stiff if I took 90 min down time during day. Plus it's nice having the meter running while I eat!

AKCoverMan

When I go above and beyond what the contract calls for i.e. Not taking my unpaid lunch period is it for MY benefit and/or my customers benefit.

You make us take a lunch,all year. now the rules change for Christmas? :censored2: that!

You can get a package from china the ,next day. Cant get a trailer from 300 miles away here on time?

How about "we love logistics" use that on our own company!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Take your lunch break. Leave the helper on the clock and buy him lunch. It is not your money Mr. Scrooge.
That's falsifying/dishonesty and grounds for termination. It's one thing to let a helper take a break and hang out in the jump seat while you're sorting or something, it's another to falsify a timecard.

That's falsifying/dishonesty and grounds for termination. It's one thing to let a helper take a break and hang out in the jump seat while you're sorting or something, it's another to falsify a timecard.
Yeah technically you could be right except termination would seem a little extreme. Are driver helpers required to take a lunch break? I don't think there is anything in the contract that covers it. If he was working all day sure but if he jumps on for just a few hours and you decide to take lunch so he just sits, no. Besides it's not your money. I don't think $10.00 is going to break the company bank.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yeah technically you could be right except termination would seem a little extreme. Are driver helpers required to take a lunch break? I don't think there is anything in the contract that covers it. If he was working all day sure but if he jumps on for just a few hours and you decide to take lunch so he just sits, no. Besides it's not your money. I don't think $10.00 is going to break the company bank.
It's not about if he's required to take it--it's about not reporting the lunch he took.