day after Thanksgiving

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I was told low seniority drivers get forced in on the day after Thanksgiving. What's your experience in your center? And what do we deliver that day? Everything?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was told low seniority drivers get forced in on the day after Thanksgiving. What's your experience in your center? And what do we deliver that day? Everything?

Volunteers first then force from the bottom until fully staffed. NDA, 2DA, 3DS. Work for hours only----if you request your 8 you will get your 8, whether it is on road or in bldg. Pay rates varies from region to region----it is straight time where I work. I am on vacation again this year but in years past I always signed up for this day----it is such easy money.

Volunteers first then force from the bottom until fully staffed. NDA, 2DA, 3DS. Work for hours only----if you request your 8 you will get your 8, whether it is on road or in bldg. Pay rates varies from region to region----it is straight time where I work. I am on vacation again this year but in years past I always signed up for this day----it is such easy money.

Next day and second day only......they count 3day as ground

upsyo

We don't deliver 3DS here on the day after Thanksgiving.

upschuck

We don't deliver 3ds on that day. Here we get double time, and since that got in the contract, they don't have to force anyone to drive. Get plenty of drivers, the bad part is if you're put on call.

upschuck

Air driver don't get the double time either. Normal day of work for them. Was in the office when an air driver wants to call in that day, but didn't want to lie to them and tell them they're sick, told them you don't have to give a reason why you're not coming into work, just that you won't be there.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Our bid sheet went up yesterday, I was the second one to sign up for some easy money. I didn't request eight hours yet, but I may change my mind. I'm on vacation now, I usually take my last week the latest I can. My Center forces all the cover and air drivers to work, the highest seniority bid drivers can request an eight hour day. Usually they come in at six to work Preload before they go out to deliver, a few drivers start late to get air pickups. Its always an easy day, I will get my delivery area and the one next to mine. I will run the early commits on the other route first, and then deliver everything on my area. I can then take my time finishing off the Savers and Second Days for the other route on the way back to the building. Besides making the extra money, I'm getting out of having to do something out of state with my in-laws.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here it used to be if you volunteered to work you got straight time but if you were forced to work you got OT. I think it was changed so everyone gets OT now (time and a half).

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We pay double time here. I have never been forced to work. Mostly higher ups sign up. If my family wasnt 4 hours away I would work for that gravy money anytime.

barnyard

KTM rider
I use my last week of vacation the week of Thanksgiving so that I do not get forced. Now that it is double time, that is not an issue. They put our bid sheet up on Monday. We need 12 drivers or they will force from the bottom. Last I looked, 10 had signed.

Next year, I will not use a vacation week for Thanksgiving, knowing that I will not be forced to work on black Friday.

iowa boy

Volunteer and then force from the bottom here. Last year we put 20 some drivers on the road and I think all but 3 were forced. The bad thing here is we pay double time also and still had to force that many to work.

I volunteered as the easy money is to hard for the missus to pass up.